PDA

View Full Version : Overweight guy looking for some advice

WildJames
11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey all. I have made a conscious effort to change my life in many ways, and one of them is my diet and physical activity. I lost about 45 pounds 2 years ago doing mainly Weight Watchers and running daily. I didn't do all the meeting stuff, I just know the formula and hit my points every day and never went over. I have gained back about 30 of those pounds, and I was still overweight to begin with. I'm looking to lose around 75 pounds. Here is the program I have placed myself on, please critique and offer any advice you think would help me.

I am currently 25 years old, 6'3" 330 pounds. I am not a slob, I have played sports most of my life, and can run and play sports without "dying", as most guys my weight probably would. My diet consists of waking up to a bowl of Kashi whole grain and fiber cereal with fat free milk, and an apple or and orange. A couple hours later I'll snack on more fruit, maybe a couple slices of lunch meat, turkey chicken whatever. I work at a restaurant, so for dinner I usually eat a bowl of soup and a piece of 8 ounce grilled chicken with a salad. I snack on rice cakes, fruit, and vegetables during the day when I get hunger pangs. I drink about 100 ounces of water a day, more depending on how hard work is. The only other thing than water I will drink is some diet soda if I get a craving. I haven't had regular soda in so long that diet tastes extremely sweet to me, curing some sweet tooth. I do not know exactly how many calories I eat a day, I would approximate 1800-2000. I do not feel extremely hungry because I snack often. I take a Centrum chewable multivitamin daily. I feel extremely full by the end of the day and would have a tough time eating more than what I eat currently.

For exercise I do the eliptical machine at Gold's Gym every day of the week. I don't feel a need to take a day off. I started at 10 minutes and move up 15 seconds a day, not wanting to do what I've done in the past and storm into Golds like a bad ass, do 45 minutes on it, and never come back. It's working extremely well for me so far. I go in fully concentrated with music that pisses me off playing on my mp3 player, and complete my time goal every day. I feel very energized every day and proud of the work I've done. I'm only a week into my program though, and want to make sure I am doing things correctly to realize my goals of approx 250 lbs.

Also I have tried weightlifting and cardio simultaneously in the past, and it didn't work out too well for me. I read that it's not a good idea to do both, and as of now I am not interested in weightlifting until I get to the weight I want to get at, then lessen my cardio to approx 5 days a week and begin a lifting program. But for now, my only goals are to cut fat, waist size, and get in very very good shape that by the time spring comes, I'll be able to run 2-3 miles without a problem. Since it's getting cold out and I'm just beginning now, I'm doing my only cardio at Gold's until the spring.

So if anyone has any ideas/suggestions/complaints about how I'm going about this, please let me know what I can do better. I am very very serious about this and will accept nothing but success. Thanks all for any responses!

James

silverstar
11-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Id say for starters you can hit atlarge Nutrition site and get some Nitrean it will help with your hunger cravings and it will help you drop weight. That and Thermocin after taking the thermocin by the end of the week my pants are fitting losse and then I cheat and gain it back on the weekend thats when I was only working out in the gym twice a week. Centrum chewable multivitamin are week compared to the Multi -plus that atlarge sells. you can use natty peanut butter for a evening snack. I myself have lost weight doing this. you can hit the search on what people are eating and apply it to what works for you. hit the Diet and Nutrition section and read up on it and search though it . I could go on and on but this should get you started you will pick up on stuff to help you as you keep reading .

WildJames
11-06-2006, 10:57 PM
I just purchased Thermocin from the atlarge website. I'd like some more opinions if I am going about this the correct way, and if there is anything I can do better. Thanks alot!

Bob
11-06-2006, 11:16 PM
3 Questions for ya?

What burns more calories? Muscle or Fat?
What takes up less space? 1 lb of Muscle or 1 lb of fat?

And finally.. what idiot article did you read that said "it's not a good idea to do both lifting and cardio"?

If you ain't lifting.. you ain't optimizing your ability to get leaner...
Take a look at Anthony's Journal if you think lifting and "cardio" don't mix.. in the form of HIIT/Crossfit type of cardio that is..
Long slow cardio will NOT get you to the place you want to be.. Take a look at Built's journal.. from the start.. she use to be a runner.. and "fat".. then she learned to lift heavy weights.. and now she's BUILT!!

Bob
11-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I just purchased Thermocin from the atlarge website. I'd like some more opinions if I am going about this the correct way, and if there is anything I can do better. Thanks alot!
I love At Large Nutrition.. BUT..
there is a famous saying on WBB.. Supplements don't work unless you have you diet and exercise in shape first!!

Thermocin won't do crap.. until you are eating right and exercising right.. and just doing the ellipitical is not right.

Congrats on your efforts to get back in shape.. and lose the weight.. but as Weight Watchers proofed to you last time.. it's more then one thing.. and it's a lifestyle. Lift heavy, Eat Right & Rest Enough..

Good luck..

Levantar
11-07-2006, 12:45 AM
3 Questions for ya?

What burns more calories? Muscle or Fat?
What takes up less space? 1 lb of Muscle or 1 lb of fat?

And finally.. what idiot article did you read that said "it's not a good idea to do both lifting and cardio"?

If you ain't lifting.. you ain't optimizing your ability to get leaner...
Take a look at Anthony's Journal if you think lifting and "cardio" don't mix.. in the form of HIIT/Crossfit type of cardio that is..
Long slow cardio will NOT get you to the place you want to be.. Take a look at Built's journal.. from the start.. she use to be a runner.. and "fat".. then she learned to lift heavy weights.. and now she's BUILT!!

The guy said he's not interested in weightlifting until he drops some weight (75lbs?). The OP is 75-80lbs over his desired weight! If he is comfortable running and it is something he can stick to then you shouldn't discourage that. Asking someone to do more than they are mentally ready for is a recipe for having them quit. I know where your going with the weightlifting side but he clearly stated he is not ready for that right now.

If you can stick with your running cardio and keep eating like your eating you'll drop weight fast and stand a good chance of keeping it off with your attitude. The only supplement I would suggest for you is fish oil.

When you get where you want to be and are ready to start strength training then this forum will still be here for you.

Built
11-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Personally, I'd ditch the cardio and lift heavy 4 days a week. Go for a nice walk in your off days.

You'll lose fat instead of muscle, and you'll KEEP it off!

Cardio only + low calories = temporary weight loss in the form of muscle and fat. Lousy way to go. Guaranteed to fail in the long run.

Welcome to the board. Read, and please stick around so we can help you reach and maintain your goal.

WildJames
11-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Ouch, conflicting advice, hehe. I understand both sides. The reason I was worried about lifting while losing weight is because I want to lose a serious amount of weight, and I figured that gaining more muscle would keep me around my current weight. Basically what I mean is, I am worried about becoming like an NFL lineman, strong as hell but with quite a bit of fat on them. I figured my best path would be to lose about 75 pounds, then start a lifting program. If I am wrong, and it appears that I am, please correct me :help:

The reason I was going to go about this way is because I've had past success with this program, I lost a lot of weight and was complimented by friends and family on how I looked, and I never picked up a weight. But as Built said, it ended up in failure because I quit. I know I would not do that this time, but I want to go about this 100% correctly this time, so I am open to changing. Thanks all!

Nicoman
11-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Do yourself a favor, listen and put into practice what Built said.

FREAKZILLA
11-07-2006, 08:07 AM
I agree with Built's advice. At one point I was up to 388!!! I am 6'2 and am 26 years old, so we are similar.

I have had a great diet, slipping up only a few times, and have been lifting hard 4 days a week. In the last 3 months I have dropped 35 lbs! Off of lifting and eating clean. The only cardio I do is on my leg days, and that is just 10 minutes on the bike for warm-ups.

The only suppliments I use at this point are: protien, creatine, and a multi. I was thinking of throwing in a thermo, but I am still unsure if it is right at this point in time.

Unreal
11-07-2006, 09:11 AM
I was well over 300, dropped down to 195. First diet is key. Sounds like yours needs alot of help. Sounds heavy on carbs, and light on protein and fat. Readjust your diet first. Start tracking your calories and macros. Second, LIFT LIFT LIFT LIFT!!!!! Like Built said, lifting is more important then cardio. When I was really fat I would lift 4 times a week and do 25-30 minutes on the elliptical after lifting, and 30-40 minutes on off days. Muscle burns cals, and you want to keep your muscle. With what your doing your going to burn alot of LBM, then you will have to eat less and less to lose weight. Sooner or later you will be at a point where you can't take it and start putting the weight back on. Now if you lift and maintain or gain some muscle, you can eat more and still lose weight. I use to have to eat 1500 cals or so to lose, now I can easily lose at 2500 a day. My next diet will probably have me at 3000 cals a day just from the added LBM I have now.

reloaded
11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Built has a point. I have been told time and time again that weightlifting is a much better 'weight control' (along with proper diet) than cardio could ever be. I would agree.

WildJames
11-07-2006, 11:07 AM
I began tracking everything I eat on fitday.com today. It's really helpful. How would you recommend I adjust my diet or should I wait a week and see what fitday says? I am eating nothing but good foods, fruits, vegetables, etc. Also is there any problem in eating Lean Cuisine frozen meals?

What type of cardio/weight training program should I get myself into? As stated above, my #1 goal is to drastically reduce my body fat and weight. I'm ok with just maintaining my current muscle, I have plenty of time to develop that after I'm not such a fat ass. Thanks all who have replied and who will reply, it's much appreciated, taken to heart.

Razoul
11-07-2006, 12:27 PM
WBB1 is a good routine to start with. Thats the program Im currently on. Lost 22 pounds in the last 2 months and gained some muscle so I probably lost more that 22 pounds of fat. Its intresting when some normal activities like picking up 50 lbs bags of dog food or grabbing a 6 gallon box of water no longer take any effort at all. The two biggest things I learned here was to track your diet on fitday and the goal is not to lose weight but to lose fat. Losing muscle will get you nowhere.

reloaded
11-07-2006, 12:36 PM
The word on the street is to track your calories for a week and see how many calories you're eating. Then you can cut calories accordingly. Most people around here use >=1 gram of protein and .5 gram fat per pound of lbm.

WildJames
11-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Well after lots and lots of forum searching and reading previous threads, I have decided to follow Built's cutting program. One question though. I have begun today to track my eating habits on fitday so that I can get the information required from her thread. So I will get a 'maintenance calorie' number once a week of inputs is complete. But I have already begun my diet, so how will I know what to take 10-20% off of to cut? How do I know that week of results will give me a correct number to take 10-20% off of to be able to cut I guess is my question, since I'm already eating healthy.

edit: I read some more today in an article entitled Your First Cutting Guide that to find out how many calories a day you should be eating, multiply your body weight by approximately 12. That would be 3960 calories a day, which is way way too much for me to lose any weight. If I'm supposed to cut 10-20% off of that to cut, that's still 3160 calories at 20% cut. I'm eating I believe approximately 2000 calories a day, and am completely stuffed by the end of the day. I don't know how increasing another 1000 would allow me to lose weight. Basically I am confused.

how its done77
11-07-2006, 03:12 PM
eat a tiny breakfast and a protien shake at lunch and a small dinner you lose weight. My cousin lose like 15 pounds in 1 month by eating very little. And after a while you stomach shrink's and its better then taking a drug store drug.

Unreal
11-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Those calculators aren't that accurate. Just eat what your eating, and track your weight. You can still get an idea of your maintence from what your doing.

Built
11-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Wildjames, track for a week your current "dieting" calories, then leave them there, but with the readjusted macros. Post up what that turns into, we'll take it from there.

WildJames
11-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Wildjames, track for a week your current "dieting" calories, then leave them there, but with the readjusted macros. Post up what that turns into, we'll take it from there.

I certainly will Built. One question though, what do you mean by readjusted macros?

Built
11-08-2006, 01:13 AM
We'll take your current calories, and optimize them for protein and fat.

Just get me a week's average cals, and grams of fat, protein and carb. You'll understand what I mean when you see it.

krboyd7
11-08-2006, 02:07 AM
I think like you say already,is to eat little but often.I woul;d reccomend that one meal in 7 or even 10 days,you should forget the diet but only for one meal.I found this maintains your motivation.I would personally cut out the rice cakes!Eat about 5 small meals a day,cut down on carbs but do not cut them out completely!Increase your protein intake(i know your not trying to gain muscle mass but trust me protein has it's other benefits).Protein actually digests slower and burns more calories during this.
Dont go to the gym everyday,remember your body needs its rest.

Hope you achieve your goals

WildJames
11-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the great advice all. I am going to begin lifting today, but with some cardio as well, because you can't get into good aerobic shape just lifting, can you? I have some personal reasons I'm sure you can figure out why I want to be in much better aerobic shape as well. :)

Once I get a week's worth of fitday I will report it to this thread. Thank you very much all for the support + advice.

WildJames
11-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Just thought I would update you all on my progress. I have begun the WBB1 lifting program, and I'm feeling just great. I've greatly increased my protein daily, now I just need to work on decreasing carbs and increasing fats. I'm completing day 3 today of fitday, and I am inputting every single thing I eat. Once I get a week's worth of results, I'll post them here for Built and others to analyze/critique. Thanks again for the great advice all, it's been so helpful to me.

Oh, and I went to Gold's today and asked a personal trainer to measure my bodyfat. All they have is a 2 handled machine you hold and it gives you a digital reading. Good enough for me. Of course after that he starting asking me questions trying to get me to join their PT program to get more money out of me. We ended up talking for awhile about what I've learned on here, and he was telling me some things that were quite confusing. He told me that for the first 30 minutes of any cardio your body burns fat, and after that it goes to muscle. He said it didn't make any sense to be lifting lower rep/higher weight because that's for powerlifters. He said I should be on a program where I lift for higher reps and move through very quickly, pumping oxygen and muscles through my muscles and 'pumping them up', and that will increase muscle faster. I didn't agree with him at all, and told him what I had learned on here. He didn't seem to agree with me, but I wasn't educated enough on this information to totally debunk his myths. Anyway, I got a laugh out of it.

Bob
11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Congrat WildJames.. I'm glad you took our advice..
Yeah, those Gold trainers are just there to sell you services.. BS is a mile a minute..

Looking forward to seeing your progress..

Built
11-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Just thought I would update you all on my progress. I have begun the WBB1 lifting program, and I'm feeling just great. I've greatly increased my protein daily, now I just need to work on decreasing carbs and increasing fats. I'm completing day 3 today of fitday, and I am inputting every single thing I eat. Once I get a week's worth of results, I'll post them here for Built and others to analyze/critique. Thanks again for the great advice all, it's been so helpful to me.

Oh, and I went to Gold's today and asked a personal trainer to measure my bodyfat. All they have is a 2 handled machine you hold and it gives you a digital reading. Good enough for me. Of course after that he starting asking me questions trying to get me to join their PT program to get more money out of me. We ended up talking for awhile about what I've learned on here, and he was telling me some things that were quite confusing. He told me that for the first 30 minutes of any cardio your body burns fat, and after that it goes to muscle. He said it didn't make any sense to be lifting lower rep/higher weight because that's for powerlifters. He said I should be on a program where I lift for higher reps and move through very quickly, pumping oxygen and muscles through my muscles and 'pumping them up', and that will increase muscle faster. I didn't agree with him at all, and told him what I had learned on here. He didn't seem to agree with me, but I wasn't educated enough on this information to totally debunk his myths. Anyway, I got a laugh out of it.

<shakes head>

Dear God. What the hell do they TEACH these people.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Oh, and I went to Gold's today and asked a personal trainer to measure my bodyfat. All they have is a 2 handled machine you hold and it gives you a digital reading. Good enough for me. Of course after that he starting asking me questions trying to get me to join their PT program to get more money out of me. We ended up talking for awhile about what I've learned on here, and he was telling me some things that were quite confusing. He told me that for the first 30 minutes of any cardio your body burns fat, and after that it goes to muscle. He said it didn't make any sense to be lifting lower rep/higher weight because that's for powerlifters. He said I should be on a program where I lift for higher reps and move through very quickly, pumping oxygen and muscles through my muscles and 'pumping them up', and that will increase muscle faster. I didn't agree with him at all, and told him what I had learned on here. He didn't seem to agree with me, but I wasn't educated enough on this information to totally debunk his myths. Anyway, I got a laugh out of it.He should be fired. If I was the manager, I wouldn't allow my employees to tell customers such BS information regarding muscle hypertrophy.

WildJames
11-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Another sad note on that was how many people I saw in his appointment log book. It was almost full :scratch:

Oh and a side note Built. I showed my sister this site and it is slowly started changing the way she diets and exercises. She was amazed at what she thought she knew, and what is reality. Oh and she loves reading what you have to say, we would search for a topic, say 'women' in subject lines to get information for her, and she would be like, "Oh Built responded in that one, let's read it!" I laughed, so you have a huge fan! She is starting her fitday as well, and will be posting it on here soon.

Built
11-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Wild - you just TOTALLY made my day! That's awesome! Tell her to drop me a PM when she gets her log started.

WildJames
11-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Ok all, a week of fitday is complete! On a side note, I feel so much better energy wise and every which way, it's so great. I've also completed a week of the WBB1 lifting routine to the tee, not changing anything up at all. My legs are so sore still I haven't been able to do much cardio in the past few days (Built will love that). I also got my bodyfat tested. Here are the results of everything. Please critique, advise me on what to do better to lower my bodyfat big time!

Height: 6'3"
Current weight: 327 pounds
Current bodyfat: 34.1%

One week of fitday stats

grams cals %total
Total: 2268
Fat: 63 571 26%
Sat: 15 136 6%
Poly: 4 32 1%
Mono: 4 36 2%
Carbs: 217 774 35%
Fiber:24 0 0%
Protein:214 858 39%
Alcohol:0 0 0%

I have been hammering chicken every day, usually between 1.5 and 2 pounds a day. I love it. And remember when analyzing my fitday stats. These are not maintenance calories, this is basically my current attempt at a cutting diet. I am currently losing weight, so I know I am obviously somewhere below my maintenance level. How far below I am not sure. I am extremely full by the end of the day, since I'm eating such good foods most of the time I have a hard time eating more than that, although I obviously could if I had to. Thanks alot all, I look forward to your response. Oh and also you can visit my fitday link in my signature if you want to see what I've actually been eating in detail.

James

WildJames
11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Also here are the vitamins/supplements I am currently taking.

Fish oil capsules
Centrum chewable daily multivitamin (I'll get a better multi when I run out)
Vitamin B complex + vitamin C
Thermocin
Creatine 500
Green Tea extract

Levantar
11-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Personally, I'd ditch the cardio and lift heavy 4 days a week. Go for a nice walk in your off days.

You'll lose fat instead of muscle, and you'll KEEP it off!

Cardio only + low calories = temporary weight loss in the form of muscle and fat. Lousy way to go. Guaranteed to fail in the long run.

Welcome to the board. Read, and please stick around so we can help you reach and maintain your goal.

Why would you want to ditch cardio?

WildJames
11-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Can anyone take a look at my macros and fitday and let me know if I am going in the right direction to good fat/weight loss? Thanks

WBBIRL
11-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Possibly bump protein a wee bit, and drop 80 or so g of carbs and pick up another 80 g of fat. I don't know if your having hunger problems, but fat helps with that and fats aren't the horrible thing TV makes them out to be... some are actually *gasp* essential.

Believe what you read on here, its proven to work. If you can manage to cut the carbs out a lot then perhaps PSMF is for you? I havent fully read the diet, and you should only do it for short periods of time but its great at shedding fat and only fat and quickly at that. If you want the breakdown, I can PM you the basics unless you want to purchase the E-Book.

WildJames
12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Update time! I have been doing GREAT on my diet, hammering protein 200+ daily, taking my multi's, fish oil etc, and busting my ass in the gym 3 times a week and doing HIIT for 10 minutes after every lift. I have gone from 33% bodyfat to 29% bodyfat, or about 14 pounds. And I'm lifting hard and gaining muscle so I've lost even more than that! I am very proud of myself and will never quit until I reach my goals. I am starting to get the "Hey James are you losing weight?" questions, which makes me even more determined. Thanks alot of this site is the best.

James

LouPac
12-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Congrats James, keep up the good work.

PGreezy
12-05-2006, 11:08 PM
my name is james too!! haha its always nice to hear about a fellow James doing good. Keep up the good work man.

divided
12-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Great job man! Inspiring to see someone actaully put into action whats others say here :) Id suggest upping your calorie intake to about 2600 cals. Eating too little puts your body in a bit of a starvation mode, and slows your metabolism. Which in turns burns fewer calories, eat a bit more, If you cant stomach more, just use something like Muscle milk as a shake before bed, thats an extra 500 or so calories, and will help with your muscle retention while you sleep. Great job thus far, keep going!

WildJames
12-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Great job man! Inspiring to see someone actaully put into action whats others say here :) Id suggest upping your calorie intake to about 2600 cals. Eating too little puts your body in a bit of a starvation mode, and slows your metabolism. Which in turns burns fewer calories, eat a bit more, If you cant stomach more, just use something like Muscle milk as a shake before bed, thats an extra 500 or so calories, and will help with your muscle retention while you sleep. Great job thus far, keep going!

Thanks! I've been busting my butt day in and day out. It's been difficult at times, but I've only had I would say 3-4 cheat days. I've gone from 33% to 28% bodyfat now, doing the WBB1 lifting program and HIIT after each workout. It really feels good to have success after so many attempts in the past that failed.

WildJames
01-25-2007, 02:05 PM
I want to keep everyone updated on my progress, because I want everyone to know their advice DOES matter and I am not one of the many people who post about their problems and then never do anything about it after everyone gives such great advice. I have dropped from 340 to 310 pounds now since November 7th, and my body fat has dropped from near 34% to now 27%. I have packed on a lot of muscle mass, and can't go a day or two without someone mentioning how much better I am looking! I have also inspired some people I know without even having to tell them anything to get in the gym and start lifting. Once I hit 20%, which may be alot to some of you, I will be the happiest guy on the planet! I can't even imagine it. So thanks to everyone and god bless this website, it's changed my life.

James

crazedwombat
01-25-2007, 02:47 PM
hey man you should start a journal and put it in your sig, I'd definitely keep tabs on ya because it gives me motivation. I'm 6'3 245 and 23%BF and its good to see someone of the same style drop with me.

WildJames
01-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Quick question. Currently I am 313 pounds at 27% bodyfat. That means I have approximately 228 pounds of lean body mass. That's quite a lot isn't it? What do you think my target weight should be? I doubt I'll ever be below 275 pounds. I'm not even THAT strong...I wonder why I have so much LBM.

Organichu
01-28-2007, 11:11 PM
The likely answer is that you're higher than 27% bf.

I could be wrong, but I find it hard to fathom that one could incidentally have 228 lbs of lbm, and "not be that strong".

Mr. D
01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
If you maintain your LBM of 228, then at 15% bf you would be 268, at 20% bf u would be 285.

How many calories are you eating a day now?Do you feel your metabolism is stalling?If so take a week or 2 off and eat maintence calories to jumpstart that metabolism.

Also at your weight and bf, you might want to check out some of Lyle Mcdonalds work at www.bodyrecomposition.com.

One of his findings is that you can take 31 x the amount fat you have (84.5 lbs in your case) and subtract that number from your maintence cals.

In general, most peoples maintence cals is 14-16 x BW. If you feel you have slow metabolism, then 14 x BW = 4382 cals.

14 x BW = 4382 - (31x84.5) = 1763
15 x BW = 4695 - (31x84.5) = 2076

Just make sure you are getting in at least 228g of protein a day. It might be something you would want to look into. His books are very detailed and well worth the money.

WildJames
01-29-2007, 08:55 AM
The likely answer is that you're higher than 27% bf.

I could be wrong, but I find it hard to fathom that one could incidentally have 228 lbs of lbm, and "not be that strong".

You could be right. I am using this to currently measure my bodyfat %.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/om/body.html

It seems to be right for my sister and brother in law, and anyone else who thought they knew their bodyfat already. Basically I am just looking at it as long as it's going down, it's a good thing :thumbup:

WildJames
01-29-2007, 08:56 AM
If you maintain your LBM of 228, then at 15% bf you would be 268, at 20% bf u would be 285.

How many calories are you eating a day now?Do you feel your metabolism is stalling?If so take a week or 2 off and eat maintence calories to jumpstart that metabolism.

Also at your weight and bf, you might want to check out some of Lyle Mcdonalds work at www.bodyrecomposition.com.

One of his findings is that you can take 31 x the amount fat you have (84.5 lbs in your case) and subtract that number from your maintence cals.

In general, most peoples maintence cals is 14-16 x BW. If you feel you have slow metabolism, then 14 x BW = 4382 cals.

14 x BW = 4382 - (31x84.5) = 1763
15 x BW = 4695 - (31x84.5) = 2076

Just make sure you are getting in at least 228g of protein a day. It might be something you would want to look into. His books are very detailed and well worth the money.

Right now I eat around 2200 calories a day. I get about 200-220 grams of protein. My only trouble is sometimes getting the required amount of fat, but besides that I'm doing pretty well.

Joshua Davis
01-29-2007, 09:17 AM
James, I am very happy to hear that you are showing some success by bumping up the protein and committing to strength training in lieu of cardio hell.

I just recently lost a very large chunk of bodyweight, up to about 15% of my total weight, starting at 380lbs (about 55lbs lost). I did this in 6 weeks, give or take a week for Christmas bingeing. My project is a bit more extreme, but it is intended to be so, as it is for people that are obese, something even athletes can be at times. I never train "cardio". My heart and lungs get all they can get from being consistent in the gym and training for strongman. You know what? Not doing cardio has saved my knees from unneeded pain, spared my strength levels, and keeps me interested when I go to the gym by not burning up 40 minutes watching Maury Povitch while riding a bike to nowhere. I mean, if you like Maury Povitch or the Price is Right, by all means, cardio away! But if you are like the rest of the employed world, train with weights and work smarter, not harder.

I think you should absolutely, positively listen to anything that Built tells you. I have been reading her posts, and haven't found much to disagree with.

Good luck man. Stay with it and keep us in the know. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. If you want to know more about my program, it's in my log.

Joshua Davis
01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Right now I eat around 2200 calories a day. I get about 200-220 grams of protein. My only trouble is sometimes getting the required amount of fat, but besides that I'm doing pretty well.

Nuts man... go nuts! get some almonds or some other tree-nut (being anything but peanuts). Walnuts have the most Omega 3's IIRC, but I am more partial to almonds, I love them. 1oz (22-26 almonds dep. on size) have 170 calories and 15g of fat, plus they are crunchy and gooooood.

WildJames
01-29-2007, 09:42 AM
James, I am very happy to hear that you are showing some success by bumping up the protein and committing to strength training in lieu of cardio hell.

I just recently lost a very large chunk of bodyweight, up to about 15% of my total weight, starting at 380lbs (about 55lbs lost). I did this in 6 weeks, give or take a week for Christmas bingeing. My project is a bit more extreme, but it is intended to be so, as it is for people that are obese, something even athletes can be at times. I never train "cardio". My heart and lungs get all they can get from being consistent in the gym and training for strongman. You know what? Not doing cardio has saved my knees from unneeded pain, spared my strength levels, and keeps me interested when I go to the gym by not burning up 40 minutes watching Maury Povitch while riding a bike to nowhere. I mean, if you like Maury Povitch or the Price is Right, by all means, cardio away! But if you are like the rest of the employed world, train with weights and work smarter, not harder.

I think you should absolutely, positively listen to anything that Built tells you. I have been reading her posts, and haven't found much to disagree with.

Good luck man. Stay with it and keep us in the know. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. If you want to know more about my program, it's in my log.

Thanks so much for the post and advice! My mindset on diet and nutrition has so totally changed since I joined this site. I used to think long sessions of cardio combined with eating crap like Weight Watcher and Lean Cuisine frozen meals were the best way to lose weight. Boy was I wrong! The only cardio I currently do is a 5 minute elliptical warmup, and 10 minutes of HIIT after lifting. The only reason I do the HIIT is because I want to be in good cardiovascular shape for the summer when I play flag football or a pickup basketball game. Correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that just heavy lifting won't do that for me. Also I want to have those powerful bursts of conditioning for my girlfriend.... :redface:

And yes, Built is one of the founders of my new found life! Her advice to start out combined with my researching her hundreds of other useful posts have helped me greatly. Cheers to her!

Thanks again, and I'll certainly keeps tabs on your progress, and probably pm you here soon when I have a question.

James

WildJames
01-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Nuts man... go nuts! get some almonds or some other tree-nut (being anything but peanuts). Walnuts have the most Omega 3's IIRC, but I am more partial to almonds, I love them. 1oz (22-26 almonds dep. on size) have 170 calories and 15g of fat, plus they are crunchy and gooooood.

I definitely hear you on the nuts..my only problem is they seem to be VERY dense as far as calories go. I honestly don't track on fitday often anymore, but I eat the same thing every day just about and I have calorie and macro numbers programmed into my head of what I'm eating. My daily eating goes about as follows...

2 slices of whole wheat toast + natty pb
3-4 whole eggs scrambled

1 3 scoop Nitrean shake

1 cup of whole grain brown rice + 6 ounces of grilled chicken + small pat of butter

1 salad with 6 ounces grilled chicken plus a small amount of light vinegar + oil

1 3 scoop Nitrean shake

another 5-6 ounce chicken breast with a cup of brocolli

I take Multi Plus, ETS, Thermocin, fish oil caps, and Creatine 500.
Nitor should be here tomorrow..splitting it with my sister and brother in law who also lift with me and eat well.

Joshua Davis
01-29-2007, 11:05 AM
The short answer, James, is that 1gm of fat = 9 calories, whereas protein and carbs are 4 calories/gram. This is why nuts, and all fats in general, are going to be calorically dense.

I drop my carbs pretty hard when cutting, and by utilizing healthy fats my energy levels stay up. My current ratios are hovering around 55% protein, 35% fats, 10% carbs. This is mostly in the form of Nitrean, chicken/fish, nuts, flax/olive oil, and cottage cheese. Granted, I do eat about 2 ounces of nuts per day, two tablespoons of ground flax meal, and sometimes even a whole tablespoon of flax oil in my breakfast shake. That's how my 35% of 2200 daily cals gets populated.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-29-2007, 12:06 PM
I definitely hear you on the nuts..my only problem is they seem to be VERY dense as far as calories go. I honestly don't track on fitday often anymore, but I eat the same thing every day just about and I have calorie and macro numbers programmed into my head of what I'm eating. My daily eating goes about as follows...

2 slices of whole wheat toast + natty pb
3-4 whole eggs scrambled

1 3 scoop Nitrean shake

1 cup of whole grain brown rice + 6 ounces of grilled chicken + small pat of butter

1 salad with 6 ounces grilled chicken plus a small amount of light vinegar + oil

1 3 scoop Nitrean shake

another 5-6 ounce chicken breast with a cup of brocolli

I take Multi Plus, ETS, Thermocin, fish oil caps, and Creatine 500.
Nitor should be here tomorrow..splitting it with my sister and brother in law who also lift with me and eat well.You shouldn't be eating the same exact thing every single day. You need to have a little more variety in your diet.

Cirino83
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
You shuldn't be eating the same exact thing every single day. You need to have a little more variety in your diet.

Yes. Variety is key to staying faithful. Even occasionally throw in a cheat meal or 2. :eek:

Bob
01-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Awesome progress WildJames!!!
Just freakin' awesome...

Keep with it.. Lifting and HIIT.. you can't go wrong!!

WBBIRL
01-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Awesome progress big guy. You should feel 100 times better already, and even more once the journeys over.

Built
01-29-2007, 12:31 PM
:) ..