PDA

View Full Version : What about this routine (focused on Olympic lifts)?

erik-the-red
11-10-2006, 04:19 PM
As my gym has an Olympic platform, which is something I've wanted to use for a few months now, I've decided to switch my routine to focus on more on the Olympic lifts.

Since this web site is wannabeBIG, I've attached a pic of what I want my back to look like (forget that Mutlu is 56 kg). I believe that if I use appropriate weights given my current technique, size, eating habits, and rest, I can eventually look like that.

My idea for the routine is as follows:

Tuesday
Snatch (3 Singles)
Clean and Jerk (3 Singles)
Deadlifts (3 Singles)
Push Presses (3 Doubles)

Friday
Snatch (3 Singles)
Front Squat (3 Doubles)
Good Morning (2x6)

Sunday
Snatch (3 Singles)
Bench Press (2x5)
Row (2x5)

I would be using heavy (75-85% of max) weights for the snatch, C&J, deadlift, and squats.

I started getting interested in the Olympic lifts over the summer. I like them not only because of the much-touted explosive factor, but also because of the body fluency required to drop under the bar.

What are your comments on my proposed routine?

Dinosaur
11-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Instead of snatching and C&Jing three times a week, I'd mix it up a bit more. I'd make one of your snatch days a heavy day, one a lighter one to work on more reps for better form, and make one an overhead squat day (as if you want to snatch some serious weights you need a good overhead squat). I'd toss in back squats instead of front squats on Thursday and make one of your C&J days the same as the snatch but with front squats instead. Shrug pulls will be good too as then you'll learn about exploding from the ground.

Focusing on the Olympic lifts is a great idea, though.

ArchAngel777
11-11-2006, 08:33 AM
The routine looks ok, but it doesn't have enough volume in my opinion. Those singles are great, but why only three? Unless you are dealing within 90% of your max, then I would say 10 singles.

Workout 1

Snatch 80% 1RM - 10 singles - 1 minute rest between each.
Clean 80% 1RM - 10 singles - 1 minute rest between each set

Workout 2

Snatch 60% 1RM - 3 Triples - 1 minute rest between each set
Clean 60% 1RM - 3 Triples - 1 minute rest between each set

Workout 3

Snatch 70% 1 RM - 5 Doubles - 1 minute rest between each set
Clean 70% 1RM - 5 Doubles - 1 minute rest between each set

This is somewhat of a template that I use and have used in the past... Also, replace these lifts with various forms of them. Hang Cleans, Hang Snatch, Clean Pulls, Snatch Pulls, etc...

All three of those workouts can be done in under 25 minutes easily, giving you time to do whatever else you want to focus on for the rest. The idea is once you can do a certain weight 10 singles in under 10 minutes, you can move the weight up 5 pounds and then repeat... Rinse, repeat...

Hey, good luck!

Stumprrp
11-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Looks pretty good man but maybe switch and variate? high pulls/hang snatch/split jerks?

but what you put will make your VERY fast and strong

erik-the-red
11-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!