PDA

View Full Version : The cravings are getting out of hand

IHaveToCrushYou
11-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey guys Ive been on a cut for the last few months and initially everthing was great, I lost 10 lbs but for the last month or so I have been craving carbs like never before. Luckily I am not overeating like I did last time I tried cutting (which ended up causin me to gain 20 lbs after losing 8) so at worst I am eating at maintenance level. The thing is, I see no end to these cravings. Its getting to a point where if I dont eat something filled with carbs (chocolate bar, chocolate milk, bagel) I actually see a change in my mood. When my cut started weeks flew by and I saw the weight dropping quite a bit (maybe 2 lbs a week). Now 1 week drags on and I cant stop cheating. Is there any way to get rid of these cravings?

reloaded
11-11-2006, 08:14 PM
I would suggest drink a lot more water than you've been drinking or try some type of appetite suppressant.

Howard 9
11-11-2006, 08:18 PM
what was your old matience cals and what are your cals now?

teaturtle
11-11-2006, 08:19 PM
im on a clean bulk and i get those cravings

so i cant imagine how it'd be on a cut..

dissipate
11-11-2006, 08:32 PM
how long have you been cutting? and how far below maintenance have you been eating?

Billfromthehill
11-25-2006, 07:10 PM
take a shotglass full of coconut oil.you will have to sit the shot glass in hot water to get the coconut oil in a liquid state.flax works ok too

clawhammer_33
11-25-2006, 07:56 PM
From your fitday, your diet is terrible. Anyone would crave like hell on that.

But all is not lost, start over, read all the faqs, learn, and try again.

SEALBound
11-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Whenever you feel hungry but you know you shouldn't be eating...chew some gum.

deeder
11-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Yup cutting sucks and you're gonna crave crappy food if you ate alot of it before.

How about this. Next time you crave a chocolat bar, have a chocolate flavored protein shake.

The fact of the matter is that you are letting your cravings control you. Don't be such a baby.

Pup
11-26-2006, 03:19 PM
The fact of the matter is that you are letting your cravings control you. Don't be such a baby.

Is this your idea of constructive criticism...the guy is asking for suggestions to help him improve his dieting success, why be insulting?

Cravings are generally do to hormonal fluctuations, they also become pronounced when you are in a severe calorie deficit. Increasing fat intake has been shown to alleviate hormonal hunger somewhat. Another option is to cycle your carb intake. A third option (which i tend to like) is take in the blunt of your carbs post workout if you train at night, low gi carbs should help you stave off the late night sugar cravings.

Beast
11-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Another option is to cycle your carb intake.
+1. I never had cravings on a real carb-cycling cut.

ArchAngel777
11-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I may give carb cycling a try here shortly.

mickyjune26
11-26-2006, 09:23 PM
I looked at your fitday, and I too, am concerned that you may not be eating right as it is. You may actually need some more carbs. Try reading the WBB articles in my sig to make sure where you are starting is the right path in the first place.

What are your maintainance calories?

Try the calorie calculator in my sig.

deeder
11-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Is this your idea of constructive criticism...the guy is asking for suggestions to help him improve his dieting success, why be insulting?

Cravings are generally do to hormonal fluctuations, they also become pronounced when you are in a severe calorie deficit. Increasing fat intake has been shown to alleviate hormonal hunger somewhat. Another option is to cycle your carb intake. A third option (which i tend to like) is take in the blunt of your carbs post workout if you train at night, low gi carbs should help you stave off the late night sugar cravings.

I think my suggestion before what you quoted could qualify as a "suggestion to help him improve his dieting success".

Why be insulting? Because I hear people all the time that whine, bitch and moan that they can't lose weight but they don't eat properly. If you don't have the self-control to not eat cake, chocolat bars, etc. then you WILL NOT lose weight!

Where did you find that cravings are due to hormonal fluctuations? Wtf is hormonal hunger?

OP:
Stop eating high GI carbs. When I was on my cut anything with sugar in it would make me super hungry about an hour later.

Anthony
11-27-2006, 06:01 AM
Is there any way to get rid of these cravings?

Yeah - fix your diet. Because right now it sucks.

Pup
11-27-2006, 06:55 AM
I think my suggestion before what you quoted could qualify as a "suggestion to help him improve his dieting success".

Why be insulting? Because I hear people all the time that whine, bitch and moan that they can't lose weight but they don't eat properly. If you don't have the self-control to not eat cake, chocolat bars, etc. then you WILL NOT lose weight!

Where did you find that cravings are due to hormonal fluctuations? Wtf is hormonal hunger?

OP:
Stop eating high GI carbs. When I was on my cut anything with sugar in it would make me super hungry about an hour later.

Your attitude is not very good, if you don't want to help people than don't, no one is forcing you to.

Hormonal hunger is just another way of saying cravings related to drops or increases in satiety related hormones (primarily insulin). I'd discuss it more, but you seem to know everything so I'll keep my mouth shut.

ArchAngel777
11-27-2006, 09:31 AM
After looking through your fitday journal, it looks like you DRINK a lot of your calories (some 500+ not including Opticon). My suggestion at the very least is to ditch the yogurt andchocolate milk and replace it with something else. You might also want to consider only having one glass of milk instead of 2 (4 if you include chocolate). So out of those ~2000 only 1000 of them are comming from solid foods. This will no doubt cause some problems...

Pup
11-27-2006, 11:27 AM
After looking at your fitday...you need a complete diet overhaul. You need to get back to the most basic elements and go from there. Berardi's 10 rules would be a great place to start. You can find those either at his home site (science link) or from his article archive at T-nation.

mickyjune26
11-27-2006, 12:30 PM
eat some dirt. It is low cal and a great filler.

deeder
12-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Your attitude is not very good, if you don't want to help people than don't, no one is forcing you to.

Hormonal hunger is just another way of saying cravings related to drops or increases in satiety related hormones (primarily insulin). I'd discuss it more, but you seem to know everything so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Once again, I thought I was helping him. I'm sorry if I'm too blunt for you. Cravings are something everyone deals with. Not giving in to them is the only way to stay on a solid diet.

I understand that being hungry is a result of hormonal fluctuations. I thought you were saying he craved high GI carbs because of this. I don't think that's true. If you don't eat alot of junk you won't crave it when you're cutting.

reloaded
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM
It's ok to have some cookies or other sweets every once in awhile. As long as your macros are still in order and calories are under control.

teaturtle
12-01-2006, 06:25 PM
why is it bad to get most of your cals from liquids? i prolly get half of mine from milk and shakes, im on a bulk though

12-01-2006, 08:44 PM
sugar free jello, sugar free gum and crystal- thats what got me though my cut

Beast
12-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I drank a good amount of diet soda, too. Don't forget to include a lot of fiber in your diet, as that gives a sensation of fullness.

RedSpikeyThing
12-01-2006, 11:07 PM
why is it bad to get most of your cals from liquids? i prolly get half of mine from milk and shakes, im on a bulk though

It's not bad in the unhealthy sense. It's bad on a cut because you want the few calories you eat to be satisfying, but drinking them doens't really accomplish this. A bulk is a whole other story ;)

12-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I drank a good amount of diet soda, too.

me to and i dont even like pop normally but it helped with the cravings

TKO
12-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Hey guys Ive been on a cut for the last few months and initially everthing was great, I lost 10 lbs but for the last month or so I have been craving carbs like never before. Luckily I am not overeating like I did last time I tried cutting (which ended up causin me to gain 20 lbs after losing 8) so at worst I am eating at maintenance level. The thing is, I see no end to these cravings. Its getting to a point where if I dont eat something filled with carbs (chocolate bar, chocolate milk, bagel) I actually see a change in my mood. When my cut started weeks flew by and I saw the weight dropping quite a bit (maybe 2 lbs a week). Now 1 week drags on and I cant stop cheating. Is there any way to get rid of these cravings?

Listen to your body... I can only tell you that you need to expect mood swings on a cut. Really, if you ask any bodybuilders spouse or friend(not them) they will tell you how people get cranky when cutting. My poor husband lived with me for 5 mo. of cutting for my first show, adn when I got off stage... first it was congrats 2nd was you owe mee...lol
Just do your best, and take key suggestions from everyone. No one person is going to have all the answers, but not eating enough is just as bad if not worse than eating too much.
Good luck!!!

teaturtle
12-02-2006, 11:53 AM
me to and i dont even like pop normally but it helped with the cravings

I drank a good amount of diet soda, too.

Isn't soda, whether diet or not, bad for you???

DonH8Dagr8n8
12-02-2006, 02:01 PM
I read somthing a little while ago about naturaly sliner people. It said that most the the time they enjoy there food much more and take time in eating it, eat what they want when ever and there body tells them that they have had enufgh. I donno if that is helpfull but when i was cutting i always just thought of what i wannted and i would eat that and just relax for a while and you may be a little hungry but its ok. gerrr.. my 02 cets

EvanH
12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Self control...

Beast
12-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Isn't soda, whether diet or not, bad for you???
How?

EvanH
12-02-2006, 02:33 PM
^^ I think diet soda still has excessive amounts of sugar in it.

RedSpikeyThing
12-02-2006, 03:46 PM

No, it's diet ;)

It's the aspartame that gets the bad rep.

Beast
12-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Synthetic sugars do not count as calories.

Absolute
12-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Synthetic sugars do not count as calories.

Supposedly they do result in an insulin response, though, and that makes it about the same as drinking regular soda. It seems to me that a lot of overweight people drink diet soda (excluding people who cut and bulk, of course). That's anecdotal evidence, though.

LivinItUp
12-03-2006, 12:06 PM

Bang your head against the wall until knocked out cold. You won't even realize you're hungry when you're asleep! Or...just say '**** me I'm not eatin' that ****'

it's all mental

IHaveToCrushYou
12-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys, for the last few days my diet has gone to **** because of exams and stressing out over not having a good diet lol. I thought my eating was in order and that the only thing missing was veggies which I plan to start incorporating. I think I'll keep the opticen and get rid of the yogurt/chocolate milk. If someone could post an example of a really good meal plan that I could deconstruct, I would appreciate it. I took a look at the one in Built's sig but it uses Peanut Butter (which Im allergic to) and I'd like to analyse a couple side by side.

I guess at this point I have read so much stuff on what to eat/what not to eat that it has jumbled up in my my mind and I am more confused now than ever. I mean I understand that I need 1g Protein for every lb of body weight, and .5g healthy fat for every lb of bodyweight, which leaves the rest to carbs.

But you can't eat carbs before your workout, and every meal before that should be protein and fat. So it looks like eggs will be my friend.