PDA

View Full Version : plyometrics - rest between sets??

Bob
11-11-2006, 04:17 PM
OK, I searched for this.. even googled.. but couldn't find something exact..

When doing plyometric training, how much do YOU rest between sets?

From what I read, top athletes and those doing Plyos for their HIIT or cardio type of workouts, usually have very short rest periods... 15 - 30 seconds.

But is this ideal when trying to build maximum explosiveness? I mean OLifters sometimes wait 15 minutes between sets.

Wouldn't it be better to wait 2-3 minutes between sets?

And if anyone has any science papers - Pubmed or research.. please send along a link/pointer please.

Thanks..

Sensei
11-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I'd start with an NSCA Journal search. You won't be able to read the articles unless you're paying dues, but you can at least browse the abstracts. http://nsca.allenpress.com/nscaonline/?request=search-simple

droman
11-16-2006, 09:12 PM
for maximum exploviness its about between 3 and 5 minutes
based on myself and what ive read. they do lower rest to replicate game like condtions and endurance. but for exploviness it's what ive listed above.

CosmicForce
11-17-2006, 02:10 AM
for maximum exploviness its about between 3 and 5 minutes
based on myself and what ive read. they do lower rest to replicate game like condtions and endurance. but for exploviness it's what ive listed above.
I usually wait 1 minute between sets of box jumps. 3-5 sounds to long. I could be wrong.

droman
11-17-2006, 08:35 PM
yeah it is long but plyometrics are really taxing on the body and to recover for the next set. so you need the rest so you can give all out effort. For most people though 1 or 2 minutes are fine just don't do many plyometric exercises. 3-5 minutes are what are used for maximum explosiveness. But you will see the results from 1 or 2 minute rest