PDA

View Full Version : My Half-Assed Bulk Diet

Don Birnam
11-11-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi,

I suck at counting calories and keeping a regular (good) diet... that's all there is to it. I just can't do it, it's a weakness of mine. Knowing this, I have sort of evolved a half-assed diet that may or may not do the job. Here's what it is...

During the day I try to eat 2 meals out at restaurants (I'm lazy and hate making my own food). These meals will typically be the steak and potatoes type thing- a meat portion and a side of mashed potatoes and assorted vegetables. I figure these meals are 1000-1200 calories each. I often only eat 1 such meal but I shoot for 2. If I only eat 1 then I typically eat some "filler" food at home, i.e. a bowl of cereal, a grilled cheese sandwich, a few eggs etc.

I take slugs of olive oil during the day, especially before bed and also in the middle of the night when I inevitably wake up to go to the bathroom. This is probably 300-500 calories per day.

I eat a lot of mozzarella cheese, probably 600 calories per day. Before I go to bed I try to limit my intake to no carbs, just cheese, olive oil and say a can of tuna or scoop of whey. I probably ingest 2 or 3 scoops of whey a day (300-400 calories approx.).

On workout days I bring a workout drink with me- this is 2.5 scoops of whey (roughly 60g of protein) and 500-700 ml of grape juice. I would still consume 2 or 3 scoops of whey on the workout day over and above the workout shake.

As you can see this diet is built around simplicity and laziness- eating cheese and drinking olive oil is easy as hell, as is dining in restaurants. I am 6'7, 222 pounds give or take. I am chubbier than I have ever been in my whole life, yet I'm down some weight from my peak which was 228-ish about a month or 2 ago. I have problems keeping on weight and increasing my weight, particularly my muscle mass. This diet gives me between 3000-4000 calories per day depending on whether I hit the lower or upper limits on each food item. I assume this diet is far from ideal for a bulk, but it's geared on the 80-20 rule more or less. I know I won't be able to maintain a kickass diet so I just want my diet to get me most of the way there without any hassle.

I just want to hear some feedback on whether this diet is reasonable. Basically, is it healthy, will it get me to increase muscle while holding off additional fat gain, etc.

Thanks for reading.

Stumprrp
11-11-2006, 05:54 AM
as long as the calories are above maintain and you have acceptable amount of protien it should work. resturant food isnt TO bad if they make the food fresh. may i ask how in the world are you chubby at 6'7 220? lol.

goose21
11-11-2006, 08:30 AM
ive never heard of chugging olive oil

ancom41
11-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I would think a full plate at a restuarant would be much higher than 1000-1200 calories?

Howard 9
11-11-2006, 10:58 AM
ive never heard of chugging olive oil
yeah i ussually put it in my shakes and tried drinking it one time, it tasted terrible. Real bad after taste.

RedSpikeyThing
11-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Half-assed diet = half-assed results

It might work, it might not. They key to long term success is consistancy. This is not consistant, so I would say it won't be sucessful in the long run. I hope you prove me wrong though ;)

Don Birnam
11-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Half-assed diet = half-assed results

It might work, it might not. They key to long term success is consistancy. This is not consistant, so I would say it won't be sucessful in the long run. I hope you prove me wrong though ;)

Thanks for your honesty RST. My question is this though- this diet, while "half-assed", still gets like 80% of the way there. It gets me eating big calories when my innate desire is to eat like a bird. It also puts a lot of protein in me every day, like almost always 1 gram per pound bodyweight.

Realistically I have no idea how people can hit their perfect diets all the time- anytime I'm out with friends we're bound to eat some random food at a restaurant, and I travel a fair bit too at which point my diet goes out the window. A ton of solid-built guys I know just "half-ass" it to a much larger extent than me, i.e. grabbing a croissant for lunch, going a long time without eating if they're up to this or that.

My diet tries to hit most of the notes an ideal diet would, with about 20% of the effort. Is it truly a significant step down from a "perfect" diet? Can you suggest steps that would improve my diet immediately? Thanks for all the help.

Don Birnam
11-12-2006, 11:49 PM
yeah i ussually put it in my shakes and tried drinking it one time, it tasted terrible. Real bad after taste.

Don't drink it straight... pour however much oil into your mouth then pour a bunch of water in, swish it all around and swallow.

TopCat
11-12-2006, 11:55 PM
I really dont think its that great of a bulk. Regardless to what some may think it is VERY important to count your calories while bulking, though not as important as cutting. You need to know what your eating. There are a lot of about, almost, if in your description of what you eat. yes, Fitday (www.fitday.com) can take a little time to get all kinds of custom stuff added in but if you eat the same thing every day its very easy after adding it all in. This way you know that your getting enough calories and that your macros are in check. And again, half assed attempts, half assed results. Doesnt take long to make a protein shake.

TopCat
11-12-2006, 11:59 PM
will it get me to increase muscle while holding off additional fat gain, etc.

Honestly unless you are: A genetic exception, on some gear, or some other bizzare condition, no diet is going to make that happen. You will almost always, gain some fat while gaining muscle in a bulk. What you can change is the ratio of fat:muscle

McIrish
11-13-2006, 04:32 AM
Don - do some planning over the weekends and you should have no problem getting adequate calories during the week. For example, I used to grill up 5-10 chicken breasts at a time and boil 4 or 5 lbs of sweet potatoes. I would put the excess of both in little plastic containers in the fridge, and then during the week it is simple to throw them into a microwave for a snack. Also, protein shakes are basically free calorie vehicles, so load up on shakes in between "real" meals and you should have no problem hitting 4000 cals/day. I was comfortably at 3,500 for a long period of time. Now, I don't bother tracking since I know *roughly* what I'm eating (a year's worth of fitday will do that to ya).

Stumprrp
11-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Mcirish is correct Precook stuff like boiled eggs chicken ect, same with shakes its very easy to make a 1000 calorie shack that tastes good and is good for you.

my favorite..

16 oz milk
2 scoops whey
2 tbps peanut butter
1 banana
blueberrys
oatmeal

thick and tastes really good

RedSpikeyThing
11-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Realistically I have no idea how people can hit their perfect diets all the time- anytime I'm out with friends we're bound to eat some random food at a restaurant, and I travel a fair bit too at which point my diet goes out the window. A ton of solid-built guys I know just "half-ass" it to a much larger extent than me, i.e. grabbing a croissant for lunch, going a long time without eating if they're up to this or that.

My diet tries to hit most of the notes an ideal diet would, with about 20% of the effort. Is it truly a significant step down from a "perfect" diet? Can you suggest steps that would improve my diet immediately? Thanks for all the help.

I hear you, I'm a student. Drinking, smoking, eating out....happens all the time. I also eat clean as much as I can. Generally about 5 days a week are clean and the other two are far from perfect.

My point was not that you won't see results, but they won't be as good as they could be. When I started bulking, I thought I was eating like a horse - I put it into fitday and it was like 1900 calories. Without tracking I would never have known that. Now I track everything I eat, even if it is takeout, beer, whatever, and I know how much I have eaten. There have been many days where I thought to myself "wow I ate really well today", only to find out I was like 900 calories short. If I wasn't tracking, I wouldn't have known that.
Personally, if I didn't track I probably wouldn't gain weight at all. I'm 150 lbs and eat 3500-3750 a day. I'm not even hungry when I eat the last 1000 calories. It's tough to do, but fitday is a constant reminder of what you have to do.