PDA

View Full Version : Too much fibre?

ianewilson
11-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I am getting somewhere between 40 and 50 grams of fibre a day. Do you think that this is too much?

pepsihatman
11-07-2006, 01:57 PM
The recommended value is around 38 grams a day for males, and 25g for females.

ShockBoxer
11-07-2006, 02:14 PM
You're one of severe minority that actually gets enough.

ianewilson
11-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Lots of beans, veggies, and these weird organic wafer things

Holto
11-07-2006, 03:20 PM
In all my travels I have never heard of too much fiber.

In some areas of Africa people get 100 grams per day. In these areas colon cancer is non-existant.

pepsihatman
11-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Excess fiber can lead to dehydration because fiber carries water out of the body. And in extreme cases nutrient deficiencies are possible iirc (something about preventing proper absorption). But you have to go over a good deal. Most people are fine with slightly higher fiber.

Edit: Quotes from nutrition textbook "Iron is mainly absorbed early during digestion, thus, because fiber speeds the movement of foods through the digestive system, it may limit the opportunity for the absorption of iron and other nutrients."

pumpingiron
11-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Never such thing as too much fiber! :P And I haven't heard of fiber acting as a diuretic... In any case, most people who lift are drinking at least a gallon of water a day, so dehydration isn't really an issue.

pepsihatman
11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Never such thing as too much fiber! :P And I haven't heard of fiber acting as a diuretic... In any case, most people who lift are drinking at least a gallon of water a day, so dehydration isn't really an issue.

My professor (RD) has treated some patients with excess fiber problems. We talked about this subject in class not too long ago. She says it's very rare and it takes a lot of fiber.