PDA

View Full Version : Baked Chicken Plain? what can you add?

mirrorman9
11-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Ok I have been eating plain ol baked chicken breast for about 7 months now. I was just curious if addiing some stuff for flavor hurts, or is it better to just stick to this. I'm talking about using shake n bake, or pouring some chicken gravy, or even baking it with chicken noodle soup and putting some fat free cheese on it? The only downfall I'm seeing about these things is maybe that they might be a little high in sodium? other than that there is typically low fat. I'm trying to eat really clean, just a question. Thanks:help:

KY23
11-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Actually I tried something the other day that turned out really good. I use a magic bullet to blend my protein shakes. I used it to grind up a small handful of almonds...then rolled my chicken in some egg and then in the almond powder. I put it in a pan with some olive oil for just a couple minutes on each side to brown it and then baked it for 30 minutes.

Turned out really really good. Almost like a breading and really gave it a good taste. Next time I'm going to add alittle wheat flour.

I'd stay away from any of the processed type mixes like shake and bake. The enriched flour they use and the other ingredients that just do not have any value. Use natural things like garlic, pepper, lemon, limes, paprika and other spices. Less empty calories and actually tastes much better.

mirrorman9
11-04-2006, 10:46 AM
I understand that you should stay away from processed foods. But to season 6 large chicken breasts with shake n bake its only 40 calories, which is only about 6.5 calories added to each piece of chicken. Is this the reason I should be staying away from proccessed foods, or am I just missing something. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

ddegroff
11-04-2006, 12:21 PM
I would say add hot sauce to your chicken.

Sodium isn't as big deal as everyone makes it out to be. BUT I would just add hot sauce/garlic/pepper and any other seasonings you like.

This sounds really good!:

Actually I tried something the other day that turned out really good. I use a magic bullet to blend my protein shakes. I used it to grind up a small handful of almonds...then rolled my chicken in some egg and then in the almond powder. I put it in a pan with some olive oil for just a couple minutes on each side to brown it and then baked it for 30 minutes.

Turned out really really good. Almost like a breading and really gave it a good taste. Next time I'm going to add alittle wheat flour.

I'd stay away from any of the processed type mixes like shake and bake. The enriched flour they use and the other ingredients that just do not have any value. Use natural things like garlic, pepper, lemon, limes, paprika and other spices. Less empty calories and actually tastes much better

kaption
11-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Non fat Kraft Ceaser salad dressing (20 cals per tablespoon). I love it on chicken or turkey. I cut the meat into small cubes, through in some celery for crunch. Nice low carb, low fat snack, I even eat the meat cold. Could be a little high in sodium if that is a concern of yours.

If thats not up your alley just go through the spice section at the grocers. They make blends, ie. italian, greek, ect. Toss some on, but again may be high in sodium.

RedSpikeyThing
11-04-2006, 02:50 PM
You can do all sorts of good things. Like kaption said, investigate the spice alley. Grab some spice mixes for convenience, but the best way is to grab a bunch unmixed spices. Experiment with flavours.

Personally, I roast whole chickens and eat it thoughout the week. It is MUCH cheaper and I think it tastes better, too.

Turnip
11-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Cajun seasoning is really good.