PDA

View Full Version : 200 lb dumbell curl? (bet at MY job)

MrWebb78
11-03-2006, 10:42 PM
OK, so similar to the other bet at the office thread, there is a guy at my work claiming to be superhuman and say he can do a one arm dumbell curl of 200 lbs.

here is the guy, he is about 6'4", 250ish. he is a world champion arm wrestler who has videos online and is respected in the arm wrestling world. I won't post his name or his videos until he says it's ok(wont be til monday). he claims that he "does it all the time".

I said absolutely no way can ANYONE one arm curl 200lbs. also similar to the other bet thread, he will put "anything" on the line. I just said 100 bucks and he said we can do it any gym. Now I need to find a gym with dumbells that go to 200 lbs, I believe Golds does, will need to double check.

Here is my question, what is the most you have seen/heard/read about anyone doing in dumbell or barbell curls? I know this guy is full of it, but even WSM cant do this lift, am I wrong?

dtshen
11-03-2006, 10:53 PM
no, unless he swings the weight up with momentum and uses poor form then i can imagine someone doing 200 lb curl

Jinkies
11-03-2006, 11:19 PM
I really think it would impossible not because its too heavy ( even though I've never ever heard of it being done) but because of that fact that that much weight to way to much of imbalance. Unless this guy has some shaq size hands and thick forearms I don't see it happening or even being picked up and positioned right.

bloodninja
11-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro arm wrestler...yes I believe it can be done. He's going to do it as a preacher curl.

bjohnso
11-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Pro arm wrestler...yes I believe it can be done. He's going to do it as a preacher curl.

I can't tell if you're serious, but that's roughly a 400lb two-hand preacher curl. Please.

Bohizzle
11-04-2006, 06:23 AM
with some english I'd say he could do it if he's a world class arm wrestler. smart choice in not going for $1000 lol.

Andrew

ShockBoxer
11-04-2006, 06:31 AM
If he cheats it I could see a guy that big doing it, sure. Make him do it strapped to a tree or with his heels, ass, and shoulders remaining in contact with a wall at all times and I doubt it.

Bob
11-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Now Way.. don't take the bet.. you will lose.
There a big difference between a 155 lb office kid trying to BP what Wolfy can..
But a world champion ARM wrestler.. you don't know, this could be one of his freak strengths..

1mmort4l
11-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Hmmm, World champ arm wrestler would have to be in the Elite range of humans...
200lb dumbells is a stretch though. Are you sure he doesnt mean 200 on a preacher or something? That in itself would be impressive, but definately possible.

DarrenEff
11-04-2006, 06:52 AM
There is absolutely no way he can do a proper DB curl of 200lbs. As everyone else said, if he swings it...maybe. Just tell him he isn't allowed to do that =P

Stumprrp
11-04-2006, 06:56 AM
with swing, and even a dip, it would be tough, magnus curls 300+ with english and on a barbell, and he is one of the strongest ever.

Davidelmo
11-04-2006, 08:03 AM
200lb DUMBELL curls.. no way.

You're telling me that he can curl what ronnie benches?

WBBIRL
11-04-2006, 09:10 AM
with swing, and even a dip, it would be tough, magnus curls 300+ with english and on a barbell, and he is one of the strongest ever.

Magnus does that with a barbell, which means two hands and magnus has freak strength. No way this guy does 50 pounds more then magnus.

DeHartD
11-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm saying no way, that's almost his entire body weight. Doing proper form, there's no way. Arm wrestlers normally do have massive forearms... but I would definitely throw a hundred spot on it. You gonna videotape it?

MrWebb78
11-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah I was very specific when we were arguing over this. I said standing still with no body english and he kept saying "all the time."

If it does happen I may tape it, but I dont want to rub it in that I was right. he is a good guy and a decent friend, so i dont want to disrespect him.

He has massive forearms, but how much does that really matter in a curl?

KingJustin
11-04-2006, 10:05 AM
With no body english whatsoever, no way. I think the world record on "strict barbell curls" is under 300 lbs, so there's no way he can DB curl 2/3s of that.

You can feel safe taking the bet. You could probably take the bet and allow moderate cheating.

That said, most of the time really strong guys know how strong they really are, and don't lie about it or anything. Unlike the idiot that DeHartD works with, this guy probably has a clue of what's going on.

Fun fact: AFAIK, the world record on "cheat curls" is held by Kaz, who did 350 lbs about 15 times.

Guido
11-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Establish the rules before hand and then see if he still agrees to it.

Stumprrp
11-04-2006, 10:58 AM
350 15 times, ok, let me kill myself NOW lol.

how big are his forearms? they play a big role in curling, but to curl a 200 lb i think you would need 18 inch forearms lol

McIrish
11-04-2006, 11:00 AM
If it does happen I may tape it, but I dont want to rub it in that I was right. he is a good guy and a decent friend, so i dont want to disrespect him.

I see one of two things happening here.

1) You win the bet, take his $100, and you've negatively affected your relationship.
2) He wins the bet, you grudgingly fork over $100, and you're left with a bad taste in your mouth, because he definitely bent the rules a little to manage 200lbs for a curl (assuming there's no way he can do it with strict form, which I believe is a fair assumption).

If this guy is a remotely decent buddy and isn't mouthing off to the whole office about how he's going to wipe the floor with you, etc., I say limit the stakes. In fact, make it something trivial - he buys you a beer, you guys get a good laugh out of it and forget about it. If this bet is in dollars, it won't bode well for ya either way, my friend.

Powdered_Power
11-04-2006, 11:45 AM
McIrish has a point here, if he's the person you say he is... I wouldnt be betting with him :idea:

I see two possible outcomes here:

1. He wins the bet and you have to fork over 100$
2. He loses the bet and proceeds to beat you to a pulp with his huge forearms, you lose the contents of your wallet at the time.

On a serious note, it seems highly unlikely that he will actually be able to curl 200 lbs. By the way, wouldnt it be easier to curl 2 200lb dumbells as opposed to 1? I'm just thinking the leverage he gets while bringing one down will assist him in bringing the other up ...maybe this is an overactive imagination on my part though.

HahnB
11-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Ronnie uses 205lb dumbells to bench with, there's no way this guy can CURL one.

PhilsterT
11-04-2006, 12:09 PM
So, this thread better get somewhere, unlike the other one.

MrWebb78
11-04-2006, 12:25 PM
2) He wins the bet, you grudgingly fork over $100, and you're left with a bad taste in your mouth, because he definitely bent the rules a little to manage 200lbs for a curl (assuming there's no way he can do it with strict form, which I believe is a fair assumption).

actually this is why I want to make a small bet. If he is superman and does it, then I dont mind paying. I enjoy watching WSM and other strength displays, there is no way I could be upset at losing a little money at something like this.

MrWebb78
11-04-2006, 12:25 PM
He loses the bet and proceeds to beat you to a pulp with his huge forearms, you lose the contents of your wallet at the time.

ok, and now back to reality.

MrWebb78
11-04-2006, 12:27 PM
350 15 times, ok, let me kill myself NOW lol.

how big are his forearms? they play a big role in curling, but to curl a 200 lb i think you would need 18 inch forearms lol

Unless my eyes deceive me, he has about 18 inch forearms. I'm willing to bet if they were measured they would be damn close, if not actually 18, they are awesome forearms, lean too.

WBBIRL
11-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I really dont think it matters, 200 pounds is just insane to curl... I barely ever see guys using more then 50's to curl and hes going for 200's?

I've rarely if ever even see a 100 pound dumbell being curled, so I think a 200 is just right out of the question.

Stumprrp
11-04-2006, 01:19 PM
damn im jealous! i want em, haha

bloodninja
11-04-2006, 02:03 PM
He's not going to do it with strict form, he's just BSin you if he says that. He's going to go to the preacher curl, do it with one dumbbell and put his left hand on the left corner and use his whole body to heave it up diagonally, just like he was arm wrestling.

MrWebb78
11-04-2006, 02:29 PM
He's not going to do it with strict form, he's just BSin you if he says that. He's going to go to the preacher curl, do it with one dumbbell and put his left hand on the left corner and use his whole body to heave it up diagonally, just like he was arm wrestling.

this is what I thought. I went over with him about 5 times to cover it all. he claims it is a standing curl, with no body english. just an honest to god 200 lb curl.

I still don't think it's possible, it just bothers me how persistent he is about being able to do it.

DeHartD
11-04-2006, 02:30 PM

for sure, this guy is obviously strong in the arms, but 200 lb dumbells is super human.

DeHartD
11-04-2006, 02:34 PM
this is what I thought. I went over with him about 5 times to cover it all. he claims it is a standing curl, with no body english. just an honest to god 200 lb curl.

I still don't think it's possible, it just bothers me how persistent he is about being able to do it.

ya that's exactly how this kid at work is... he acts like its not even a big deal, no matter what i say. I'm gonna take his money and laugh it up at the bar with my friends that night haha.

You should at least make this guy get the tab on a night out or something, rather than give you straight cash. Only because you said you were friends.

KingJustin
11-04-2006, 03:23 PM
This one really is an odd situation. The world record for 1-arm strict DB curls is below 200lbs, so there's absolutely no way he can do it.

But, if the guy is a total beast and a world-class strength-athlete, he knows what a strict DB curl is, and he probably doesn't care to make **** up. It's like Ronnie Coleman telling people he is a lean 350 lbs. He just wouldn't do that.

Nik00117
11-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Erm, maybe we got a new world record breaker here?

I wanna see the video.

This isn't like the bet at the office.

I ain't going say he can't do it, but I got my doubts.

McIrish
11-04-2006, 08:59 PM
You should at least make this guy get the tab on a night out or something, rather than give you straight cash. Only because you said you were friends.

Yeah, that's actually a really good suggestion. I think he'd be way more willing to pay $100 in a bar tab (or less, most likely) than fork over $100 in hard cash. It'll leave less of a sting, and you can both still be friends afterwards, even though it's the same monetary value.

bill
11-04-2006, 09:55 PM
I watched one of the barbarian brothers youtube doing reps with 150's. They where just heaving it up though. Check out Bertil Fox (youtube) doing some crazy incline curls

Jordanbcool
11-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Just go into this thread, heres my take.

1) I personally don't think he can do it. Not today or tomarrow or any other day with any amount of steroids/training etc. etc.

But you all have to realize how crazy we would sound if we went back in time and said we could now fly in 2006. Maybe not us, but we've made machines to do it for us. I never thought a person could lift cars but I've seen it. I've see a person balance a small car on their head.........I've seen people pull airplanes and trains like toy cars.........

I believe though, that their is essentially nothing we cannot accomplish. If we can't do it with will or power we'll make some sort of mechanical machine to do it for us.

So maybe he can't do it but I wouldnt be surprised if he did......seems pretty crazy, but you gotta remember how many insanly impossible barriers we've already shattered in our small existance as a species.

Thexile
11-05-2006, 12:18 PM
whats 'english'?

and

did this guy do the curl yet or what?

MrWebb78
11-05-2006, 01:11 PM
no, we were talking about it thrusday night, and i wont see him again til monday. I just wanted to get some opinions over the weekend. If i decide to make a bet then it wont be til midweek probably.

Walrus
11-05-2006, 01:27 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=body%20English

body English
n.
Bodily movement in a usually unconscious attempt to influence the movement of a propelled object, such as a ball.

The usually irregular movement or spin of a propelled object as if it were influenced by this twisting.

a motion of the body by a player as if to make an object already propelled go in the desired direction

RickTheDestroyer
11-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm with the dudes who say it make something like a bar tab or beer- just because you don't mind forking over dough if does miraculously do it, when he doesn't suceed (which he won't), there might be a grudge there that would strain your friendship.

Or you COULD just bet money, and when he loses play it off and give him a "nah man, just buy me some brews" and everything would be good.
Either way, I definitely want to see a vid of this.

Hoaxy
11-05-2006, 03:42 PM
I think the record for dumbbell curl is 220 pounds? Barbell is 440? Set by same person I believe. I read this in an article awhile ago...i'll try and find it.

Invain
11-05-2006, 08:02 PM
:omg: I wanna see him snap is arm while tring to dumbbell curl 200 lbs.

Levantar
11-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I think the record for dumbbell curl is 220 pounds? Barbell is 440? Set by same person I believe. I read this in an article awhile ago...i'll try and find it.
WOW...so many different "world records" for dumbell curling.

MrWebb78
11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
little update, since we work at UPS and get heavy packages in all the time, we happened to get a cylinder of something weighting 137 lbs, with a handle on it. this thing was the ideal shape for curling, since it was narrow enough to let him start at his side and try and pull straight up.

to his credit, it came about halfway up and made me very nervous. then it stuck and he couldnt get it. after a little ribbing he still claimed that he has done it. he said this wasn't a dumbell and he didnt even warm up. I let it go after that.

There was no bet made.

Stumprrp
11-07-2006, 11:26 AM
even a half curl with 137 is impressive lol

GrumpyTX
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
hmmm, it would be interesting to see.

There was a guy in my platoon in the marine corps that did dumbell curls with 110's for 2 reps. He did the first rep with proper form and then threw up the second one cheating some. Guy had massive forearms and I have never met anyone that had a stronger handshake.

He was weak, on average, everywhere else except his curls.

Stumprrp
11-07-2006, 11:36 AM
hmmm, it would be interesting to see.

There was a guy in my platoon in the marine corps that did dumbell curls with 110's for 2 reps. He did the first rep with proper form and then threw up the second one cheating some. Guy had massive forearms and I have never met anyone that had a stronger handshake.

He was weak, on average, everywhere else except his curls.

interesting, how was his pullups or rows? bench?

GrumpyTX
11-07-2006, 12:00 PM
interesting, how was his pullups or rows? bench?

His pullups were strong when we had PT. He could easily get the 20 reps, he usually stopped there, same as I, so we could save strength for the sittups and run. The only time I saw him bench was 245 x 3 and he stuggled for that.

Never saw any shoulder pressing but talking to him one day and he said his squat was his weakest and he maxed out around 265. Alot of this could be due to his height, he was roughly 6'2 to 6'3" cause I remember he appeared to be the same height as my step father.

Now I did see an amazing feat while in the Marine Corps. My drill instructor, Sgt. Puryer, did something amazing on the rope climb. He had on full gear (helmet, 85 pound pack, boots, etc) and climbed the ropes with 1 rope in each hand without using his legs at all. He swung his hips back and forth on the ropes and went all the way to the top. His back was probably the widest back I have ever seen.

Three
11-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I watched one of the barbarian brothers youtube doing reps with 150's. They where just heaving it up though. Check out Bertil Fox (youtube) doing some crazy incline curls

I've never seen anyone do curls like that. What's the deal with those? Works triceps too or something?

This is the video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-EAqbgD6w

Beast
11-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Incline DB curls are really good, but I don't now wtf he was doing. Guess it worked for him - his arms are huge.

heathj
11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
i curled 75 lbs. relatively easy back in the day...

you can curl more than half of a two-arm with a one-arm though...i bet there are some members on this board that could curl over 100 fairly easily.

Three
11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
^^ I bet you're right. If done up to 60's (by no means recently) and I've never really considered myself "strong".

DeHartD
11-07-2006, 02:52 PM
when is this going down?

RedSpikeyThing
11-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I've never seen anyone do curls like that. What's the deal with those? Works triceps too or something?

Seems good for practical strength. When do you ever need to curl something with your back against a wall?

On that note, when do you ever really need to curl anything....

Stumprrp
11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Red- when your picking a heavy box up or something i guess

ive never done 1 arm dumbbell curls, heavyest ive done is 90 lb hammers for 2 reps, not strict but not dirty, ill try it i guess

RedSpikeyThing
11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Red- when your picking a heavy box up or something i guess

I wouldn't be using my arms in a curling motion....I can gurantee I would deadlift it.

Also, that doesn't address the impracticiality of a strict curl.

Stumprrp
11-07-2006, 07:58 PM
well yeah i would deadlift it to, i guess practical curls arent worth much, but they built strong arms, and we want a strong body dont we? lol

dont give me the compounds built strong arms either, you need some direct work, i dont care who you are, your not benching 600 with no tricep training.

bill
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Incline DB curls are really good, but I don't now wtf he was doing. Guess it worked for him - his arms are huge.
Yeah I don't think anyone should tell Bertil Fox, he form is off!

bodybuilderam
11-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Unless my eyes deceive me, he has about 18 inch forearms. I'm willing to bet if they were measured they would be damn close, if not actually 18, they are awesome forearms, lean too.

18 ****ing inch forearms?! That's ****ing massive.