PDA

View Full Version : Snatch, clean & jerk on a platform for the first time

erik-the-red
11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
My university gym opened yesterday, and I was able to get a chance to use it this morning. They added a lot of machines, but the only thing I was interested in was the Olympic platform. They had some chalk, a set of colored Eleiko discs, and a bar. I'm pretty sure everything was refurbished from the football team, but who cares? It's new to me.

The lightest disc was a 5kg disc that had the same diameter as the others. I wasn't sure if I could snatch 20 + 5 + 5 = 30 kg at first, so I had major confidence issues. I just wasn't dropping under the bar fast enough on my first try. On the second one, I actually managed to power snatch it. Then, I knew that I could squat snatch it, and I made it on the third try.

Previously, the best snatch I did in practice was 25 kg, so I was quite happy.

The interesting part was after I finished my second try, half the gym looked at me, all with the expression, "What is he doing?"

It was great to finally do lifts on a platform.

Guido
11-07-2006, 08:45 AM
I wish MY regular gym had an Olympic weight set... I just make do with regular bar and plates on the DL platform.

betastas
11-07-2006, 08:50 AM
That's great that your gym had a platform installed. Ours has had a platform for a while, but the problem is that it is next to the dumbbells and curl jockey benches. We have people using the powerlifting/olympic platform for bicep curls, shoulder laterals and all sorts of stupid things.

Anthony
11-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I wish MY regular gym had an Olympic weight set... I just make do with regular bar and plates on the DL platform.

Be happy you have a dl platform ... we have to squeeze a bar between the squat rack and hack squat machine. And the mats aren't even either, LOL. :(

Guido
11-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Be happy you have a dl platform ... we have to squeeze a bar between the squat rack and hack squat machine. And the mats aren't even either, LOL. :(I am. Our PL team had to buy it, though. At least my gym lets us keep it there.

Shifty
11-07-2006, 10:27 AM
I wish I had some eleiko's *drool*. Lifted on them at a gym in london once, mile apart from my bar that cost £60.

Work on it with the lighter weight until you feel confident. Something unerving about sitting beneath a lot of weight. It will be worth getting some coaching if there are any coaches near you, a few hours with a coach will be invaluable, so much of the oly lifts are about technique.

Max Thunder
11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Be happy you have a dl platform ... we have to squeeze a bar between the squat rack and hack squat machine. And the mats aren't even either, LOL. :(

Haha at my gym it's the exact same thing, I spend a good deal of my time between the squat rack and hack squat machine doing deadlift, military press, push presses and the like because that's the only place where I can do that.

Guido
11-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I've been to other gyms where I've had to do that, and it definitely makes me long for my regular gym!

Ibanez
11-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Are you a newb to weightlifting?

betastas
11-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, Guido has only been training a few weeks.