PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a rut.. kinda

jft9120
11-11-2006, 11:48 AM
hey new to the thread really excited about it

first off, im sixteen years old and a junior in highschool. Ive always been made fun of for being fat, and have always tried and failed at getting thinner. well, this summer, i did something about it. with good old exercise and eating healthy and in moderation, i dropped about 35-40 pounds, from around 234 to around 192 and also grew 3 inches to about 6 ft 1. i was really excited about it, and lost most of it during football season. Now, im kinda confused about where to go next. Im really looking for that cut muscular look with the six pack and all. Im not muscular at all, so I think I should get in my schools weight room. My coach is a certified personal trainer, so he has a lifting routine set up for the football team. Im still worried about my weight though. Even with losing 40 pounds, Im still really flabby, especially around the midsection. Im confused whether i should be doing cardio, lifting, or both. Ive heard that a lot of cardio is bad from around this forum, so I think I should be doing mostly lifting. In time, and with the right diet and hard work, I want to drop my bf percentage and gain muscle mass at the same time by lifting. Is this possible? Its a little frustrating when I get on the scale every morning cuz my weight stays the same and idk if its just cuz im gaining muscle and losing fat or waht?

Sorry for the long post, but i have one more question. If i can indeed lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, will the diet i have right now work? I think this is a lot of protein I know i need more calories but i cant figure out what to eat.

here is my usual diet:

Morning before school: protein shake, 44 g protein, 1/4 cup of oatmeal to throw in shake for taste, and 8oz. skim milk
mid morning: protein bar, 21 g protein 210 calories
lunch: PB and J lol, bottle of water, apple, goldfish haha, and a granola bar (typical highschool brownbag lunch)
after lifting: same protein shake as before school
dinner: w/e, usually some sort of chicken and salad
snack: protein bar, 21 g
before bed: protein shake, except with 22 g proteiin instead of 44g

is this good?

whole post in an eggshell: my goal is to lose fat and gain muscle to get that cut toned look, just not sure how to do it.

Thankkksss

jdeity
11-11-2006, 04:38 PM
First off, congratulations on what you've done so far, that's some great progress.

Now, you're asking about what to do next, you seem to want to add muscle and lose fat. The fact that you ask that means that you're probably (well, i already know this by your age/ questions, but anyways) very new to this. I say that because you need to be deciding which you want to do if you want to do one effectively (bulk or cut). Trying to gain muscle means working out hard, and eating more calories than your body is burning off. You'll need to eat enough to support your energy levels, your life, and extra for new muscle tissue. If you go past that, you'll have extra for new fat. On the other hand, to lose fat, you need to have a deficit of calories, so that your living / energy requirements are not met by the food you're eating, and then your body uses fat for fuel.

So, hopefully now you can see why you'll want to decide whether you want to bulk and gain muscle, or cut and lose fat. Many people like to bulk over the winter, and cut over the summer. When you bulk, as i mentioned before, you need to eat extra calories for muscle growth. Now, most people eat a little past that, to ensure they're maximizing growth (as opposed to trying to eat exactly enough to support muscle, and not a calorie extra to support fat. This would likely cause you, unless you were a ridiculous nutritionist) to shortchange your muscle growth).

Also, if you're playing sports, i don't think you're gonna want to cut during that, as it will hamper your performance.

I highly suggest reading as many articles from this site as possible. I also suggest being careful what sites you read from, as there is so much garbage and misinformation out there it isn't even funny. Oh, and you did not mention supplementions - good! You're young, so you haven't already wasted a ton of time and money on bogus supplements / bad advice, and rest assured this industry is full of those. Keep reading as much as you can from old forum posts/threads, and the articles, and you will learn a ton. I never made any physical progress (I was always able to get stronger, just not larger) until i came here (which is much earlier than my usernname says, this is a second usernname.)

jdeity
11-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Also, if you're so inclined, you really may find fitday.com very very useful. It's a free program, extremely easy to use (after a few days it will be second nature), that tracks your eating. It allows you to see calories, carbs/fats/protein for the day, and for the past week, 2 weeks, month, etc. Extremely useful program, you'll likely find it invaluable if you're planning on being serious about making physical changes.

mickyjune26
11-11-2006, 05:01 PM
As with any goal in life, learn how others have reached the same goal. Here are a few tips.

1. Stick around WBB, start an online journal so you can post your progress.
2. Read as many WBB articles as you can. My favorites are below.
3. Keep it simple, use compound lifts (deadlift, squat, bench press, military press, and BB rows.), and always warm-up.
4. Personal tip - For me, I do better if I focus on strength gains, as opposed to weight change. I do this, because I notice a faster change in strength gains than I do with weight change. That being said, if you focus on becoming stronger, and you aren't going crazy with the number of calories you're eating, you will still build muscle and lose fat.
5. MOST IMPORTANTLY - This is a lifestyle that is very, very rewarding. Think of what you like about lifting, eating right and exercising as often as possible. If needs be, WRITE IT DOWN IN YOUR WBB JOURNAL. The sooner you teach yourself to enjoy this fun process, the more likely you are to stick with it throughout high school and for a long time afterwards!

You are on the beginning of a very enjoyable process. Please keep reading WBB articles and keep asking questions.

:idea:

jft9120
11-11-2006, 05:20 PM
yea ive realized that it is a really rewarding experience to be able to change your body and actually see results. it has become fun for me, kind of like a game or challenge everyday. so if im reading right, i need to either bulk/cut? hmm.. im not sure what i wanna do, because im supposed to be in the weightroom lifting everyday afterschool for football, but i wanna look good for summer :thumbup: :thumbup: not sure lol

i have realized though that eating right can become second nature if you do it long enough, like a habit or something

so pretty much everything ive always learned about gaining muscle and burning fat at the same time is bogus? lol greaaaat

mickyjune26
11-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

It sounds like you are somewhat still new to weightlifting, right?
If you cut your caloric intake a little, but not too much, you will still build muscle, even as you are losing fat.

When you graduate to an intermediate lifter (6+ months of solid lifting), it becomes a lot harder to gain muscle and strength while cutting.

I'm bulking, but I'm trying to do it slowly, so I don't gain too much fat. This means I gain less than 1 pound a week. If I gain more than a pound a week, I know I'm getting fatter.

If you are serious, read the beginners articles for both lifting and nutrition in my signature.

If you have the desire, we're here to help.

mickyjune26
11-11-2006, 05:40 PM
PS - first, find out your caloric requirements at a weight maintainance level.

jft9120
11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
how do i do that?

Holto
11-11-2006, 06:58 PM
how do i do that?

Track your daily cals at fitday.com

If you are eating say 2500 cals for a few weeks and maintain weight then that is your maintenance calories.

There is no formula to calculate it can only be observed, and it can only be observed if you know exactly what you are eating.

The weighing/measuring becomes second nature very quickly.

mickyjune26
11-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Though there isn't an exact formula, you can start by reading the WBB Calorie Calc article listed in my sig below.

jft9120
11-11-2006, 10:32 PM
okkk... im not lookin to get huge, like a bodybuilder or anything, i just wanna get a lil more slim and get toned up

i just made a thing with fitday and will report what my maintenance calories are

MagnaSephiroth
11-12-2006, 01:07 AM
What exactly did you do to lose al that weight? And how fast did you lose it?

jft9120
11-12-2006, 06:39 AM
well lol

I had been trying all summer and it wasnt working out, I was up and down all the way. Then when i reported for conditioning camp at the end of the summer, i was weighed in at 226. I had dropped like 8 pounds the whole summer. Then, as soon as conditioning camp started up until now, ive just been eating healthier and going to football practice, where its a pretty good conditioning workout. Now that its over, ive started taking as much protein as possible and lifting afterschool w/ a few sprints, maybe a half mile and some bleachers after to do some cardio

jft9120
11-12-2006, 08:52 PM
ok

ive been going through what i could possibly eat to bulk

what is the break down for how much protein/carb/fat ratio?

this is what i came up with

Protein: 38 percent
Carb:39 percent
Fat: 24 percent

It also says im taking in 326 grams of protein- is this too much??

this is just a hypothetical situation i made for myself but is what i could realistically do

jdeity
11-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Essentially, you need a certain amount of fats, and a certain amount of protein, and a certain number of total calories to bulk. As long as you get your protein and fat, you can just use carbs to fill the bulk.

Wish I could tell you what amount of protein / fat to take, but people compute it off lbm i believe, which i do not. I just kind of eat a ton, but because I have a high metabolism I can totally overshoot on fat/protein w/o really worrying much about it. If i had a slower metabolism i'd find more concrete numbers to start wtih.