PDA

View Full Version : RichMcGuire's journal

RichMcGuire
11-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Hello. Thought I'd start a journal to keep me motivated. Ive decresed my weight Im using on all my lifts by quite a bit-the reason is perfect form. Im getting a complete stretch and contraction with a tight squeeze at the top. My program looks like this:

Monday and Friday
Squats 3x10
Bench press 3x10
Wide-grip pulldowns 3x10
Behind the neck barbell press 3x10
Barbell curl 2x10
Dips 2x10
Barbell wrist curls 2x10

Wed
Leg press 3x10
Dumbell bench press 3x10
Deadlift 3x10
Upright barbell row 3x10
Alternate dumbell curl or chins 2x10
skull crushers 2x10
reverse curls 2x10

Im not going to count calories yet-Im just going to eat more and keep eating untill I see a gain in weight. If you think it would help to count, let me know. Im pretty sure I could rip through 3,500 calories so I really need to think of eating as a full time job and maybe hit somewhere between 4-4500.

My height is 5'7 or 5'8..and my weight as of now fluctuates between 150-152. My goal weight is 175. This bulk cycle will not end untill I hit that. Also, I lost about 50 pounds on the benchpress because i quit doing it(muscle memory) and now im concentrating back on it-yet with perfect form..no partial movements..no bouncing..nice, controlled reps. Im concerned with the weight im benching ONLY if its in perfect form.

I will be eating all day for 2 main reasons..

1) Its the only way I can get enough calories throughout a day

2) Studies have shown that eating fewer meals can decrease LBM because of the myoproteins being catabalized. ( I learned that in these forums, thankyou)

Throughout my program, I will be increasing the sets.

RichMcGuire
11-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Food intake:
3 scrambled eggs
2 pieces of toast
Oatmeal

Workout

blueberry poptart
Protein bar
cup of coffee

Boost shake
cup of coffee
blueberry poptart

Subway tuna, 6 inch-pepperjack cheese

Hungry man Turkey meal

Ramen noodles, oriental

3 24 oz beers :( Light!

One more meal to go, undecided as i write this.

Weight today was 153.6 so its increased. however, Im not sure if this will remain constant.

Workout:
Leg press 360 x 10,10,10 Increase weight
Dumbell Benchpress 75'ers x 11, 8, 7 Stay with 75 dumbells
Deadlift 205 x 10, 10 Increase weight
Chinups, closegrip Bodyweight x 10, 9
Mid-workout nausia occured so I stopped here for today.

Rest between sets was roughly 60 seconds to about 2 minutes maximum.

RichMcGuire
11-16-2006, 02:33 PM
forgot to put some leg pics up-Its my weakest part though. I used to always do pushups when I was younger so my upper body is more built than my legs. Thats why I wear a lnoger swimming suit at the beach-so Im hoping to correct this by the summer.

Food intake today:

2 scrambled eggs
oatmeal
1 piece of toast

1 1/2 blueberry poptarts

proteinbar
boost shake

hungry man turkey meal

ramen noodles

1 24oz beer :( but hey, i cut down

boost shake
proteinbar

1 more meal to go-undecided as i write this.

RichMcGuire
11-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Friday - November 17, 2006

Apparently I wasnt doing squats right. Ive always read that it was safer on the knees to only go down far enough until your things were parallel to the floor. after browsing many threads, I learned its better to squat until your ass touches your calves. I tried that today with my legs already very very sore from DOMS. Im very pleased-there was no strain on my knees and I could really feel it deep in the quads. it made me think-doing parallel squats was the same as if I were to do bench presses only half way down so my arms made a right angle. Obviously, thats only a partial movement too. So it was a learning experience. The bench was good too-I always go down until the bar lightly touches my chest. There was a bit on tension to the RC though-but thats the first time-ever. I went very light with the squats to perfect the form and balance of going all the way down.

Squats 95x10 115x9,10
Benchpress 155 x 12, 10, 8 (huge increase with perfect form)
Widegrip pull downs 115 x 10 9 7
Behind the neck press 95x15 115 x 9 , 8
Barbell curl 60 x 12 , 9
Dips BW x 23 , 15
Barbell wrist curls 40 x 15+ 15+

Food intake:

2 whole eggs
2 pieces of toast
4 pieces of bacon

#6 value menu at mcdonalds
double cheeseburger
frys
coffee

Workout

protein bar

Tuna noodle caserole
2 cups of coffee

24 oz beer :(

2 poptarts

1 more left to go yet-undecided as i write this

Its been difficult to let go of the beer completely. Its a lot of fun to crack one open and browse these forums. I think Im addicted. Also, I saw a surprising increase in barbell curls for some reason. I was perhaps overtrained with my old routine or the close grip chin ups really helped to improve general bicep strength.

weight today was 153.5 so its stayed. Thats good considering it usually fluctuates lower once i get a high.

Stumprrp
11-17-2006, 07:10 PM
nice ass man, HA! nice workout

RichMcGuire
11-17-2006, 07:12 PM
lmao-well its a muscle too, right? ;) Thx also-I really didnt want to hit the weights today but once I got there, it was all good. I never realized how taxing doing only compound movements was.

HeavyBomber
11-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Looks like you're doing well. You have a real good base. Glutes are primary to real size and strength.

RichMcGuire
11-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Saturday, Novemeber 19, 2006

Food intake:

2 1/2 eggs
2 pieces of toast
4 pieces of bacon

Boost shake
Protein bar

3 beers :( Was the Mich vc OSU game!!

Oatmeal

2 tablespoons of peanut butter

1 apple with 2 tablespoons peanut butter

1 glass of milk with 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter

Big plate of tuna noodle caserole
glass of milk

1 more meal undecided as I write this

RichMcGuire
11-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Forgot what I ate yesterday but my bodyweight was 154.6 so its improved!!

Workout was great too.

Squats 3 x 135 - 8, 7 , 8
Benchpress 3 x 165 - 12, 9 , 8
Widegrip latpulldowns 3 x 115 - 13 , 10 , 9
Behind the neck press 3 x 115 - 12 , 10 , 8
Barbell curl 2 x 65 - 12 (-20 second rest, then 6 reps)
Dips Bodyweight x 2 - 24, 17

So, I will already be increasing 20 lbs on the bench after only a few workouts and my other movements are gonig up as well. The advice on these forums has been great-Ive never been 155 before.

As I write this, today I ate:
2 eggs
1 piece of toast
co-co wheats

boost shake
protein bar

2 tbs peanut butter

2 tbs peanut butter

2 double cheeseburger meal at McDonalds

Hungry man turkey dinner

So, I will most likely have another 2 tbs of peanut butter and maybe 2 poptarts or my other hungry man tv dinner. We shall see. Its hard to think about food right now-im really full. But it doesnt matter. I want the calories. If I fail to meet my cals for the day, Im determined enough to sit there and drink 6 glasses of milk in a row to make up for it.

RichMcGuire
11-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Another great day today:

Food intake:

co-co wheats
2 eggs
1 piece of toast

double fishsandwhich meal at mcdonalds
1 fry

boost shake
protein bar

6 tbsp peanut butter
blueberry yogurt
glass of milk

2 tbsp peabut butter
glass of milk
ramen noodles

Training:

leg press 3 x 410 - 12, 8, 8
Dumbell benchpress 3 x 80's - 7, 6 , 6
deadlift, no belt 215 x 2 - 11 , 8
almost puked

chinup 2 x BW - 12 , 8
didnt do skull crushers because i was about to puke again.

Great workout-all the weights went up. Also, my bodyweight has gone up to 155.8. Thats a lot of gain in only a couple of weeks. I was very happy to see that on the scale!

RichMcGuire
11-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Update-
think you can tell a difference somewhat..in the face and bicep.

In these pics compared to the last ones. Likin the results.

11-23-2006, 10:56 PM
nice trainINg!!!! but I think you need A LOT more protein in your diet

RichMcGuire
11-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Oatmeal mixed with a scoop of protein mix
Boost shake
2 tbsp peanut butter

Sliced potatoe seasoned with garlic and pepper, fried in butter
Bowl of chicken noodle soup
1 cup of coffee
4 tbsp of peanut butter

Double cheeseburger meal at McDonalds
1 fry
1 cup of coffee

3 mini hotdog rolls with cheese
1 piece of pumpkin pie
1 beer

Boost shake

Chicken pot pie
2 tbsp peabut butter
1 beer

1 beer

1 more meal to go as i write this..im at about 3800 calories..so 1 more should push me into the 4k range.

RichMcGuire
11-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Potpie
2 tbsp peanutbutter
Boost shake

Hungry man turkey meal XXL
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 beers

2 tbsp peanut butter
1cup of coffee

2 poptarts
2 tbsp peanut butter

4 beers

9 pizza rolls

2 tbsp peanut butter

Great today- 4,500 + calories :D

mickyjune26
11-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Your body has a good foundation. What do you want your bf % to be by the time you add on the 25 pounds?
You are getting the calories in. You may want to start slowly working in healthy fats and phasing out unhealthy fats. There are great articles in WBBs article section, if you would like reference docs.

Great lifts. Know what you mean on the pukin.

RichMcGuire
11-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Hmm bodyfat %? Well, I started with 10%..so 25 lbs later..id expect maybe 13%? Im not too sure. Im getting the calories in and healthy fats with peanut butter but at the same time i still got plenty of bad ones. I should do some mroe research. I have a hard time getting enough calories without getting bad fats.

Today:

2 poptarts
boost shake
2 tbsp peanut butter

Boost shake
4 tbsp peanut butter

2 doublecheeseburger meal at mcdonalds
1 fry
1 coffee

1 extra large pizza lunchable

3 glasses of wine

At about 3,000 calories now so im going to need to eat another meal tnoight. Undecided as i write this. Tomorrow is a lift day-im way excited. Im amazed how helpful peanut butter is..im adding about 1,000 calories i normally wouldnt eat just by adding a couple tbsp after my meals.

RichMcGuire
11-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Man, I was pissed today. I left my workout planner at school and its gone. I had to get new record sheets and all that..what a pain in the ass...grr..
But the good news is, I weighed in at 158.5 today.. so 3 lbs heavier than my last weigh in..i hope thats not too much at once.

Todays workout was:

Squat 3 x 135 - 10, 9 , 8
Benchpress 3 x 175 - 10, 8, 7
Lat pull down 3 x 120 - 12, 10, 8
Shoulder press 3 x 115 - 10, 9 , 8
Barbell curl 3 x 70 - 10, 7
Dips Bodyweight x 2 - 22,15

It was weird today. Dips were actually a little harder because I gained weight. So, I saw a reduction in reps, lol.

Food intake was:

Oatmeal

Boost shake

2 poptarts

3 tablespoons peanut butter

Large Mcdonalds double cheeseburger meal
large fry
coffee

Ramen noodles
2 glasses of milk
4 tbsp peanut butter

So, i was about 800 calories off of 4,000 today. I took a pretty big nap. Im thinking about guzzling down 2 more glasses of milk and 2 tbsp of peanut butter real quick before i go to bed.

Do you think my bulking is too quick?

11-29-2006, 02:15 AM
not to quick you might just want to clean it up a bit - i see you love yourself some mcdonalds

RichMcGuire
11-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Yea McDonalds has been an easy way to get 1,000+ calories. I probably should start cleaning up though. As i said in my post, i still have the same six pack when i flex like usual so im hoping this is muscle im gaining. But as far as general health goes, theres way too many saturated fats from mcdonalds, lol. So, im taking your guy's advice about preparing food on sundays. Plus with that job, i have to. I didnt record what i ate last night because i fell asleep and i cant remember what i ate for the life of me..but i did write the calories down..it was 3070. so a bit off of what i wanted but i still weighed in a pound heavier. anyways, about today...

For my workouts on wed, I decided to scrap the leg press. I think it was putting alot of pressure on my lower back from arching and my knees as well. Plus, it was taking away from my deadlift. I might decide to throw some lunges in..not sure yet.

Workout:

Dumbell benchpress: 3 x 80's - 8 , 7 , 6
Deadlift: 2 x 225 - 10, 8
Chinup 1 x bodyweight - 13
Supersetted with
Dips 1 x 13 (stopped because i felt sick..supersetting was a bad idea after mcdonalds)

Im able to add a third set to deadlifts now as well. I might look into buying some straps because i struggle with holding on to the bar sometimes because my hands are so sweaty. Ive always had warm hands..But i get to warm the girls up when its cold! ;)

Diet today was:

Boost shake
2 poptarts

8 tbsp peanut butter

large mcdonalds meal of 2 cheeseburgers
large fry
large coffee

Half an arby's sandwhich (cheddar cheese)
4 cups of coffee

Bowl of chicken and dumplings..not sure about the cals here..there was chicken juice..mushrooms..peas..chicken..and the dough..so im guessing arond 500..it sure was tasty though!

This puts me at about 3,000. Later tonight i have a mega pizza lunchable with 510 calories in it..and then im going to finish it off before sleep with a blueberry yogurt and 2 glasses of milk. So, with that in mind, I'll land my 4,000.

Todays weigh in was 159.5. Very, very close to 160..I really wanna see the scale read that! Im way excited. 175 seems more reachable now..before i came to these forums..it seemed impossible..im 5'7 so its pretty heavy for my height. But with the advice ive gotten from these forums, ive gone way past my expectations. It seems as though ive wasted a lot of time reading all those iron mans..and flex's..

11-30-2006, 12:37 AM
do you use fitday or somthing to track your calories im betting thats more than 4000 calories

RichMcGuire
11-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Nope. I use the back of the box :P The only thing i was unsure about that day was the chicken and dumplings. Other than that, its all on the back of the packages. But that chicken and dumplings coulda been more than 500. I tried using fitday..im not sure why, but, i had some trouble. I couldnt find specific things i was looking for like 2 whole eggs, bacon, toast as a meal ect. Maybe I should give it another try? I signed up for it and everything.

11-30-2006, 05:15 PM
dont bother looking for whole meals just look for each individual item seperatly

Stumprrp
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
DIRTY bulking, hell yeah!

RichMcGuire
11-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Yea, lol..dirty bulking alright. It should clean up a bit when i have to plan my crap on sundays because of my job/college together. Im gonna have to take another look at fitday. Im very excited tomorrow..its fridays workout! Theres suppose to be a snow storm here in michigan tonight though..and my little cavalier might have a hard time getting to my college's gym..but screw it-im gonna get there one way or another. I should be back to benching 225 for reps here pretty quick-and i am in a bit of hurry. Not in a negative way. also, my last weigh in was 159.5 so im hoping i break the 160 cap. Excited enough to take a picture of the scale i use, haha. (i wont really ;) ) Didnt eat any mcdonalds today..savin money for my date saturday..weird story actually if anyone cares:

I went to great clips in meijer..they had a sale and it was my first time there...the stylist that cut my hair seemed nice..well..i left and went home after my haircut and when i checked my myspace, she had found me on there and asked me on a date..it was weird, but very cool at the same time. So in a way, i owe her for a bit of the cleanliness of todays diet (not that it was perfect or anything) The funny thing is, she did a crappy job on my hair but i had to tell her it was great..she might know i dont like it when i wear a hat on my date!

But anyways, here it is:

Carnation shake (milk mixed with the packet)

3 22 oz beers before class

1 boost shake
1 large bagel
2 poptarts
1 cup of coffee

2 pieces of pizza
glass of milk
2 tbsp peanut butter

Ramen noodles
blue berry yogurt
Cup of coffee
Carnation shake

2 tbsp peanut butter

well, this puts me at 3250 calories..so about 800 off..Im NOT hungry in the elast bit..but it doesnt matter..im gonna pack it down. Sometimes i have trouble swalloing the food without gagging when im really full..whats helped me is to just chew my spoon fulls of peanut butter and wash it down with water as if i were taking a pill. I dont gag that way..i dont even feel like i ate when i do. Im just waiting for the time i try to swallow peanut butter without my water chaser and i puke it up..i dont want it to scar me from peanut butter..i imagine it would be NASTY..not that anyone wants to hear hat but..its my journal, so :P

p.s
I really think this online journal has been of great help. I know ppl will see it and make comments..so its like motivation there..i can slack in front of myself..but i really dont wanna slack in front of you guys..its almost like peer pressure and thats great!

RichMcGuire
12-01-2006, 08:16 PM
What a pleasing day today..Im lucky-i made it to my gym even though there was a bunch of snow.

Also, apparently, my gf read my post on this journal so she found out I had a date tomorrow..oops! So it looks like Im single again.

I weighed in today at 161.5!! I was very excited about that.

Training:

Squat: 135 x 3 - 11,10,9
Bench press: 185 x 3 - 9,7,5
Pulldown: 125 x 3 - 11,9,8
Shoulder press: 125 x 3 - 9,7,7
Barbell curl: 70 x 2 - 12,7
Dips: Bodyweight x 2 - 21,16

Ive never curled so much..ever..so thats awsome for me. Bench is gettin there too..soon I'll be surpassing what i used to be i hope. I think the extra weight is whats helping my barbell curls..i used to work very hard on them and got very little progress.

Diet today:

3 pieces of pizza
1 glass of milk

1 carnation shake

2 Philly steak and cheese sandwhiches
4 servings of mashed potatoes

6 tbsp peanut butter
1 blueberry yogurt
Boost shake

That puts me at 2,900 calories if i calculated the pizza right..i estimated about 350 calories for 3 pieces. The rest is added exactly. So it looks like in a little bit here i will down some ramen noodles with 2 poptarts and hit about 3,700 or so.

12-01-2006, 08:37 PM
nice work on those curls!!! and of course the exrta food will help with the gains

RichMcGuire
12-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Okay, I took 1 week off of training for my joints. I reduced my calories by a little also..3,000 vs the targeted 4,000 because i wasnt lifting. tomorrow Im back in action. The results are getting there-Heres some updated pics! Lemme know what you think! 10 more lbs to go!!

RichMcGuire
12-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Exams blow.

RichMcGuire
12-14-2006, 11:35 PM
As in the previous updated pics, and as well in these-i can see now what other members have said..your body has a way of balancing itself. Ive noticed improvements in most everything but my chest..(my best part) I believe this is because i built my chest with pushups..i did 1,000 a night in an hour..so its always been my best part. Ive been hitting the weights hard (except for this last week and a half bc of exams) and its the part thats lagging behind..it feels like everything else is sort of "catching up." I hope to get past that though because its a bit frusterating ;)

RichMcGuire
12-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Dont remember what i ate today... big cat fish meal dinner with mashed potatoes....lots of peanut butter...lol.

I over slept so i couldnt get my workout in today..so instead, i just did 500 pushups. I was gonna do 1,000 like i used to, but i didnt wanna overtrain.

wnt2gitswoll
01-14-2007, 12:50 PM
whats ur bf and PR's?

RichMcGuire
01-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Im not sure about PR's as I havent tested those for about 4 years now. And BF..Im guessing its pretty low since I have a six pack when flexed but Im not entirely sure what it would be. Is there an inexpensive way to test that out? The last time it was measure about 7 months ago, it was 10.1%. But this was with use of the college equipment that ran about 2,000 bucks.

Well, I took about a month off of training because of exams and the college was closed in between semesters. My lifts have stayed pretty close to the same and surprisngly, my bodyweight has also stayed the same which makes me very happy. Im changing my program and hitting it again. This semester, Im getting certified to be a life guard again so its even more motivation. Ruffian has provided me with an exceptional workout program that I have been using for a week. She was very kind to take some time out of her hands to make me it. My calorie goal is still the same..4,000 if i can.

RichMcGuire
01-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Workout:

Friday

Deadlift 225 x 5,5,5,5,5,
Closegrip Benchpress 135 x 8,8,6
Rear shoulder raise 20 x 10,8
Shoulder press 95 x 6,4
Hammer curls 25 x 10,10,9

Diet:

Garlic creamy shell things
glass of milk

Double cheesburger meal
large fry
large coffee
Fish filet sandwhich

6 miller lite beers

catfish
mashed potatoes

6 tbsp peanut butter

Weight in today was 161.8 and min it was 159.5 so there was already an increase starting back up again.

Had some personal trouble with the deadlift again today. For some reason, when I stand up with the bar, it can crush my testicles. So, Ive been trying to wear really loose pants so I can sort of rest it over the bar.

Also today, it was great-I met my friend and this kid that seriously looked just like harry potter was there. Same glasses..hair style..about his height..I mean exact. Well, anyways, Harry potter was explaining about the inner chest, outer chest, upper and lower to my friend. I didnt bother correcting him but I did make my friend aware that Harry potter was way off.

RichMcGuire
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Sat

Diet:

2 cheeseburgers
1 large fry
1/2 fish sandwhich
1 piece of pepperoni pizza
1 large coffee

8 tbsp peanut butter
2 glasses of milk

7 Reisens

1 blueberry yogurt
1 glass of milk

This puts me at about 3325 calories. So I have 1 more meal to go to hit my 4000..but Im keeping this last meal healthy because of the dirty bulk in the beginning of my day. But thank goodness for peanut butter..Its been a quick way to snack on some calories.

speak
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
nice progress man! how are you eating all those cheesburgers and fries and still staying so lean?

RichMcGuire
01-23-2007, 12:13 PM
nice progress man! how are you eating all those cheesburgers and fries and still staying so lean?

Because, its all in the manipulation of calories. Eating fat wont really make you fat.. But the extra energy calories in fat could. Im just careful. I make sure I stay at 3600-4000 calories. I literally need that much because of my metabolism

RichMcGuire
01-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I went to my swimming class..and I seriously looked like, WAY better than all but 1 guy. I even had a couple guys up to me and ask if I took a proetin supplement. I was very pleased people noticed my hard training efforts in the gym. Well, we started to do swim runs in each lane. The first time we got to the end of the lane, I easily beat everyone there...the 2nd , 3rd, and so on, people were waiting for me to get across..and that was embarrassing..I just was struggling bad. So eventually, I had to quick get out of the water, and go to the bathroom and I puked .. a lot. (the guy that had my similar body type was already in there puking) Anyways, After I recovered and was embarrassed, I went back and got into the water. I started to swim across with everyone else again and in the middle of the lane, I got my first ever cramp..i grabbed my calf and the muscle was literally bulging uot the side. It was a horrible pain and no one asked if i was okay..so i was just standing in the middle of the lane holding myself. I managed to climb my way back to the other side and when i got out, i had to use my pullup str to get out because i couldnt move my leg. My toes were fixed into a spread position and i couldnt move them or walk. I had to hop to the bench and still no one asked if i was okay. My calf still hurts badly and im limping so i think i pulled it..next time i wont workout before my swim class. So i got hime and ate and developed a huge hedache and basically passed out until morning.

Was an awful day of training because of that..but the numbers are,

Squat 135 - 5 x 5
Hack squat 90 - 3 x 7,6,6
Leg curls 110 - 2 x 8

I may end up dropping my swimming class because I dont want my lfits to suffer either..and clearly, it will burn more calories I dont want to burn.

Not sure what I ate yesterday..was a big blur.

RichMcGuire
01-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Did some research. Apparently fat floats..so having a low body fat % with higher muscle mass actually makes you work much harder to swim.. a whale is used as an example.. and while this makes me feel a little better, the whole ordeal was very humiliating, lol.

RichMcGuire
01-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Forgot what I ate yesterday but...

Workout

Benchpress 185 x 5,5,5,5,5
Incline DB press 55 x 8,8,8
Bentover row 60 x 8,8,8
Chinup BW x 10,7
Lat pulldown 110 x 10

Time to increase every exercise movement..so thats a plus for sure!!!

Weigh in that day was 163.6

Today I ate..

a protein bar

An entire pepporoni pizza from little ceazars

6 millier lites

Chicken co don blu*
4 servings of mashed potatoes

Got some more eating to go tonight..waitin for the beer munchies to kick in.

RichMcGuire
01-25-2007, 07:36 PM
This means I have about 12 more lbs to go for this target range.

RichMcGuire
01-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Workout:

Deadlift 235 x 5,5,5,5,5
Closegrip bench press 145 x 8,8,7 1/2
Reverse shoulder raise 20 x 10,10
Shoulder press 95 x 8,7
Hammercurls 30 x 10

Diet:

Veggie soup
4 tbsp peanut butter
glass o milk

2 cheeseburgers
2 fish sandwhiches
1 fry
1 cup of coffee

12 miller lite beers

3 tv turkey dinners
4 cheese stivks

At about 4,500 calories for tonight.

RichMcGuire
01-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Did some measurments today.

Weight 163.4
1/28/07

Waist - 33
Chest - 39 1/2
Quads - 21
Arms - 14
Ass - 38

I wish I would have done this before i bulked, but i have 12 more lbs to add and then I will remeasure :)

Built
01-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Rich - are you naked in those shots?

;)

You look great - nice and thick. Really good shape through the pecs, and visible abs while you're well into your bulk - you're putting on really good weight! Nice work.

(beers must be working for you)

RichMcGuire
01-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Thankyou Built. And naked? Maybe... ;) Is it that obvious? hehe. Thx for the feedback.. I think it made my entire week...no better yet, my month!

RichMcGuire
01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Im getting lazy..I cant remember what I ate yesterday..I just know it was in the 3k range. Workout YESTERDAY was:

Squats 145 x 5,5,5,5,5
Hack Squats 90 x 8,8,8
Leg curls 115 x 8,8,8
Weighted ab work with a 25 lb dumbell 25 x 10,11,12,15 (on a decline bench)

My ass and hamstrings are killing me. quads are mediocre..Im still learning form on squats so the fatigue from them is minimal. But Im adding 10 lbs every week..might need to start doin 20 though because Im adding 10 lbs a week to the bench press and I actually take those sets to almost-failure.

After this week I will be moving to BGB. The routine I used was awsome..and it was a perfect stepping stone to BGB.

Food intake TODAY so far has been.

bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit 440
hashbrown 140
coffee

KFC potato bowl 720
2 1/2 kfc ultimate snackers 700
1 mashed potatoes / gravy 140

Add in like 6 coffees..lol. See why Im a drinker sometimes? I do everything in excess!

Anyways, this puts me in the 2.2k range. In a bit Im gonig to have a blueberry yogurt (250) with a glass of milk (120).

After this I dont know what to do.. its 8 pm and I need to get up at 5 am..so Im gonna have to pack something big down before sleep. Althought, sometimes Ive been getting a heavy / light day of calories and it has been working. Heavy obviously when I train.

RichMcGuire
01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
oh yea, and weigh in YESTERDAY was 164.2!

RichMcGuire
02-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Fell asleep so I didnt eat much yesterday but training was..

Benchpress 210 x 5,5
Incline dumbell press 60's x 8, 8
Bent over row 105 x 8,8
Chinups bw x 10++ (stopped because its active recovery)

You may notice I did fewer sets this day. Its because Im using the rest of the week as an active recovery phase. Tomorrow will be the same.. mainly being..im gonig into BGB. I am going to benching and deadlifting on monday so I dont want to over tax myself NOW. Plus, Im sure my body will appreciate the back off..especially my joints ;)

Weigh in was 164.7

RichMcGuire
02-01-2007, 03:11 PM
In the beginning, I made a plan to update pics once I got to 165.. (about 2/3 there) So here they are.. These are the same exact poses before to easily compare.

These are to be compared the the original pics I posted back on page 1 during november.

RichMcGuire
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
^^

The rest are above this thread :P

RichMcGuire
02-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Diet:

Protein shake
Blue berry yogurt

2 coffees

McDonalds meal of:
1 fry
2 cheeseburgers
1 double fish sandwhich

1 bowl of veggie soup

some coffee

9 beers

American classic cheese burger/cheese fry hungry man meal

classic fried chixken hungry man meal

Boneless fried chicken meal

Total calories today was: 5580 .. a bit high..should make up for some other days!!

RichMcGuire
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Friday.. lifting was the same as last friday..same weights used but only 2 sets.. again, this is in prep for BGB.

Weigh in today was 165.8!

pepper
02-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Looking good, Rich!

RichMcGuire
02-05-2007, 09:35 PM
First day of BGB! It was great.

Deadlift 245 x 5,5,5,4,2 (couldnt hold onto bar)
Bentover rows 90 x 8,8,8
Benchpress 205 x 5,5,5,5,5
Incline dumbell press 60's x 8, then 65's x 8,8
Seated calf raises 65 x 20 then 90 x 20
Weighted decline situps 30 lb weight x 12,12,12

Diet today was

3 cookies
glass of milk

Russ;s lake perch dinner
3 mashed potatoes and gravy

1 large piece of pizza

50 gram slam protein drink

large popcorn
large soda-pop

KFC potato bowl
glass of milk

2 tbsp peanut butter
glass of milk

I used a machine to calculate my target BMI.. its 141 lbs to 155 lbs so it said i was 166 lbs and 11 over .. it gave me a suggestion on how to LOSE weight.. that made my day!

RichMcGuire
02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Diet was:

lota coffee
Bag of prezsels **

Protein drink

2 cheeseburgers
large fry
fish sandwhich
1 cup of coffee

6 tbsp peanut butter
2 glasses of milk

Box of pizza bagels
cup of coffee

At 3260 calories so far so before bed I will probably down 2 more tbsp of peanut butter with a glass of milk.

Training:

Squat 155 x 5,5,5,5,5
Leg press (machine) 270 x 8,8,8 (switch to the real leg press now - mental note)
Seated alternate dumbell curls 35 x 5,5,5,5,5
Hammer curls 25 x 12,9,8

Weigh in today was 165.5 but this time with no breakfast.

RichMcGuire
02-06-2007, 09:20 PM
^^

+250 cal blueberry yogurt
2 tbsp peanut butter
Glass of milk

Total calories - 3830

RichMcGuire
02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Diet:

Add lota coffee somewhere here

Double cheeseburger
Fish sandwhich
1 large fry
1 large coffee

1 whole pepperoni pizza
1 glass of milk

4 tbsp peanut butter
1 coffee

1 glass of milk

250 calorie blueberry yogurt
1 glass of milk

Total calories for today: 3750

RichMcGuire
02-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Getting really close to my initial goal - althought i will probably go on.. heres a quick before and after so far.

The first one is my before. The second one is my after.

RichMcGuire
02-13-2007, 09:05 PM
YESTERDAYS workout.
Deadlifts 245 x 5,5,5,5,5 ---- Superset with Bentover rows 100 x 8,8,8

Benchpress 215 x 5 then 205 x 5,5,5,5
Incline dumbell press 70x6 then 65 x 8,7

Weigh in was 169 even. I bought some sweet gold glvoes that work amazingly well for grip so my deadlift is doing better in that department.

TODAYS workout,

Full squat 165 x 5,5,5,5,5
Front squat (tryin it out) 65 x 8 then 95 x 8
Lying leg curls 90 x 20,20,20
Seated alternate dumbell curls 40 x 5,5,5,5,5
Hammer curls 25 x 12,12,12

I donno.. I didnt really get the groove of the front squats. It hurt my shoulders more than anything. So what I think we might do is sub in step ups holding a dumbell.

Im weighing in now just in my workout gear so it was 166. Im tired of trasfering all my change, papers, cell phone and all my crap from jeans to jeans so i have accurate weigh ins. So i said screw that crap, and starting from 166 again ;)

RichMcGuire
02-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Todays workout:

Chins 20 lb bag 5,5,5,5,5
Machine rows 130 x 8, 150 x 8,8
Bent over side alterals 20 x 10,8 (switching to machine)
Military press 115 x 5,5,5,5,5 SUPERSETTED with Side laterals 12 x 8,8,8
Standing calf raises 70 x 10 80 x 10 90 x 10
Weighted decline crunches 40 lb dumbell x 12,12,12

Diet:

3 prezel/cheese snackers

Bagel

4 cheese olive burgers with mayo (i made from mcdonalds)
Medium fry

Protein shake (1320 calories)

So far im at 4150 calories.

Tofer has given me a recipe for a pretty high calorie shake. Its a little thick and i dont want it to spoil my appettite so im planning on downing one before bed each night to get an extra 1300+ calories. Who knows, maybe I will perfect it eventually so i can drink one in the morning too.

Weighed in at 166 again. This is probably because when I was 166 before, I hadnt taken a piss yet. It amazes me how much water can fluctuate your weight. By the end of my workout, i was 166.7 from drinking water.

So anyways, 9 lbs to go now. I should be there soon with the help of Tofer's shake idea.

RichMcGuire
02-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Workout:

Romanian Deadlifts 155 x 5,5,5,5,5
Walking lunges 30's x 20,20,20
Close Grip Bench Press 165 x 5,5,5,5,5
Cable pressdowns 72x12, 84x12, 96x12

Time to increase everything. Im excited about that..well, almost.. the walking lunges are a pain.. and upping my weight there is gonna be fun..to say the least..

Diet:

Bagel

4 cheese olive burgers with mayo (i made from mcdonalds)
1 large fry

Glass of milk
pizza luncheable
Blue berry yogurt

1320 calorie shake

Total for today was 4840 calories.

Weigh in with just my workout clothes was 167 and it fluctuated a little higher after my workout (from drinking water).

Those shakes are starting to taste a little better..but wow, they are filling at first.. but they quickly leave you hungry again..its great. I will never miss my calories again.

I cant wait for mondays workout..its my favoirte.. Deadlifts and Benching!!

EDIT: Gonna be eating some Ramen noodles too - so that will put me over 5,000 calories :)

Stumprrp
02-16-2007, 09:54 PM
WOOT for dirty bulking! haha nice workouts

Built
02-18-2007, 01:53 AM
5000 calories.

<weeps>

RichMcGuire
02-18-2007, 11:45 AM
WOOT for dirty bulking! haha nice workouts

Lol, yea, I use the excuse that I dont have time to do this cleanly.

5000 calories.

<weeps>

Lol, you must be on a cut? Dont feel bad, I hate eating this much. Im actually excited to go on a cut when the time comes.

Well, last night Sat, I forgot what I ate.. but I saved the totals in my cell phone and it equated to about 4,500 cals.

RichMcGuire
02-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Monday:

Forgot what I ate.. lota crap.

Workout:

Deadlifts 255 x 5,5,5,5,5 SUPERSETTED with Bentover rows 100 x 8,8,8
Benchpress 215 x 5,5,5,5,5
Incline Dumbell press 70's x 7 then 65's x 8,8
Weighted Decline crunches 45 x 12,12,12

Weighed in at about 167 still. On the bright side, I finnally get to rep 2 45's on each side of the abr when I bench and all my other lifts are increasing too.

Stumprrp
02-20-2007, 04:52 PM
its ok, i enjoyed my chicken teriaki wrap with a side of fries for lunch, and my grease chicken marsalla for dinner, ill dive in again shortly lol

RichMcGuire
02-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Diet:

Tofer shake (1320)

Double cheeseburger
fish sandwhich
large fry
coffee

Tofer shake (1320)

Tofer shake (1320)

Add cups of coffee randomly in there somewhere.

Total calories were: 5460

Workout:

Full squats: 175 x 5,5,5,5,5
Leg extension 110 x 8 then 120 x 8
Leg curls 95 x 20,20,20
Seated alternate dumbell curls 45's x 5,5,5,4,4
Hammer curls 25's x 12,12,17 (my 30's were fricken taken)

So, overall, it was good. Im still only adding 10 lbs a week to squats. I can do more but I dont want to hurt myself. I might as well be consistant.

These shakes are making calories great. My body is not used to this many calories..thats for sure.. more bathroom visists than normal, haha ;)

RichMcGuire
02-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Gained almost an inch on my arms and an inch on my chest since i last measured! (like 3 weeks ago?) That was awsome to see. I just did this quickly without a shirt.. not naked like last time and every single measurement.

Anyways:

Diet today:

2 cheeseburgers
1 fish sandwhich
1 large fry
1 cup of coffee

Tofer shake (1320)

Tofer shake (1320)

blueberry yogurt
glass of milk

Add a lot of coffee in there.

Total calories: 4680

RichMcGuire
02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, Im at 171 now so I figured Id add my pics. I basically made it to my goal give or take a few pounds. I started this at 146 lbs .. now Im at 170-171. I think theres been quite a big difference overall. I may need to add another 10 lbs for my chest to balance.. It seems to like to build up on the lower regions first.

Start

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture115.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture46.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture259.jpg

VS

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture428.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture427.jpg

Start

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture93.jpg

VS

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture433.jpg

Start

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture266.jpg

VS

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture402.jpg

Start

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture103.jpg

VS

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture430.jpg

Start

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture79.jpg

VS

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/RichMcGuire/Picture419.jpg

In the last pic, I got my brows waxed, grew out the facial hair, and got a little tan to polish it off..but I think it looks much better! Lemme know what you guys think :)

HeavyBomber
02-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I like the tat on your left arm. I'm thinking of getting one just like that. Nice lifting too.

RichMcGuire
02-23-2007, 08:56 PM
I like the tat on your left arm. I'm thinking of getting one just like that. Nice lifting too.

Sweet - its always a good ice breaker at the bar.

Built
02-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Agreed on the tat. The facial grooming works too.

You've put on some nice size! Nice work. :)

RichMcGuire
02-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Agreed on the tat. The facial grooming works too.

You've put on some nice size! Nice work. :)

Thx! Really appreciate it. I like the facial hair much more with the brows waxed. In my before pic ,I looked like a little boy! I cant believe I let myself out of the house like that!

HeavyBomber
02-23-2007, 09:59 PM
LOL, waxing the eyebrows dude. lol Don't look bad actually.

RichMcGuire
02-23-2007, 10:02 PM
LOL, waxing the eyebrows dude. lol Don't look bad actually.

Lol, yea, well, look at the before pic, then the after. Its a huge cosmetic difference. I was a little sketchy of doing it at first.. mainly because it seemed femanine... but, oh well, no one has to know but you guys ;) Its not like I tell girls I meet that I do it, lol. But I think more people should do it.

RichMcGuire
02-24-2007, 03:37 PM
After monitoring my progress, Ive gained very little fat on my abs. I mean minute. Since I was at 9-10% bodyfat (no diea what im at now) Ive had trouble with abs. I can get a 6 pack standing up flexing, but it vanishes when I sit down. So Im guessing I'd need to drop down to around 5-6% bodyfat to get the desired midection. Its weird-I dont get fat anywhere else on my body. So I guess its a plus and a minus.

So for me, Im going to continue the bulk because a minute increase of bodyfat on the abs is hardly worth a reason to cut if its a problem area (along with upper chest region) to begin with.

My new plan now is to bulk up to 185-190 and then cut back down to 175, depending on the fat gain. If its not much at all again, I could always try my best to bulk to 200 and cut down to 185. We'll see how it goes. Its getting harder to gain weight.

RichMcGuire
02-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Training:

Deadlifts 265 x 5,5,5,5,5 SUPERSETTED with Bent over rows 110 x 8,8,8
Flat barbell benchpress 225 x 5, then 215 x 5,5,5,5
Incline Dumbell press 70's x 8,8, 6
Macine crunches 60 x 12 then 80 x 12

Diet:

4 plain cheeses burgers ( I added 20 olives and 4 tbsp of mayo)
1 large fry
1 large coffee

Beef sirloin and noodles TV dinner

mega pizza lunchable

Tofer shake (1320)

Add some coffee in there somewhere.

Total calories as of now: 4610

RichMcGuire
03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Took some time off of the journal..but I have been working out still of course ;)

Played some heavy, heavy vball.. it was insane.. So I was so sore I reduced mondays workout.

Deadlift 285 x 5,5
Benchpress 235 x 5,5
Incline Dumbell press 75's x 8,8

Stumprrp
03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
great work rich

TommyBoy
03-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Diet:

1 large fry
1 large coffee

mega pizza lunchable

Tofer shake (1320)

Awesome!!!! 2 thumbs up from me!!!!

Stumprrp
03-29-2007, 06:03 PM
i know lol

RichMcGuire
03-30-2007, 06:47 PM
SLDL 205 x 5,5,5,5,5
Closegrip Benchpress 195 x 5,5,5,5,5
Cable pressdown 120 x 12,12,12

Today was with less rest. About 60 seconds between sets.

Today was fun. My workout partner stuggled and used less weight. Now, I know, I still motivate my partner..but secretly, I smirk inside. We are competitive and that drive keeps us throwing up the weights ;)

HeavyBomber
03-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Training:

Deadlifts 265 x 5,5,5,5,5 SUPERSETTED with Bent over rows 110 x 8,8,8
Flat barbell benchpress 225 x 5, then 215 x 5,5,5,5
Incline Dumbell press 70's x 8,8, 6
Macine crunches 60 x 12 then 80 x 12

Diet:

1 large fry
1 large coffee

mega pizza lunchable

Tofer shake (1320)

Normally I wouldn't quote an entire post like this but...
Dude this is just awesome! lol

RichMcGuire
03-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Awesome!!!! 2 thumbs up from me!!!!

i know lol

Normally I wouldn't quote an entire post like this but...
Dude this is just awesome! lol

Lol, Dirty bulkin at its best I guess. Easiest way for me to get my calories!

RichMcGuire
03-31-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking of adding some more emphasis on my chest. It's easily my best part. So, everything else is sort of catching up because the body grows as a whole. So, for me, I think the answer is flies of some sort after heavy presses. This direct extra stimulation may provide enough stimulus that I need to keep my chest as my strongest part. So, we will see.

Ive kept my body weight at about 168-170 now. But at the same time, my strength has kept increasing pretty rapidly. Enough to where when I wrestle with my girlfriend or her friends, I have to be careful to not hurt them ;) I think I'd give credit most to the deadlift for that. Its helped me in all aspects of life..especially vollyball! The explosiveness I can get from my glutes, hamstrings, and quads for that sport has improved dramatically. And I LOVE vball!

When I started training, the benchpress was easily my favorite movement. But since Ive been lifting seriously again, I can easily say, its the deadlift. I bench 235 in reps of 5 and I deadlift 295 in reps of 5.. so Im still working on it. But the deadlift has easily made the biggest difference in my overall body composition..especially my traps!

Sure, youll see people squat..But they dont even go parallel! Its almost like a calf raise. But none the less, they squat. But really, I never see people deadlift. If I could only do 1 movement, ever, it would be to deadlift.

But anyways, enough of my ramble. I was sort of lonely so I figured I'd update my journal ;)

Levantar
04-01-2007, 01:30 AM
It's nice to see how fast your bench has gone up since november. I think you said you used to lift 4 years previous though. I basically just started last year in October. Hopefully I can reach 225 x 5 very soon. My new routine has not asked me to try this yet but soon hopefully.

Great job on the strength gains. BTW, I also love the deadlift!

Stumprrp
04-01-2007, 07:36 AM
rich nothing wrong with a dirty bulk as long as its not for to long and your health is still in check, im just as bad if you call a 1/2 lb burger from friendlys at 11PM healthy, lol.

RichMcGuire
04-01-2007, 09:47 AM
It's nice to see how fast your bench has gone up since november. I think you said you used to lift 4 years previous though. I basically just started last year in October. Hopefully I can reach 225 x 5 very soon. My new routine has not asked me to try this yet but soon hopefully.

Great job on the strength gains. BTW, I also love the deadlift!

Yea Ive lifted before, but my strength gains were just as rapid then. What are you benching now? I'd like to work on some of the other lifts as well. Its bad when Im benching more than I squat ;) But since I benched 275 x 2, Ive noticed some newer stretch marks. They are actually starting to creep down my bicep a little bit too. Im hoping they fade. If I remember right, youve got a much better squat and deadlift than I do.

rich nothing wrong with a dirty bulk as long as its not for to long and your health is still in check, im just as bad if you call a 1/2 lb burger from friendlys at 11PM healthy, lol.

Yea, I cut back on McDonalds for now simply because of money. Since getting a girlfriend, its really drained my wallet. Im making up for my calories by vit D milk..easy way to drink 300 calories. Dirty bulks are fun..but I cant begin to tell you about the lectures from my family about it, lol.

Stumprrp
04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
yeah i can imagine, yup milk is the best.

Levantar
04-03-2007, 12:20 AM
My max bench was 205 x 4 and 225 x 1. I'm on a program right now that has me doing less than max lifts but coming from the 5x5 where I'm maxing all the time it feels good. My squat and dead are much better than my bench. My max squat is 315x 1 and my max dead is 350 x 5. I feel like those 2 lifts have progressed well but my bench has not. Oh well, seeing someone elses bench progress nicely gives me motivation though. :strong:

RichMcGuire
04-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Monday:

Deadlift 295 x 5,5,5,5,5
Benchpress 235 x 5,5,5,5,5 (fifth set felt the easiest..weird)
Incline dumbell press with 80's 7,8 SUPERSETTED with bentover row 120 x 8,8
Machine fly 130 x 8, 150 x 8

Total calories 2,900

Weigh in was 166.4 (dropped some unwanted bodyfat pretty quickly)

Stocked up on some PB and milk to continue my bulk now that I dropped 5 lbs (some from fat which was my idea).

I like to use PB and milk for cals right now. I take a spoonful of PB and wash it down with milk. Its an easy 500 calories from 2 tbsp and a glass of milk (2 cups)

Other days, if Im behind, I can have 4 tbsp and two glasses of milk for an easy 1000 calories after my meals. It never gives me a lasting fullness either..sort of like McDonalds, which is good for me.

Today I will be doing squats. Im hoping I can continue progress on that lift. It doesnt increase as rapidly as my bench for some reason. But as far as deadlifts and benches go, those have been increasing by about 10 lbs every week now for about 2 months now.

And a quick story:

One of my ex girlfriends (who hasnt seen me since before my bulk) saw me a few days ago. We were talking about her current boyfriend and what she should do and so on and so on..well, as I was making coffee, she commented on the fact that I had put on some weight. So jokingly, I grabbed my stomache and said, "Whats that suppose to mean??" She said it looked like all muscle and that it made a pretty big difference. Well, that obviously made my day..enough to put it on my journal ;) Its always nice to get random motivation to keep going. Thats actually why I probably stocked back up on PB and milk.

RichMcGuire
04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Monday:

Deadlift 295 x 5,5,5
Benchpress 245 x 5,5,5
Bent over row 130 x 8,8
Incline dumbell press 80's x 8,7
Cable crossover 48 settings on each arm x 10,10

Deadlift is becoming more fun and Im able to lift heavier loads with shorter rests. I guess its the same with the benchpress too..but I barely got 245 up for my 5 reps on the third set. But it was fun.

Today is squats and we are switching to 3 sets again. I will probably keep the same weight as last week because last time, my quads gave out and I started to use my lower back to sort of "good-morning" it up. So, I think it would be better to focus in on form again and not worry about the weight. If its lighter this week (to me, not the actual weight) then I will increase. We will see how it goes.

ACCOLADE
04-10-2007, 08:02 PM
What is your workout schedule?

RichMcGuire
04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Monday : Deadlifts, Bentover rows, Benchpress, Incline Dumbell press
Tues: Squats, Barbell curls, Hammer curls
Wed: Off
Thurs: Chinups, Machine rows, machine rear laterals, Shoulder press, Side laterals
Fri: SLDL, Lunges, Closegrip Benchpress, Cable pressdown
Sat: Off
Sun: Off

RichMcGuire
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Yesterday:

Full squat 205 x 5,5 then 210 x 5
Barbell curl 100 x 5,5,5
Hammer curls: 35's x 12,12

Today:

Chinups Bodyweight x 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,15
Machine row 180 x 8 then 190 x 8
Shoulder press 130 x 5,5,5

I can now do over 30 chinups which is a new high for me. I was very excited when I hit that.

Freakish
04-13-2007, 09:19 AM
yes dude. i dig that chin workout. whats your rest period look like b/t those 5s?

Built
04-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Rich, methinks it's time to start weighting those chins.

Nice work. :)

Stumprrp
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
nice work man i agree weight those chins

RichMcGuire
04-13-2007, 05:58 PM
QUOTE=Freakish;1656318]yes dude. i dig that chin workout. whats your rest period look like b/t those 5s?[/QUOTE]

Rich, methinks it's time to start weighting those chins.

Nice work. :)

nice work man i agree weight those chins

It was a 30 second rest between chinups, exactly.

Lol, I usually weight them but my partner forgot to bring his backpack so we had to use our bodyweight..so I decided we should do like 12 sets instead of the weighted 5 ;)

RichMcGuire
04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Got a little behind but here it is..

Weigh in was 170.8

Last week:

Mon-

Squat 210 x 5,5,5
Bench press 245 x 4,5 250 x 4
Row 140 x 5,5,5
Barbell curl 105 x 5

Wed-

Deadlift 305 x 5,5,5
OH press 135 x 5,5,5
Chinups 23 lb bag x 5,5,5

Fri-

Squat 210 x 5 215 x 5
Benchpress 250 x 1 245 x 5,5
Row 145 x 5,5

This week:

Mon-

Deadlift 315 x 5,5,5
OH press 140 x 5,5,5
Chinups 28 lb bag x 5,5

Wed-

Squat 215 x 5,1,5
Benchpress 245 x 5,5 (much easier this time)
Flat DB press 90's x 8 (too easy but no heavier db's)
Row 150 x 5,5
Barbell curl 105 x 5,5

My benchpress has finnally increased again. It felt great when I lifted the 90 lb dumbells to benchpress them and they felt easy. I remember a time when they were a goal..and now.. I dont have any heavier dumbells to work with! All of my weights have increased still so that makes me happy. Now, while its hotter, the gym at college is like 100 degrees so I have sweat dripping down my face. Sometimes its hard to keep going because you feel like youre going to faint. The gyms in an old raquet ball court so theres no oxygen, lol. Oh well, gotta keep on liftin :)

FANCYPANTS
04-26-2007, 07:19 AM
nice week rich, looking VERY strong...
Looks like its time for a bigger, better gym?
I would die if i lifted in heat like that...blah:)...GJ!

RichMcGuire
04-26-2007, 02:10 PM
nice week rich, looking VERY strong...
Looks like its time for a bigger, better gym?
I would die if i lifted in heat like that...blah:)...GJ!

Thx man :)

Yea, this summer I will be looking into an actual gym membership. Something with some sort of cooling..possibily a window ;)

RichMcGuire
05-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Been lazy with the journal again..but here it is:

Monday:

Benchpress 210 x 8,8,8 (switched rep scheme to bust a stand-still)
Bentover row (bicep grip) 130 x 8,8,8
Squats 130 x 15,15 (no squat rack so have to do high reps for now..at least something i can shoulder press into position)

Wed:

Deadlift 330 x 5,5
Shoulder press 150 x 5,5,4
Some pullups

Diet:

2 BLT's with 2 glasses of milk

Double cheeseburger with bacon
Fries
9 chicken fingers

Extra large pop

Power shake (720 calories)

about 3500 calories for today

Rock Steady
05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Welcome back - haven't seen a post from you in some time.

Your diet looks... oh so tasty.

RichMcGuire
05-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Welcome back - haven't seen a post from you in some time.

Your diet looks... oh so tasty.

Oh it was tasty ;)

RichMcGuire
05-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Diet:

2 cups of coffee

6 chicken fingers
18 tater tots

Power shake

Ramen noodles
Glass of milk

Chips and cheese

Large bagel with 2 tbsp peanut butter
2 glasses of milk

About 3300 - 3500 calories again.

Built
05-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Chips and cheese, tater tots ... I hate you.

<munches 100g cottage cheese with half an apple ...>

RichMcGuire
05-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Chips and cheese, tater tots ... I hate you.

<munches 100g cottage cheese with half an apple ...>

Well, I love cottage cheese too ;)

I hate feeling stuffed all the time anyways :)

Oh, that reminds me, I need to start posting my girlfriends workouts on here too. Its so cute seeing her do her little dead lifts with her little weights. But she is progressing!

RichMcGuire
05-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Mine:

Benchpress 215 x 8,8,8
Bicep grip rows 135 x 8,8,8
Skipped squats to have sex in the barn we workout at ;)

Stephs:

Benchpress 60 x 4,2,3
Row 60 x 6,5,5
Also skipped squats ;)

Diet:

Half a pizza
2 glasses of milk

Power shake

Ramen noodles
glass of milk

2 glasses of milk

Big serving of cookie dough ice cream

Chips and cheese
24 oz bud light

At about 3,400 calories so I may add a bagel or something before I go to sleep.

Built
05-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Well, I love cottage cheese too ;)

I hate feeling stuffed all the time anyways :)

Oh, that reminds me, I need to start posting my girlfriends workouts on here too. Its so cute seeing her do her little dead lifts with her little weights. But she is progressing!

I remember when I first started lifting, the guy who taught me, pretty big dude, I remember saying to him it must be like watching a toy lifting weights to watch me train.

Nice that she's coming along! :)

RichMcGuire
05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Monday:

Deadlift 330 x 5,5 (much easier, will increase)
Shoulder press 150 x 5,5 (much easier but had a pain in shoulder so I stopped at 2 sets just to be safe. I'll get my 5,5,5 on Friday ;) )
Skipped chins because of time

Wed:

Benchpress 220 x 8,8,7 (no spotter really so I had to quit at 7 but I think I could have gotten all 8 if I struggled to failure.)
Bicep grip Row 140 x 8,8,8
Squat 140 x 15 (still need to work on building a squat rack so I dont have to shoulder press the weight up)

Calories for both days were around 3,200 - 3,600.

RichMcGuire
09-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I decided to start recording in my journal again. As an update:

Ive been working out at home in my barn with no air and I only had a little 20 lb curl bar to work with. Now Im back at college and have access to a real gym.

The first two workouts were as follows:

Monday:
Squat 165 x 5,5
OH press 135 x 5, 145 x 5
Row 150 x 5,5,5
EZ bar curls 80 x 10,8

Wed:
Squat 175 x 5,5,5
Benchpress 235 x 5,5, 245 x 5
Deadlift 315 x 5
DB benchpress 80's x 8, 85's x 8

Ive had to alter some weights since I switched gyms. For one, I was deadlifting 355 for reps..but that was on my skinny bar. Now that Im in a real gym, the 45 lb bars are much thicker and harder to hold onto. So I decided to drop my weight and work on my grip instead of just using the trap bar. I see more advantages to developing a stronger grip with a real bar.

The second change was the benchpress. I can finnally use a wider grip. The one at my barn was built for kids and you had to use a close grip.

And lastly, squats. I couldnt do them for the longest time. So once again, I decided to start very light to master my form. Im adding 20 lbs a week hopefully and then 10 when it gets more difficult.

I decided to still bulk but at a slower rate. I dropped creatine so my bodyweight went from 185 to 177. The funny thing is, I never noticed it helping me. All the difference I could see was the extra water weight. But at any rate, its taken me about 3 months to gain 7-10 lbs. So that gives you an idea of the time frame Im going for.

RichMcGuire
09-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Workout class today:

Machine benchpress: 315 x 6,6,6. This was as far as the machine could go ;)
Pullups 1 x 10
Dips 1 x 20

Later that day at the YMCA...

Squat 185 x 5,5,5 - My knees are going past my toes so I did not increase the weight. Instead, Im working on my hip flexibility.

Deadlift 315 x 5 - I tested out some new workout gloves. They helped slightly with my grip. So then I tried my chalk I bought. Man, what a difference. I had no troubles holding onto the bar. This means I can increase my weight similar to what it was with the skinny bar.

Dumbell benchpress 85's x 10. I'll be increasing to 90's on friday for a couple sets after my regular benchpress.

Diet:

3 cheeseburgers - added 3 tbsp may and 21 olives to make olive burgers
large fry
glass of milk

Protein drink

So far, Im at 2270. But my night is still young. I bought a hungry man sports grill that has 1100 calories and I will be adding mayo to this too and some milk. After that, it should just be a matter of having another protein drink and 4 tbsp of peanut butter ;)

I quit creatine, as I said, so I went from 185 to 177. Thats fine.. it was just water weight. Whats funny to me is, I struggled at 167 - 170. When I was 170, that was my high. Normally, I was 166-168 and I just couldnt get past it. Well, over the summer I didnt eat as much..dont get me wrong..I was still bulking..but my calories dropped because I was so busy. Now after summer is over, Im 10 lbs heavier without trying it seems like. All I did was lift and try my best to get 3,000 calories.

Within the next week, I will be ahving my body fat % tested with a very expensive machine at my college. We'll see where Im at ;)

RichMcGuire
09-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Workout:

Squat 185 x 5,5,5 Hip flexibility was there this time so I can increase weight
OH press 145 x 5,5,5 - much easier this time so I will be going to 155
DB press 90's x 9, 10 - will be increasing to 95's next time

Diet:

Half a pizza
glass of milk

Protein shake

Protein shake

3 cups of coffee with 3 hot cocoa packets stirred in
2 granola bars

Half a box of hamburger helper

Protein shake

Calories were about 3,600 for the day.

Missionbrent
10-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Looking good buddy. Thanks for the tips earlier. Figured I would join to get some good advice like you. I will start my journal real soon. You seem to get a lot of positive support on here. Looking forward to the next update.

RichMcGuire
10-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Looking good buddy. Thanks for the tips earlier. Figured I would join to get some good advice like you. I will start my journal real soon. You seem to get a lot of positive support on here. Looking forward to the next update.

Awsome. I just took a look at your journal. Im cutting right now but in a few weeks, I'll be back on a bulk following a routine from Chris Mason. I'd really suggest you read some of the articles and stickies here. They are a huge help.

redrinder
04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
wow, you havent posted in a while. I was just checkeing to see how your progress is going. Hope all is well

RichMcGuire
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
wow, you havent posted in a while. I was just checkeing to see how your progress is going. Hope all is well

Ah, it's nice to see you again :) Yea, I havent really been posting on my journal, but I have been hitting the weights since I'm a trainer at my gym. I guess I can start posting my workouts here again.

Right now, Ive been using tri-sets to inducle a level of muscular fatigue that produces rapid muscle gains. After about a month or so, I'll be switching to a strength based routine, and then back to a muscle based routine a month later. And on off days, I'm doing HIIT :)

RichMcGuire
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
HIIT:

2 min warmup at 45% effort

85% effort sprint for 30 seconds

2 min recovery at 45%

90% effort sprint for 20 seconds

2 min recovery at 45%

100% all out effort sprint for 10 seconds

2 min recovery at 45%

90% effort sprint for 20 seconds

5 min recovery at 45%

RichMcGuire
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Wed:

Squat 185 x 6

Machine crunches 70 lbs x 10

Lunges with 40's x 10

Machine crunches 80 lbs x 10

Standing calf raises 230 x 10

Machine crunches 100 lbs x 10

Thurs:

Warm up at 40% effort for 5 mins

All out sprint for 20 seconds

2 min recovery at 45%

2 min recovery at 45%

3 min recovery at 45%

5 min recovery at 45%

Diet:

Morning: 2 pieces of whole wheat toast (no fructose) with 2 tbsp natural peanut butter

HIIT---

Lunch/Dinner: 7 oz grilled salmon, green beans, and mashed potatoes

Meals left to eat: Skinless wings from hooters

8 oz lean cut sirloin + Green beans or peas

RichMcGuire
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Tuesday: Chest / abs (minimal rest - less than 1 min between sets)

Flat DB press: 75 x 10,7,5
Incline DB press: 60 x 7,5
Machine Fly: 80 lbs x 10,10,10
Decline DB press: 55x 8,7

Machine crunches at 100 lbs x 20 reps

Wednesday: Back / calves (minimal rest)

Latpulldown 154 lbs x 10,7,6
Machine row at 90 lbs x 10,10,10
Barbell row 75 x 10,10,10
Deadlift 225 x 8,10

Standing calf raises 250 lbs x 15 reps

RichMcGuire
03-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Thurs:

Dumbell shoulder press, hammer grip: 40 x 10,10,6
Front raises, over head 15 x 9,8
Later raises 12 x 10,10
DB shrugs 80's x 10,10

Romanian deadlifts 115 x 10,10

RichMcGuire
03-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Squat day:

Squats 135 x 10,10

Leg press machine 200 x10 250x9

leg extension 44 x 10,10

Lying leg curl machine weight + 35 lb plate x 10,10

Had a huge hang over today so I struggled to get all of my sets. Im following Ed coan's program. And I started very light on legs because 1) my legs, though muscular, are weakest. 2) I want to ease into squats to really keep my form in check. The weight will come over time as I repeat this periodization cycle.

It's still just weird. Ive never even maxed out on squats, ever.. but Ive benched close to 300 raw. My leg strength needs some work. Despite me having muscular thighs that balance my body, i lift weights of someone that has toothpick legs. I really hope to correct this over time.

RichMcGuire
03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Tuesday - Bench Day

Benchpress 135 x 10 155 x 10,10
Incline DB press 60's x 10,10
Dips BW + 25 lb plate x 10,10
Machine fly's 60 x 10 70 x 10

Diet: M1 - Whole wheat bagel + whey protein drink
Post workout - 2 packs of sour gushers + Whey protein shake
M3 - 9 or 10 oz steak + 1 full can spinach* + olive oil

Total kcals - 1200 - 1300

I have about 700-1000 kcals left to eat since I'm not currently bulking.

At the end of this cycle, I'm aiming for a 250+ bench x 1. And then the next 8 week cycle, a 300+ bench x 1. We'll see what happens since I'm limiting overall kcals and carbs for the summer time. I prefer to have less fat during this time.

RichMcGuire
03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Thursday: Deadlift Day

Deadlifts 245 lbs x 10,10
Bent over rows 95 lbs x 10,10,10
Lat pull downs 132 lbs x 10,10
Romanian Deadlifts 115 lbs x 10

Diet:

M1 (pre workout)Double bacon cheeseburger with fries from burger king(800 kcals?)

M2 (post workout)2 scoop whey shake + 2 packs of gushers(450 kcals)

M3 Big helping of homade pot roast with carrots (500 kcals?)

M4 (not yet decided. I may be close on total kcals.

Eating 1900-2000 some kcals just plain sucks. I cant wait to reeeaaally bulk again.

RichMcGuire
03-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Friday - Assistance day

Close grip Benchpress - 135 x10,10
OH press 95 x 10,10
Dumbell laterals 15 x 8, 12 x 10
Reverse fly's 60 x 10,10
Cable pushdown 99 x 10,10
Alternating DB curls 30's x 10,10
Standing calf raises 250 x 10,10

Al19067
03-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Are you following ed coan's program?

RichMcGuire
03-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Are you following ed coan's program?

Yea. Are you familiar with it? So far I really like it. It's almost like a mix between bodybuilding and power lifting.

RichMcGuire
11-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Decided to continue my journal because its helped me to keep motivated in the past.

I just finished cutting. As a recap, I started at 146 lbs and bulked my way all the way up to 185. I took some time off and dropped down to the 175 range. I'm 5'7. After this, I got into cutting, and lowered my body fat quite a bit. I dropped all the way down to 147 lbs, but this time, I was at a much, much lower body fat than when I had started pre-bulk. Back then, I probably would have had to drop down to 125 - 130 to see the definition as much as I did now at 147. So, I made quite a bit of progress even the the weight seems low. All of my lifts kept the same poundage as well.

When I think about being 147 lbs, I dont like it..but I'm only 5'7. It remins me of Hugo Rivera looking massive on stage.. and he was only 155 lbs. So in my personal opinion, weight numbers dont mean much at all. Its how you carry it.

Anyways, I'm started to bulk once more since its winter. I'm at 161 lbs, so I've already been slowly gaining. Except now when I'm 161 lbs, Im much leaner than before (thx to my previous bulk/cut) I'm hoping to hit 195 but that will depend on body fat gain. I'll attach a pic from my cut.