PDA

View Full Version : Quioa !!!

YatesNightBlade
03-16-2001, 04:06 AM
Don't think I've spelt it right .... it's sounds like this ..... "keewa". It's suppose to have more/better quality protein in it then meat.

Anyone heard of this ??? I think it's African ??

Shaggy
03-16-2001, 05:55 AM
Is this it?

"Quinoa

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) was first cultivated in about 3,000 B.C. in the South American high plains of the Andes. In the language of the Quechea Indians of this region, the word quioa means "mother." Because of the grains life supporting role within that culture, quinoa got its name: the "mother grain."
Today quinoa thrives in the Colorado mountains and other mountainous regions of the West United States, and it is becoming popular fare from coast to coast. Quinoa must be hand picked, and its tiny round seeds harvested with care, so it is not an inexpensive grain; however it expands up to four times its dry volume, so a little goes a long way. Quinoa grain is a nutritional powerhouse packed with high- quality protein and an excellent balance of body-building amino acids. IT is easily digested and contains vitamin C as well as B vitamin complex of thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin, and vitamin E.
Quinoa is fast cooking and simple to prepare. Its light, fluffy texture and nutty flavor make quinoa adaptable and versatile, serving well in dishes from soup to deserts. Try it as a rice substitute with stir fried vegetables or as a nutritious breakfast cereal combined with fruit, nuts and honey. "

YatesNightBlade
03-16-2001, 06:20 AM
Thats the one ........ Anybody tried it ?????

Shaggy
03-16-2001, 07:19 AM
Hmmm not likely bro!

I don't think Tesco's stock the stuff!?

Savannah
03-16-2001, 08:00 AM
I tried it once and once only because i found the texture was way too mushy and the taste was nasty.

The term nasty pasty comes to mind to describe it.