PDA

View Full Version : Advice on losing weight and keeping it off.

mase
11-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Hi, my name is John and I am 19 years old. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 300lbs.
I have struggled with my weight many years now, and I am ready to start losing. I have tried other diets in the past..weight watchers, atkins, etc, but have never been able to stick to just one.

I have recently started to use fitday to keep track of my calories.
According to fitday I burn around 3900 calories a day, so I have started eating between 2000 to 2500 a day. I used to eat about 3500 to 4500 cals a day.

Is there anything else I can do to be more efficient? I have a weight bench that I hardly ever use, but I would like to start lifting regularly if it can help me lose weight. My number one goal is to get my weight down and then concentrate on lifting, but should I start now? Also I am fixing to start doing cardio everyday. What would be the best way to go about lifting and doing cardio...how many times a weak, what exercises, how many reps, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Fitday seems to work great because he keeps me focused on my goals since I enter everything I eat.
Hopefully I will become a regular member of the forums. Thanks in advance.

RedSpikeyThing
11-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the board

First off, do NOT use fitday's calorie burning calculator. It is not accurate. It is designed to fit the population average, not you. In a nut shell, you need to eat less to lose weight. Cardio is NOT the way to go. It is good for your heart, which isn't a bad thing, but is not the best way to lose weight. Cardio is also good because it can allow you to eat a little more.
If you do choose to do cardio, I would recommend HIIT because it is more efficient at burning fat, rather than muscle. Google it for more info.

Weight training ensures that the weight you lose is in fact fat, not muscle. It is always a good idea to lift weights - have a look at these (http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4) routines. I would start with #1.

The key to keeping weight off is to make lifestyle changes. Most commercial diets are crash diets in one form or another. Doing it properly involves losing 1-2 lbs/week (probably more if your starting at 300), but it also involves dedication. Stay focused, keep records of your progress and enjoy it!

Good luck and keep us updated!

mase
11-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Can all those workouts on number 1 be done with a regular weight bench?
I don't have a close by gym, it would be way out of the way.

WildJames
11-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Refer to the 2 threads on either the first or second page of this section named 'Overweight guy seeks advice' and 'help 2 fat bastards lose some weight', they're basically the same as yours and the responses mirror what you need to do. They really helped me.

BakedWafer
11-10-2006, 05:01 PM
To be honest, at your weight, there is no dieting. You need a lifestyle change, you need to change the way you eat, what you eat, when you eat it & how. You need to exercise more and pay more attention to your general health and well-being. Don't look at it as a diet to help you lose weight, visualize it as an active change in your life, an attempt to better yourself.

:indian:

mase
11-11-2006, 02:06 AM
I don't have a close by gym, it would be way out of the way..

WildJames
11-11-2006, 09:57 PM

Maybe invest in one of those adjustable set of dumbbells. I guess you could do most of your chest workouts then. Dips you could somehow rig up I'm sure. You could also do squats and military presses I guess for legs and shoulders. You could curl the bar for biceps, and skullcrush it for triceps. Problem is you would be very limited, and it's always a nice thing to cycle your lifts after awhile, so your body doesn't become too used to a routine. Highly recommended to get into a gym, but if you can't that's the best you'll be able to do. Better than nothing that's for sure.

RedSpikeyThing
11-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I don't have a close by gym, it would be way out of the way.

How much money can you spend? You could buy like 400 lbs in weight and a bench. If you had a lot to spend, you could even buy a squat rack.

betastas
11-12-2006, 09:43 AM
You'll get out what you put into it. I walk for about 30 minutes there and back all through the winter, even when it's a blizzard out (uphill both ways too!).
The gym before that I had to drive for 20 minutes extra after work just to get there, but I did it anyways.

If you really want to succeed, plan for it and do it.

Razoul
11-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Refer to the 2 threads on either the first or second page of this section named 'Overweight guy seeks advice' and 'help 2 fat bastards lose some weight', they're basically the same as yours and the responses mirror what you need to do. They really helped me.

help 2 fat bastards lose some weight Is the thread I started a little over a month back I guess. It helped me out a ton. I average about 4 pounds a week since I started and I barely feel like im on a diet because I still eat alot but its just healthy food now. You dont have to starve yourself to lose weight. Welcome to the site and im sure you will get lots of help and encouragement. I know I have and Im a fat bastard :thumbup: