PDA

View Full Version : My personalized Westside

RedSpikeyThing
11-09-2006, 09:48 PM
As I've posted before, Westside was wearing me down. As a result of that and a brutal hockey game, I've decided to take the week off. I'm feeling better - no aches and pains, lots of energy, etc. I've also decided to change up my routine. I originally planned on maxing bench and either deadlift or dquat every week. That worked for a month. So, I'm back to the drawing board. I like the principles found in Westside for Skinny bastards. They like to do some high rep work for DE days, rather than light(er) doubles and triples, and it also uses unilateral movements. I feel I need to get back to the basics and start to build a solid foundation. That being said, here' my routine.

Notice I say "cycle" instead of "Week". I can't handle 4 workouts per week, but I like 2 upper and 2 lower. I'll be doing 3 or 4 workouts/week, depending on energy.

The first exercise listed is the heavy (1 or 2 RM) exercise on ME days.

Let me know what you think.

(I just realised the formatting sucks, so the attached file is the workout in Excel)

Cycle 1
ME Upper Flat Bench push press Chinups Hypers

ME Lower Deadlift Single leg squats Weighted Crunches

DE Upper Unilateral DB Bench Rope pushdown DB Row Hypers

DE Lower Box Squats Good Mornings Leg Raises

Cycle 2
ME Upper Incline Bench skull crushers BO Rows Back Hypers

ME Lower Good Mornings Deep squat Cable crunches

DE Upper Barbell bench for reps Seated shoulder press T-bar rows Back Hypers

DE Lower Deadlift from platform Front Squat Leg Raises

Cycle 3
ME Upper DB Bench Wide grip bench Cable Row

ME Lower Rack pull Zercher Squat Weighted Crunches

DE Upper Dips for reps Wide grip bench Cable rows Back hypers

DE Lower Step-ups SLDLs Leg Raises

Cycle 4
ME Upper Decline Bench Military Press Shrugs Back Hypers

ME Lower Hack Squat Good Mornings Cable Crunches

DE Upper Rack Press Cable Pushdowns BO Rows Back Hypers

DE Lower Pull thrus Front Squat Leg Raises

Natetaco
11-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Only thing that really stands out is your bench. I think your over emphasizing on the chest. More tricep work is needed in my opinion. Close grip bench is definatly one of the best, drop the cable press downs. Lat work looks good, shoulders looks good, maybe drop push press for close grip bench.

Lower looks good though

RedSpikeyThing
11-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm emphasizing the chest for two reasons: My weak spot is right on my chest and I don't use a shirt. Should I be working my tris like I used a shirt?
I might swap military for close grip - I like push press more than military because it is a whole body movement and makes me feel more comfortable with a lot of weight over my head.

Any other suggestions?

RedSpikeyThing
11-11-2006, 09:28 PM
No other suggestions?