PDA

View Full Version : Adding more to the Diet.. Just got a JUICER..

viperc8
11-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey Im sure everyone remmebers me.. Ive been on here on a few times pestering Built about nutrition. She had told me that drinking V8 splash or vegatable juice just isnt as good as eating the real vegatbles and fruits. I enjoyed juices because it was just more convenient and provided me with some nutrition , but Now I decided to get a juicer where i can make it into juice without all the fructose and what nots Built told me that was in regular juices. I was jus wondering anyone have an good recipes for juices from the juicer , for mass and well being. I dont care much for the taste so I was jus about to add a little bit of everything such as apple oranges broccoli spinach some lettuce . Then after it all juiced i would take the skin remnants and mix that bak in and just drink it all down. Maybe twice a day??? Any suggestions??

viperc8
11-11-2006, 05:58 AM
Anyone???

jdeity
11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
there's fructose added to v8? v8 splash, sure, but as far as i knew regular, low sodium v8 was pretty top notch stuff. could use better variety, but otherwise i don't think the differences are that great between that and juiced. dunno.

Anyways, to your question. I could give you recipes, but it's kind of pointless, as it's just what works for me with my diet, goals, etc. Ah what the hell, here's my shake that i have every morning, usually 30-45 ounces worth, giving maybe 800-1000 calories roughly (damn i'm lazy at counting calories since fitday does everythign for me)

ice cubes
frozen fruit (mixed berries)
flax oil, lots
milk, a ton (maybe 25 ounces)
yogurt sometimes
olive oil sometimes (cream sometimes too)
weightgainer scoop (small one)
protein blend (soy/whey)

Other things that i use but am not currently using are vegetable juice (store brand low sodium v8), vegetables, bananas, creatine, juice, peanut butter, etc. I essentially just go through my fridge/kitchen looking for things based on my calorie needs / goals.

viperc8
11-12-2006, 03:59 AM
anyone else?? built i need you to say something here.. pleeaasseee...

viperc8
11-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Built??? c mon now..

Holto
11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Fruit has fructose. If you are juicing fruit then you are consuming fructose. If this isn't a huge component of your daily calories I don't see it as a problem.

I was jus wondering anyone have an good recipes for juices from the juicer , for mass and well being.

This is definitely not something that is going to help you pack on mass but for well being this is a great idea.

I think the best aspect of doing this is the variety of vegetables that you can include. Vegetables improve your health more than any other food.

For fruits try to use a variety of distinct colors.

Then after it all juiced i would take the skin remnants and mix that bak in and just drink it all down. Maybe twice a day??? Any suggestions??

Once a day is ideal IMO, especially good in the morning. If you can find a way to mix the remnants back in you sir are a champ. I would try to blend it or put it in a coffee grinder.

Altephor
11-15-2006, 11:20 AM
mm wish I could do that jdeity.. shake looks good but I think it would do mass murder on my small intestine.

jdeity
11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I sip it slowly over an hour usually, but yeah if i chug it, it hurts... I put it in a nalgene and sip for a while. Then an hour after done i have my first meal.

Why even juice if you're gonna mix the skin/remnants back in, seems like you're just trying to blend, but are doing an extra step because you have a jiucer not a blender.

Holto, i know fruit has fructose, I meant I did not believe v8 had added anything. Sorry bout being confusing.

Holto
11-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Holto, i know fruit has fructose, I meant I did not believe v8 had added anything. Sorry bout being confusing.

It wasn't directed at you. I thought the op might be hoping he's dodging fructose my juicing it himself.

jdeity
11-17-2006, 03:55 PM
ah

viperc8
11-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok I like the responses but wanna go more in detail now.. Im lifting pretty hard and putting on size and muscle by eating basically 5-6 meals throughout the day that are packed with carbs and protein and some fats.. i take multis but I really cant get around to eat too many fresh fruits and vegatables.. I just wanted to drink V8 vegatable and fruit juice to make up for not eating as much fruits and vegatables but Built had told me that was a bad idea and i should eat fresh since regular juices have alot of fructose which can actually hurt muscle growth... Sooooo I decided to get a juicer/blender... Where I can conveniently make a super vegetable fruit drink and store them and drink them throughout the week.. I would include all types of vegatables and fruits... taste doesnt bother me.. I just want the best to get inside the body for absolute health and mass.. So can anyone just make up something that would be good.. such as apple, oranges , tomatoes , celery, lettuce , carrots, and any other vegatables or fruits.. What would do me right???

jdeity
11-19-2006, 04:42 PM
not sure about yoru recipe, but i don't think the quality/freshness of your fruit / veggie smoothies is going to do much for mass, although i can see it helping health if you're talking night v. day comparisons here.

Holto
11-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Try to drink it immediately after juicing.

Try to get a wide variety of foods in there.

zen
11-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I bought a juicer a few years ago.
Why I soon decided it was a waste of money?

1) I wasn't getting fresh produce often enough
2) they are a pain to clean, and if you use them several times a day, forgetaboutit
3) you are taking most of the fibre and some of the other goodstuff out of your fruits/veggies. That is a waste.

owensy
11-20-2006, 04:57 AM
http://www.happyjuicer.com/juicing-information/juicing-on-budget.asp

http://www.flowercarole.co.uk/

This is some British stuff on Smoothees. I think it's a personal thing, but they are sort of a pain in the ass, or at least they were to me. You have to drink things straight away or they go off, and lose their bio-availabilty... I think that's what it's called?

You have to be careful about the amount of fruits your ingesting, if you don't already have a lot of fruit in your diet. I think that having plenty of fruit and veg. is really important, but I remember starting to do it in the beginning, and drinking loads of stuff, and I'd be on the crapper forever. Stuff like that annoys me, because I lose weight quickly if I'm unwell.

They are an ass to clean. Even if you have a dish washer. There are days when you can't be bothered.

Did any of you hear about the Gerson Diet for cancer? I read about it in The Guardian {http://www.guardian.co.uk} ages ago.

I'm totally not qualified to talk about Cancer, though I lost my grandparents to it, so this isn't an opinion. It's something you might not have known about your juicer...

One of the things that Gerson says in this book, in the diet, is that if you use a juicer, to improve your immune system, with raw juices, etc, it'll help cancer victims boost their immune system to prevent tumours, etc.

A woman who was going blind because of an eye problem (it was a slow occuring thing, and the Gerson diet isn't just for cancer), was a reporter. She tried it for a few months to see if there was any improvement. As a person actually going through it, she said it was expensive going through all the fresh produce she was meant to produce in the diet, and that it was a pain in the ass having to be attached to a juicer all the time. She had to have them like all the time during the day.

One of the things you might not know about juicers!

http://www.cancure.org/AlternativeTherapy.htm

I don't have one in Thailand.

jdeity
11-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I bought a juicer a few years ago.
Why I soon decided it was a waste of money?

1) I wasn't getting fresh produce often enough
2) they are a pain to clean, and if you use them several times a day, forgetaboutit
3) you are taking most of the fibre and some of the other goodstuff out of your fruits/veggies. That is a waste.
that's pretty much what my dad relayed to me about his experience. Plus it was expensive as hell if you constantly make those smoothies.

I don't see what advantages a juicer has over a blender, except getting the good stuff separated from teh juice. Am I missing an advantage of the juicer? I'd much rather toss in some broccoli to my morning smoothie than drink its juices only.

Holto
11-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Blending the whole food is superior from a nutrition standpoint.

jdeity
11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
i actually prefer the taste, at least with the ingredients i do. I like a thicker, icy shake. (although this is mostly fruit and not veggies, can't say i'd want it the same with beets and onions lol)

owensy
11-22-2006, 02:04 AM
i actually prefer the taste, at least with the ingredients i do. I like a thicker, icy shake. (although this is mostly fruit and not veggies, can't say i'd want it the same with beets and onions lol)
I buy Tipco juice in Thailand. I was surprised that green tea with broccoli was actually pretty nice, with other stuff included, and it's packed with vit.c and antioxidants. I'd never have thought that it would taste nice with other stuff, and it's the main ingredient.

I also get a red carrot-juice drink out here.

Very cheap out here, but not sure what they'll have over there!

falcon123
11-22-2006, 11:15 AM
The idea behind the juice is that you can get more nutrients in as opposed to eating fresh. Try eating five large carrots vs. juicing and you still get vitamins, but lose out on fiber.

Then again, if you try to juice 2lbs of vegetables/day, it will get expensive pretty quickly. I juice too - I do 3 carrots and 1/2 small beet once a day for health benefits (that yield a cup of juice).

If you make muffins, re-using carrot pulp would give you additional fiber in your diet. If you want to re-use the pulp, make sure you peel as opposed to washing.

With fruits, you have to exercise moderation - that is if you decide to juice 'casue of fructose. One time I was coming down with something and decided to do some fruit juicing, twice a day. Did apples, oranges, and grapefruit - around 4 cups of juice a day for 3 days and whatever was bugging me, went away. Coincidence, maybe?

Fruits, I rather have fresh as I don't eat too many to begin with.

viperc8
11-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Alright so ditch the juicer.. I will just blend.. But again would would be a good idea to blend and jus take it down regardless of how nasty it will taste..

Alex.V
11-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Honestly I don't really see the need for fruits at all; they're nature's candy, and contain nothing that a good multi and some fiber won't give you. Vegetables... not bad, but there's nothing wrong with V8. Make youself a spinach salad with tomatos once a day, and eat the occasional sweet potato, and you'll be just fine.

Holto
11-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Honestly I don't really see the need for fruits at all; they're nature's candy, and contain nothing that a good multi and some fiber won't give you.

Phyto's?

I have read though that there are no phyto's in fruit that aren't also in veggies. I think that is where you were going.

jdeity
11-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Alright so ditch the juicer.. I will just blend.. But again would would be a good idea to blend and jus take it down regardless of how nasty it will taste..
yes