PDA

View Full Version : boxing tips i want to go amatuer

arnoldsclone
11-03-2006, 08:38 AM
:clap: hey all, I am 21 years old, 6' and 230 lbs with roughly 20% body fat. I have 5 years of various martial arts, 3 years kempo, 2 years tae kwon do and have been lifting for a few years but seriously for a year and a half. I like my cardio abilities, and i love to "box" for cardio instead now. Actually i'm trying to be a boxer. I go to the gym monday through friday and sunday. I have 2 work outs that i do every other day. I body builded for a year and lost 70+ pounds so i'm confident in my strength, but need to learn technique, and a good program to train with. the workouts-

i do this circuit untill i double over and am dead
monday
speed bag while switching lead hand till i lose coordination-
-heavy bag, 100lbs- jab jab cross, jab jab hook, jab jab jab jab, cross
switch lead hands then same( i'm trying to learn southpaw as much as my right hand so i can screw with people, and have an advantage)-
-sit ups 40-45 reps with a jab and cross at the top-
-12-16 pull ups-
- 30 +- military push ups
tuesday- i do 3 sets of everything
same work out on the heavy bag and speed bag
- I "dance" untill i am winded ( 7-10 minutes)
- skull crushers - 12-14 reps-
- side raises - 12 -14 reps-
- military press- 12-14 reps
- sit ups with one two combo at top 40 +- reps-

how does this strike you guys who HAVE boxing experience or fighting experience. I want to box for love of the sport and the type of condition you get into by boxing. on a side note what type of gloves etc. should i get because i bought some everlast half fingers and my knuckles are all sore as hell, and half are bare and bleeding. thanks for any advice.....

Max Thunder
11-03-2006, 11:00 AM
There is great info on that site: www.rossboxing.com

I think the best kind of training for boxing, especially the short amateur fights, is a lot of strength and explosive exercises combined with GPP.

12-14 reps look too high, you don't need that kind of endurance, what you need is conditioning (GPP).

In my opinions, sit ups are overrated, you don't need that kind of function (flexion using the abs). Abs are usually contracting isometrically, so that's how they should be trained. Overhead exercises (military press, push presses, snatches) strengthen them, so do deadlifts.

Note that I don't box myself, although I had a bit of training from a great coach.

Vita
11-03-2006, 11:11 AM
stick with the big compound movements for strength with your weight training and box to train boxing.

you say you go to a gym, is it a boxing gym? if not, i'd suggest you go that route, nothing will help more than sparring...

edit: also, you might want to find a different website where there are more boxers, such as martial arts planet...

arnoldsclone
11-03-2006, 01:39 PM
thanks for the help, I found all that i needed on rossboxing, great site:read:

BJJfighter
11-03-2006, 09:14 PM
use hand wraps, most boxing gyms sell them for like $7..Train with REAL bag gloves, not the fake mma everlast junk..you don't grapple in boxing.. =( Invest in Ringside products.. I swear by them and they are very durable.. =)

sorry everlast fans.. i hate the company =(

Detard
11-03-2006, 09:52 PM
check out www.sherdog.net for the forums and www.sherdog.com for all things fighting related. both are very informative

arnoldsclone
11-04-2006, 09:48 AM
thanks a bunch, looks like i'm going to buy some wraps and some bag glovesw today when i get out of work!

Johnny Blazin
11-12-2006, 04:23 AM
Live sparring is the most important this cant be over emphasised, next to that is pad work with a trainer. Don't forget running (both LSD and HIIT), skipping and shadow boxing infront of a mirror.

Unless your a real good inside fighter you'll wanna drop alot of weight. At 6' and 230lbs your going to be giving up a huge height and reach advantage, your in super heavy weight, the highest weight class which means any weight 90kg (200lbs) and over. A more ideal weight would be around 75kg (165lbs) or 81kg (178lbs).

Rossboxings a good site and his books are worth the money, I own 4 myself.

arnoldsclone
11-13-2006, 04:50 PM
thanks for the tip, i am very muscular, and have great knockout power, when i hit the heavy bag it jumps really nice(POP!). i have a very nice uppercut as well. i think i want to be a cruiser weight. i want to be 199-200 lbs. I have a very good reach, i have "monkey arms" . I practice staying as close as possible to the heavy bag when i hit it though, so i can be powerful when tied up etc. I'm running, dancing while hitting the heavy bag, proficient with the speed bag as well i can hit it for 5 + minutes at a time straight.:spam: :dj:

i have gotten some great tips lately by some people who are proffesionals