PDA

View Full Version : Make my oatmeal taste better!

RedSpikeyThing
11-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Yes I did a search on oatmeal recipes. And no I didn't find what I want.

I've been eating oatmeal with some combination of cinnamin and ginger quite a bit recently and I'm starting to get bored. I would like to season it with something other than protein powder or PB. I find both really gross:(

I've only got a couple ideas if new things to try: nutmeg and apple sauce. I've tried pineapple, which is actually really good.

Any other ideas?

Bohizzle
11-09-2006, 08:49 AM
what i do: i buy those oatmeal packs (flavoured ones from quaker), i use two of those, a cup of oatmeal, 2-3 scoops of protein (preferably at laeast one chocolate), and around a cup of milk. tastes like small drips of heaven!

Andrew

russianwol
11-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Drop raisins in and use fat free milk.

Oatmeal tastes like crap with water.

Chaos229
11-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I take I can't beleive it's not butter the spray(0 everything in it) pour some into a small cup, take some splenda and pour it in, then take some cinnamin and sprinkle it into the mix. Then I stir it up and pour it on top of the oatmeal and :bow: I actually crave oatmeal now.

getfit
11-12-2006, 04:20 AM
I add a banana,flax seeds,whey.

RedSpikeyThing
11-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Some good ideas here....might have to buy some raisins.
getfit, do you mash the banana up? or just chop it?

Unreal
11-12-2006, 05:00 PM
I take I can't beleive it's not butter the spray(0 everything in it) pour some into a small cup, take some splenda and pour it in, then take some cinnamin and sprinkle it into the mix. Then I stir it up and pour it on top of the oatmeal and :bow: I actually crave oatmeal now.

It is only zero because of the serving size. This is going to add alot of nasty junk that you shouldn't be eating to your oats.

I use nitean and splenda. Taste great.

teaturtle
11-12-2006, 06:06 PM
nitrean or whey makes it too sweet for me , bleh. i havent had oatmeal in a while.. id have to eat a lot of it to get enough cals out of it

getfit
11-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Some good ideas here....might have to buy some raisins.
getfit, do you mash the banana up? or just chop it?
i chop it, sometimes add diced apple as well

piff
11-12-2006, 10:19 PM
It is only zero because of the serving size. This is going to add alot of nasty junk that you shouldn't be eating to your oats.

I use nitean and splenda. Taste great.

Do you use milk or water? And do you cook them or eat it raw?

The only oatmeal I've ever had has been the flavored instant stuff so I don't really know where to start with the big tub of oats I bought:scratch:

Bohizzle
11-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Do you use milk or water? And do you cook them or eat it raw?

The only oatmeal I've ever had has been the flavored instant stuff so I don't really know where to start with the big tub of oats I bought:scratch:
check my post, it tastes good, and u don't have to get rid of ur tasty oats completely

Andrew

Mercuryblade
11-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Oatmeal tastes like crap with water.

This is definately true.

Plain oatmeal in 2% milk,brown sugar,cinnamon, and raisins is amazing.

Unreal
11-13-2006, 07:43 AM
1 cup dry oatmeal, cover in water, microwave for 2-2:30 minutes. Add alittle more water to get consistency you want, mix in 1-2 scoops of strawberry nitrean, and enjoy one great treat. You can even mix in a banana for a strawberry banana treat, or some peanut butter. I also like mixing in salted roasted mixed nuts.

Packaged stuff is loaded with sugar, and I don't see the point of eating oats if your just going to load it with sugar.

Mercuryblade
11-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Packaged stuff is loaded with sugar, and I don't see the point of eating oats if your just going to load it with sugar.

If you're eating it in the morning, your body is very insulin resistant, so you can afford to eat that much sugar.

Stumprrp
11-13-2006, 06:43 PM
you can always buy quaker weight control, taste good and only 3g sugar i think, 7 grams protien per package

FREAKZILLA
11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I will usually dice up one medium apple and spinkle in some cinnimon. I also live by Divinci Flavored Sugar Free Syrups. I currently have toasted marshmellow, banana, and white chocolate.

RedSpikeyThing
11-15-2006, 06:31 PM
I made oatmeal with a banana, cinnamin and milk this morning. IT WAS SO GOOD!!! Tasted like banana bread :D

imageD
11-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I eat mine plain with water. very satisfying for me.

Next best thing would be to add splenda to it.

bigmoney
11-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Milk, Cinnamon, Peanut Butter, Blueberries/banana, and SF syrup. I look forward to it for breakfast every night before bed:thumbup:

11-15-2006, 10:13 PM
i like to add bananas or strawberries

also i LOVE to add canned pumpkin about two tbs and some cinnamon, ground cloves , ginger and nutmeg tastes like pumpkin pie mmm mmm good!!!!

hottytoddychick
01-10-2007, 08:21 AM
This is an old thread, but I thought some things in this link might be useful.

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_quakerKitchen/toppers/index.cfm

muscle chic
01-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I've eaten it a few ways..

chocolate whey with oats and egg whites as a pancake with sf syrup

oats with splenda

oats with eggwhites as pancake topped with lite coolwhip

also "Builts" oat waffle recipe ( date, cottage cheese, oats, whites)

phlebos
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
i put walnuts into mine.

if you dont like PB you can try other nut butters. I <3 almond butter.

Ritzol
02-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I mix in some splenda and some sf jell-o... then microwave it.

Keith
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I made oatmeal with a banana, cinnamin and milk this morning. IT WAS SO GOOD!!! Tasted like banana bread :D

Just about to say that. Cinnamon or brown sugar, both are awesome especially with chopped bananas and with milk, cant stand it with water.

Optimum08
02-06-2007, 02:15 PM
when i add splenda to my oatmeal (i don't actually cook it since im a college student that lives on campus) it tends to get pretty liquidy...is this normal? seems like the oatmeal they serve is the legitimate type and not just the instant stuff.

phatmike
02-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I like mine with blueberries and some splenda

Optimum08
02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
when i add splenda to my oatmeal (i don't actually cook it since im a college student that lives on campus) it tends to get pretty liquidy...is this normal? seems like the oatmeal they serve is the legitimate type and not just the instant stuff.

anyone? and they make the oats with water, and it is not very appetizing at all. let me tell you.

whiteman90909
02-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Any fruit is good IMHO. Especially blueberries....mmmmmm....

Stumprrp
02-15-2007, 08:17 PM
when im not just having quaker weight control (low sugar) ill just put in brown sugar, blueberries, and granola.

offhegoes03
02-15-2007, 08:46 PM
brown sugar + some chocolate whey + oatmeal.. tastes delicious

Jinkies
02-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I eat oatmeal is some form or another everyday for a meal and ive never mixed it with anything but water and maybe some butter occasionally thrown in.

Quaker cinnamin and spice is delicious

FireRescue
02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I eat oatmeal is some form or another everyday for a meal and ive never mixed it with anything but water and maybe some butter occasionally thrown in.

Quaker cinnamin and spice is delicious

I think the OP was talking about plain rolled oats.

Stumprrp
02-28-2007, 01:03 PM
ive been using this one recently

2 packets quaker instant (plain)
1/2 cup quaker honey oat granola
2 packets splenda
cinnamon

tastes UNREAL i crave it every morning lol, the granola is a little high in sugar but its all good.

pbaddict
02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Here's a recipe that I got from Recipezaar:

1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup oat bran
1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup coarsely grated apples
1/2 cup coarsely grated pears
1/3 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1. Stir together oatmeal, oat bran, and yogurt; cover and refrigerate mixture for thirty minutes.
2. Add apple, pear, almonds, raisins, honey, and spices to oatmeal mixture; mix well and serve.

I only use half of amount shown and don't add nuts, pears, honey, or nutmeg. I also use greek yogurt and put raspberries and sometimes dried cranberries, but I pretty much each this every single day. It's so damn good.

BFGUITAR
02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
ive been using this one recently

2 packets quaker instant (plain)
1/2 cup quaker honey oat granola
2 packets splenda
cinnamon

tastes UNREAL i crave it every morning lol, the granola is a little high in sugar but its all good.

Do you really need that much splenda with all that sugar in that granola? :p

Stumprrp
02-28-2007, 05:24 PM
pbaddict - that sounds SOOO AMAZING

BFGUITAR - haha only 12 grams i think nothing major