PDA

View Full Version : best Protein to $ ratio?

kique
11-08-2006, 01:23 PM
shoot some ideas for us broke people best bang for buck protein wise at the markets.

ShockBoxer
11-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Whey powder. Without it I'd get less than a hundred gram of protein a day.

Tuna as well, though I can't stand having it every day.

Chicken anywhere but eastern canada apparantly, where it costs a lot more per gram than beef.

RedSpikeyThing
11-08-2006, 04:04 PM
shoot some ideas for us broke people best bang for buck protein wise at the markets.

Tuna.

SpecialK
11-08-2006, 06:36 PM
ON 100% whey or www.allthewhey.com is the absolute cheapest in terms of g/$. Tuna is a close second. I predict this thread will soon degenerate into a debate over why you aren't willing to pay more for Nitrean ;)

kique
11-08-2006, 07:07 PM
well for one i was talking about real food not supplements, and second tuna has levels of mercury that are unsafe for human beings if eaten more than twice a week or so, so all of your posts are irrelivant. more replies please.

Unreal
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Chicken. Beef. Whatever meat is on sale. Buy alot in bulk. I got tons of boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.79/lb last week.

Slim Schaedle
11-08-2006, 07:24 PM
, so all of your posts are irrelivant. more replies please.
Actually, if you do more research on the mercury thing, you would find your post irrevelant.

kique
11-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Actually, if you do more research on the mercury thing, you would find your post irrevelant.
http://www.pbs.org/now/science/mercuryinfish.html

heres one of a million.

ShockBoxer
11-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, you're shooting down the bodybuilding cheap-o staples. That really only leaves the cheapest of the expensive meats like chicken and beef. There's dairy as well but I don't find it has much protein per dollar.

bigmoney
11-08-2006, 09:20 PM
10 lb bag of ON's whey for $49 at www.1fast400.com

and of course weekly sales of chicken/beef at the grocery

Slim Schaedle
11-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Didn't we already see this thread?

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=79420

PGreezy
11-08-2006, 10:16 PM
man buy the protein from sams or another one of those stores that buy things in bulk. 5lbs for 12 bucks, 28g per scoop, 78 scoops. Gotta have a membership though or know someone who does.

Murmur
11-09-2006, 04:37 AM
I buy my ON at the mall for 16 bucks at 32 servings of 24g.

768g total, or about 2 cents per gram.

I would put tuna at 2nd.

RedSpikeyThing
11-09-2006, 08:15 AM
http://www.pbs.org/now/science/mercuryinfish.html

heres one of a million.

Maybe you should read your articles before you post them.

in 2000, FDA draft advisories presented to focus groups warned women not to eat a lot of canned tuna during pregnancy because it contains levels of mercury that can harm developing fetuses and nursing babies.

Are you pregnant?

BY EATING 6 OUNCES OF CHUNK WHITE TUNA A WEEK, THE [45 lb] CHILD IS INGESTING ALMOST FOUR TIMES EPA'S RECOMMENDED DOSE.

Are you a 45 lb child?

I'm also pretty sure that some of the greatest bodybuilders at more than a can per day and they didn't get mercury poisoning.

Now as for protein sources: peanuts. They're cheap and full of protein.

kique
11-09-2006, 10:37 AM
my last thread was about calories per protein ratio this one is about protein per dolalr ratio, and its not all about mercury poisoning its about health isues which matter more in the long run. i want one of you to tell me u eat 3 cans of a tuna a day go.... pfft

ShockBoxer
11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Just curious, but why are you against supplementing with whey? It's basically just concentrated dairy protein without all the stomach wrecking lactose sugar.

Slim Schaedle
11-09-2006, 11:47 AM
my last thread was about calories per protein ratio this one is about protein per dolalr ratio, and its not all about mercury poisoning its about health isues which matter more in the long run. i want one of you to tell me u eat 3 cans of a tuna a day go.... pfft
I have eaten in excess of 3 cans for about 10 years

What do you want to know?

kique
11-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I have eaten in excess of 3 cans for about 10 years

What do you want to know?
methyl mercury accumulates in fish and passes into the food chain. The deleterious effects of mercury consumed by animals that eat fish include reproductive failure, damage to intestines, stomach disruption, DNA alteration, and kidney damage.

i hope one day when your about 45+ish still trying to live life, something of this sort happens to you for being so cocky

KarlEdmunds
11-09-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't post often here but kiques post really bothered me. Why would you hope someone becomes seriously ill? that is the stupidest post I have read all week.

Karl

Slim Schaedle
11-09-2006, 04:46 PM
i hope one day when your about 45+ish still trying to live life, something of this sort happens to you for being so cocky
I find that pretty disturbing.

On the other hand, I am a pretty non-cocky guy. You just don't know me.

Not to mention the "tone" on the internet can be interpreted many ways.

Stumprrp
11-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Just curious, but why are you against supplementing with whey? It's basically just concentrated dairy protein without all the stomach wrecking lactose sugar.

stomach wrecking lactose sugar? i guess my stomach is rotted to hell, this is for people who cant handle it dude, lol.

milk over here is 2.49 a gallon, milk is your friend.

also chicken breast, and tuna.

RedSpikeyThing
11-09-2006, 08:16 PM
methyl mercury accumulates in fish and passes into the food chain. The deleterious effects of mercury consumed by animals that eat fish include reproductive failure, damage to intestines, stomach disruption, DNA alteration, and kidney damage.

The least you could do is reference your sources.

You didn't even change the capitalization at the beginning of "your" sentence. **** people make me angry.

Mods: ban?

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, what he said is directly from wikipedia.

ShockBoxer
11-09-2006, 09:29 PM
stomach wrecking lactose sugar? i guess my stomach is rotted to hell, this is for people who cant handle it dude, lol.

milk over here is 2.49 a gallon, milk is your friend.

also chicken breast, and tuna.

Milk here is about that for a half gallon. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are 16 dollars for 2.2 pounds. Damn local supermarkets... costco is way, way, way too far away to bus to for groceries.

Stumprrp
11-09-2006, 09:29 PM
wow man! that sucks, bonless tenderloins are like 1.49 a lb lol

ShockBoxer
11-09-2006, 09:31 PM
I can get chicken burgers cut with soy filler for 8 bucks a kilo so that's mostly what I eat.

Holto
11-09-2006, 09:35 PM
LOL @ the premise of Slim being cocky

betastas
11-10-2006, 06:41 AM
Kique, whey is best, then tuna. So you don't like tuna, fine. I like how you ask for help then get angry at people who disagree.

wrestlemaniac
11-13-2006, 12:32 AM

I guess thats what he gets for helping you eh

Levantar
11-13-2006, 02:12 AM
I don't post often here but kiques post really bothered me. Why would you hope someone becomes seriously ill? that is the stupidest post I have read all week.

Karl

I'm not sure, is "stupidest" a word?