PDA

View Full Version : box squats to teach myself to squat properly?

PoutineEh
11-07-2006, 03:51 PM
recently read an article on wbb that said you should use your hamstrings when you are squatting. i have never really felt this while squattig, and heard box squatting is a good way to learn proper form for squatting. is it a good idea for me to do box squats so i can learn better form? is it just as easy as sitting back in a chair, pausing slightly, and then going back up? i havent tried it yet, but i read you are supposed to release your hip flexors. is this easier in practice than how it seems on paper, because im not sure i will know how to relax only my hip flexors and not other muscle groups such as my quads.

thanks for the help

erik-the-red
11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
I recommend them. I think that they can help you out on form, and I also think that they definitely teach you the proper depth.

MixmasterNash
11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes, a box is very useful for learning proper form, but it doesn't teach you. Find a good coach or study a lot of material.

PoutineEh
11-07-2006, 06:05 PM
i try to read a decent amount on the subject. i dont really know who to go to at my school about getting coached. everyone i do see performing squats stop halfway to parallel, so i am guessing they arent the person to go to for help if i want to be doing full squats...