PDA

View Full Version : Low Calorie Sweet Potato Chips

ianewilson
11-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Here is a recipe that I found. I tried it last night and for someone who has a sever weakness for potato chips, these were great.

I used sweet potatoe but you could use a regular potato if you like that idea better.

1. Wash and cut potato into thin chips, the thinner the better (I used one of those vegetable slicer contraptions but a regular knife would work too)
2. Place the chips onto a microwave safe plate (I used the base plate in the icrowave) and lightly spray them with a calorie free cooking spray (both sides)
3. Top them with a little salt and microwave them on high for about 4 minutes
4. Flip them over, add a little more salt to the other side, and microwave for another 2 minutes
5. Continue flipping and microwaving until the chips start to brown slightly
6. Remove them and let them cool and do the next batch (I had 3 batches from a medium sweet potato)
7. Eat them right away or throw some in a ziploc bag for later

Let me know if you try these and what you think of them.

Mik
11-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Do they come out soggy? Sound good if not.

ianewilson
11-08-2006, 07:56 AM
No, they're not soggy at all. The first batch that I tried didn't crisp quite like I wanted but then I figured out that you have to keep microwaving them until the brown just a little and then they're really crispy.

I thought they were delicious and they will be a substitute for the potato chips I usually eat.

russianwol
11-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Can we bake them instead of nuking them?

ianewilson
11-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Sure you can bake them. I just used the microwave because it was eaiser for me to control the cooking time for my first batch.

Next time I think I'll try them in the oven at a fairly low temperature. We'll see how they work and hopefully they won't burn.

Let me know if you try them in the oven and how they turn out. I think I might try some more tonight.

ianewilson
11-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Tried them in the oven last night and they just burned. I think it is more about dehydration than actual cooking so I'm going to give it a go in a food dehydrator. It just takes way too long too long to do three potatoes in the microwave.