PDA

View Full Version : Bench Shirt Newbie

Sidior
11-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I am looking to buy an IPF legal bench shirt and I really have no idea what to look for. This would be my first gear purchase of any kind so I really dont know where to begin. Obviously I would be looking for one more newbie friendly. I tuck elbows in while benching and I bring the bar low. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Chubrock
11-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Check the Metal Guide on EFS.

Sidior
11-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Check the Metal Guide on EFS.

I have already read that and it was very helpful. The only problem is that only discusses metal products. I am already currently leaning towards them after reading about alot of different brands, but an unbiased view is always more useful.

Chubrock
11-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Haha I agree.

waynedang
11-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Titan F6. You cant beat the warranty of Titan gear. I have used a bunch of different shirts and for the $$$ this is the best. If you buy do not get it from Titan they are slow. Go through a dealer. My team and I all use ken anderson http://andersonpowerlifting.com/ but make sure you call him e-mail is not his thing!

Also try to find someone who knows shirt benching and train with them it will save you a ton of work and stress.

Wayne

drew
11-13-2006, 08:04 PM
An Inzer Rage, Rage-X, or Titan F6 would be good starters.

TommyBoy
11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Very good advice from everyone here. I'm 100% metal as far as gear goes, but I would definitely recommend the Titan Fury or F6. If you have a big arch go for the F6, otherwise the Fury is solid. I'm just tinkering with a Fury and slowly learning the groove; it's a good shirt. I've also used the Rage X and the groove was really easy to learn for me. The bottom line is, with all these new shirts out now a days, you need to bench with the elbows in....which is what you do already, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Sidior
11-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I will be going with the F6 but I still have a little more research to go. I will keep you updated.

bloodninja
11-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Metal shirt link please?

I'm looking to get started with a shirt also. I have disproportionately strong triceps compared to my chest from years of benching narrow with my elbows in, so I think I would see really good gains from a shirt.

Sidior
11-13-2006, 11:29 PM
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/metal-manual.pdf

That is about everything you could possibly need to know about metal.

Sidior
11-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Very good advice from everyone here. I'm 100% metal as far as gear goes, but I would definitely recommend the Titan Fury or F6. If you have a big arch go for the F6, otherwise the Fury is solid. I'm just tinkering with a Fury and slowly learning the groove; it's a good shirt. I've also used the Rage X and the groove was really easy to learn for me. The bottom line is, with all these new shirts out now a days, you need to bench with the elbows in....which is what you do already, so you shouldn't have a problem.

If you use all metal why reccomend the F6 or fury? Are they just easier to learn as a first shirt?

Sexybeast777
11-14-2006, 04:03 AM
I have the rage by inzer, it's pretty good, just lower the bar in a controlled manner, and be ready to explode with power, don't expect the bench to do all the work for you

TommyBoy
11-14-2006, 06:18 AM
If you use all metal why reccomend the F6 or fury? Are they just easier to learn as a first shirt?
No I don't think they're easier at all. In fact, I think they're some of the toughest shirts to learn the groove. However, Titan shirts are being used by more and more people these days and a lot of people I've talked to have been getting good results.

Sensei
11-14-2006, 07:43 AM
I think you need to decide how much you want to spend and how much effort you can put into learning it. After that, you can look at specific shirts and sizes.

I've only used three kinds of shirts - the Inzer Blast, Inzer EHPHD, and Inzer RageX and each of them was pretty hard to get used to. Some people take to certain shirts more quickly than others, but I've never had an easy time with any of them. The Inzer Blast was cheap but gave me zero lbs. The Inzer EHPHD took a lot of practice, but it was a great shirt (it's more expensive than the RageX and probably won't give you nearly as much). I still haven't gotten anything to touch w. my RageX and was probably too aggressive in my shirt size selection - I'll probably get a size larger sometime soon.

waynedang
11-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I think you need to decide how much you want to spend and how much effort you can put into learning it. After that, you can look at specific shirts and sizes.

I've only used three kinds of shirts - the Inzer Blast, Inzer EHPHD, and Inzer RageX and each of them was pretty hard to get used to. Some people take to certain shirts more quickly than others, but I've never had an easy time with any of them. The Inzer Blast was cheap but gave me zero lbs. The Inzer EHPHD took a lot of practice, but it was a great shirt (it's more expensive than the RageX and probably won't give you nearly as much). I still haven't gotten anything to touch w. my RageX and was probably too aggressive in my shirt size selection - I'll probably get a size larger sometime soon.

How long have you had the Rage X ? If you can get it on it is not to tight. tape a workout in it and maybe wolfe can give you some pointers on touching.

Sidior
11-14-2006, 09:42 AM

Cost is not really an issue for me. I just want a quality shirt. I am willing to put in alot of time to get it to work, I just don't want something out of my league. The only other issue is that for the most part I will be learning this on my own as my training partner has no powerlifting experience let alone knowledge about gear use.

Sensei
11-14-2006, 10:14 AM
How long have you had the Rage X ? If you can get it on it is not to tight. tape a workout in it and maybe wolfe can give you some pointers on touching.
I'm pretty sure that it is too much shirt for me. I feel that I would probably need to two or three board press raw 365+ to use the shirt effectively and my lockout is not up to that yet.

I've had my RageX quite a while, but I haven't had many sessions with it because I don't usually have a training partner. I know there are some things to try with the fit and neck yet - I will try to tape a session sometime soon though and post it.

waynedang
11-14-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that it is too much shirt for me. I feel that I would probably need to two or three board press raw 365+ to use the shirt effectively and my lockout is not up to that yet.

I've had my RageX quite a while, but I haven't had many sessions with it because I don't usually have a training partner. I know there are some things to try with the fit and neck yet - I will try to tape a session sometime soon though and post it.

without training partners it is tuff to learn a shirt. I have dumped the weight so many times but had good spottere to save me. I wear my gear really tight so it takes me a month at least to break it in. The poly stuff will stretch with time. Just give it a chance and hit the boards hard and the banded benches.

Guido
11-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Good choice on going with the F-6. It's a good shirt and easy to learn.

MolonLabe
11-15-2006, 04:44 AM
Inzer blast. I say get this for one reason. I always lifted with a close grip. The first time I benched in this shirt, which was my first shirt ever, I learned to load the shirt and use it to kill a PR.