PDA

View Full Version : Bananas?

Skinny Rail
11-12-2006, 08:43 AM
I was at a customers house yesterday and I noticed they had some kind of diet plan on their refrigerator, it said you can eat any fruit except bananas. I eat 3 every morning. Is this bad for a cutting phase? Whats wrong with bananas?

RedSpikeyThing
11-12-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with bananas. Any diet plan that says a fruit off a tree is bad for you is dumb IMO.

Some people will tell you to avoid fruit because it contains fructose, though I don't think it's a big deal.

Unreal
11-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Well, a banana is about 100-110 cals a piece. So 300-330 cals of fructose based carbs isn't the best, but if it fits into your diet plan, then go for it.

reloaded
11-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I eat bananas all the time with my PWO shake.

AzBboy
11-12-2006, 11:33 AM
It's said that muscle tissue cannot store fructose as glycogen because it cannot convert it into glycogen. Only the liver can, and the liver's glycogen stores are used to fuel the brain only. The liver cannot store much glycogen at a time, typically 100g max, so any extra is stored as bodyfat. So if you're cutting, fruit CAN be bad if eating to much.

Holto
11-12-2006, 11:49 AM
It's said that muscle tissue cannot store fructose as glycogen because it cannot convert it into glycogen. Only the liver can, and the liver's glycogen stores are used to fuel the brain only. The liver cannot store much glycogen at a time, typically 100g max, so any extra is stored as bodyfat. So if you're cutting, fruit CAN be bad if eating to much.

This is where the fitness game takes a quantam leap. The liver will convert it to fat. Your body has a fair chance to burn this fat. It's an assumption that it will be stored.

Also do you have a link that states hepatic glycogen is only used to fuel the brain?

-thanks

AzBboy
11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Heres the link http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa14.htm and I was just re-reading it and it said that the liver DOES fuel the entire body. It just says if your muscle and liver stores are full, THEN the extra turns to fat. My bad on the mis-info.

Slim Schaedle
11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Also do you have a link that states hepatic glycogen is only used to fuel the brain?

You probably know this and are just testing him, but ya... hepatic glycogen can provide ATP for numerous biosynthetic processes.

edit: ...and I totally didn't read the post above before I posted

gator
11-12-2006, 08:51 PM

Fructose is made up of sucrose and glucose, glucose can be converted into glycogen, which can then be used to replenish muscle glycogen. (i'm pretty sure thats right feel free to correct me though)

Slim Schaedle
11-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Fructose is made up of sucrose and glucose, glucose can be converted into glycogen, which can then be used to replenish muscle glycogen. (i'm pretty sure thats right feel free to correct me though)
Fructose only consists of fructose.

You might be thinking of high fructose corn syrup, which would be fructose and glucose.

Mercuryblade
11-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Fructose gets a bad rep because of high fructose corn syrup, because of the affects excess fructose in the body has(when there is already adequate amounts of glucose present).
High Fructose corn syrup is about 55% fructose by weight (the kind used in soft drinks), an apple is about 6% fructose by weight.
So an average apple is going to be about 6 - 7g fructose, a can of coke would have about 22g. In response to the OP I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know bananas have less sugar content than apples.
An apple is one of the fruits with the highest sugar content. The fructose in an apple also isn't aborbed as quickly.

Holto
11-13-2006, 01:29 PM
You probably know this and are just testing him

I was pretty sure but I never mind being corrected.

Some of my best experiences here involved unlearning things I thought I knew.

Slim Schaedle
11-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I was pretty sure but I never mind being corrected.

Some of my best experiences here involved unlearning things I thought I knew.
My best experiences involved being playfully ridiculed by El Pietro when I first joined and taking it the wrong way.

PowemanDL had a way with words too.

those were the days...