PDA

View Full Version : peanuts okay?

teaturtle
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
are peanuts okay to eat postworkout (not postpostworkout meal) ? i dont have any milk, whey, or any fast acting proteins. i wasnt sure if peanuts were ok cause of the fats in them which would slow absorption of the protein..

usually ive only been having powdered gatorade immediately after workout then a protein/carb/some fat meal 1-2 hours later. i just discovered that i should be getting some protein atleast 20g i believe) right after working out today.

x1986x
11-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Just curious, but I too have some gatorade PWO... but is there a benefit from using powdered gatorade as opposed to a regular bottle?

Davidelmo
11-11-2006, 03:55 PM
The easiest way is to just buy some protein powder. Also, why don't you have milk? Are you allergic to it? I can't think of any reason you can't buy milk otherwise.

You'd also have to eat a hell of a lot of nuts to get 20g protein. Probably around 100g of nuts which would be about 600 calories. Also, i'm not sure your digestive system will appreciate that - I know I'd pooped out whole nuts before when I try to binge-eat them.

teaturtle
11-11-2006, 04:30 PM
well 1/2 cup of peanuts is ~14g protein..

i dont have milk right now cause we're out.

would nitrean work instead of whey?

clawhammer_33
11-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes

teaturtle
11-11-2006, 06:24 PM
ok does a banana and a nitrean + milk shake sound good for immediate PW meal/shake?

clawhammer_33
11-11-2006, 06:34 PM
ok does a banana and a nitrean + milk shake sound good for immediate PW meal/shake?

that sounds good anytime. The bannana is fructose, which won't replenish muscle glycogen, so make sure you have enough (dextrose) carbs.

teaturtle
11-11-2006, 07:45 PM
i heard a little fructose is good to have after workout cause it refills the liver or something. i wanna have the banana cause of the high gi carbs and the nitrean/milk for protein.

dissipate
11-11-2006, 08:37 PM
peanuts contain lots of fat, which theoretically would slow protein absorption down......... but i don't think the results are so significant to cause any worry. some people eat whole food after working out and have no problems. if you do have to go with peanuts, just take account of the amount of fat they contain and factor it into your total daily caloric intake.

teaturtle
11-11-2006, 09:22 PM
ok and the fruit is okay too?

MagnaSephiroth
11-12-2006, 01:05 AM
I would try to stay away from fats while around a workout. They slow protein absorbtion, and they dont give your body very good stuff to fill and replish your muscles.

teaturtle
11-12-2006, 10:45 AM
ok but Nitrean has fast and slow acting proteins right? It's a blend or atleast that's what I always thought..

abbot
11-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Although I just cannot recall the advantages of peanuts at the present moment but I am sure that I had encountered a place where I found that there were lots of evidences in favor of the peanuts and it was also stated that most people avoid peanuts thinking that they contain extra fats which are eventually bad for the body. I think if you take the trouble to enquire this from a nutrition expert he too will agree that the peanuts are good for the overall health, whatever maybe the case they certainly do not make a whole lot of difference.

kent121
12-08-2006, 11:36 PM
It's really wondering why people think peanuts contain extra fats. May be many of us don't know that in 1999 a ground-breaking study published in the December issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition may change the dietary advice that has been given to Americans for more than two decades. The landmark study tested diets high in "good" monounsaturated fat (MUFA) which is found in Peanuts. Did you forget the popular song "Peanut Butter Jelly Time"? Eat it as much you can, I promise you won't get fat.

Davidelmo
12-09-2006, 05:31 AM
well 1/2 cup of peanuts is ~14g protein..

i dont have milk right now cause we're out.

would nitrean work instead of whey?

Hmm, you dont want to be thinking protein in terms of 14g portions.. try thinking of it in 40g portions. Even one scoop of Nitrean is 25g I think.

That half cup of peanuts contains about 400kcal. I notice that you're a girl and even though you're bulking I doubt you are eating 3000kcal+ a day. Might not want to "spend" a large proportion of your calories on nuts that only give you 14g protein.. get it?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-09-2006, 01:24 PM
i heard a little fructose is good to have after workout cause it refills the liver or something.That would be liver glycogen. Which brings us back to the word "glucose".

Stumprrp
12-10-2006, 08:25 PM
people worry about this to much, therefore i make a 1000+ calorie shake on some days and call it a day.

just eat, plain and simple, make sure you get protien and carb fat if you want, this has worked for me lol.

nitrean shake with some oats is fine.

ADT
12-11-2006, 11:46 AM
One would wonder if I advocate the use of peanuts in a bodybuilder's diet. What do you think? :scratch:

Was this thread designed for me to answer?

"Peanuts are a rich source of proteins (roughly 30 grams per cup after roasting) and Monounsaturated fat. Recent research on peanuts and nuts in general has found anti-oxidants and other chemicals that may provide health benefits. [7] Peanuts are a significant source of resveratrol, a chemical studied for potential anti-aging effects."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut

"Nuts may be heart healthy. Scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol and not increasing overall caloric intake may reduce the risk of heart disease."

source: http://www.nutnutrition.com/nutrition/faq.htm

“Thankfully, researchers from Purdue University have now demonstrated that chronic peanut consumption has a beneficial effect on markers of cardiac health. They studied 15 healthy men and women for 30 weeks, in a complex study assessing the effect of peanut consumption under 3 different dietary conditions. Their conclusions were that peanut consumption reduces serum triglyceride levels by up to 24%, even in situations where peanuts were added to the regular diets, and thus ought to reduce cardiovascular risk by up to 6 - 8%. Furthermore, peanuts added significant magnesium, folate, fiber, copper and arginine to the dietary intake. The researchers also noted no increase in body weight during the 30-week trial. They speculated that peanuts may create a sense of satiety (fullness,) thus reducing their subjects' overall caloric consumption. The FDA now allows peanuts - along with walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, and pistachios - to be advertised as providing a health benefit.”

source: http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/riskfactors/a/peanuts.htm

Peanuts yay or nay? PEANUTS YAY! :thumbup:

Best,
Andrew