PDA

View Full Version : Best Supplement regime to put on mass

pete223
11-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey everyone, just found this place, seems great! :clap:

I've always had trouble putting on weight; my strength will increase steadily but I just can't seem to break 170lb. I'm 6'2 and i'm currently at 162lb. I take the following supplements daily

Mass XXX protein powder x2 (that's about 2000 calories right there)
Amino Acids 1800
NO2 Hemodilator
Mega Men Sport Dietary Supplement

I'm trying to stay away from creatine...although I know that would really help. Are there any other supplements out there that I should be adding to the regime?

getfit
11-14-2006, 06:54 PM
how does your overall diet look like?

training split?

Slim Schaedle
11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey everyone, just found this place, seems great! :clap:

I've always had trouble putting on weight; my strength will increase steadily but I just can't seem to break 170lb. I'm 6'2 and i'm currently at 162lb. I take the following supplements daily

Mass XXX protein powder x2 (that's about 2000 calories right there)
Amino Acids 1800
NO2 Hemodilator
Mega Men Sport Dietary Supplement

I'm trying to stay away from creatine...although I know that would really help. Are there any other supplements out there that I should be adding to the regime?
Drop all of that.

Get your diet in gear, if it is not already. Count your calories.

Add protein powder to make up for any that is lacking in diet.

Start gaining weight consistently and then add creatine later if you like.

Search old threads on here pertaining to supplements.

That's it. End of thread.

Anything anyone else tells you is just extra stuff.

reloaded
11-15-2006, 03:30 PM
What you absolutely need to gain mass:

Lots of food. Nuff said.

Buzzsaw
11-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Creatine will give more strength and lean body mass than any other supplement. Not sure why you want to avoid it, as it's been proven to be perfectly safe as long as your keep yourself hydrated. In any case, throw all those supplements away, eat more food and buy some Nitrean protein powder.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Creatine will give more strength and lean body mass than any other supplement.No it won't. Creatine doesn't contain any calories.

In any case, throw all those supplements away, eat more food and buy some Nitrean protein powder.:withstupi

jdeity
11-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't drop the mega men, or the massXXX, if you got the change to spend on them. I personally wouldn't purchase them, but they're solid products.

The other stuff tho? I'd currently be tearing apart my car tryign to find the receipt if i were you.

Creatine makes you retain water, in your muscles, right? So, taking creatine would increase lean body mass, right? Scarz, i don't get your objection, am i mixing something up here?

jdeity
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
As far as that amino acid supplement, let's do an experiment.

look at how many grams of bcaa's there are per pill

look at how many grams of bcaa's there are in every scoop of massXXX

Using basic math, compute how many pill's worth of BCAA's there are in every scoop of massXXX. seriously. I'm actually interested to know, adn the info should be on your products. I'm betting there's like 20 pills worth of bcaa's in every serving of that weightgainer.

pete223
11-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all the info guys; I definitely am eating a lot; trying to take in 4-5000 cals a day, its' just tough to eat regularly.

jdeity -- wow, you are right!

Amino Tablets:

Leucine 900mg (per day)
Isoleucine 630mg
Valine 270 mg

mass XXX:

Leucine 4968 (per serving; taking 2 servings per day)
Isoleucine 2892 (per serving)
Valine 2898 (per serving)

Looks like i'm wasting a lot of money on the amino tablets!

So I guess the best thing to do now is just eat a ton and keep up with the protein powder. Thanks again!

p.s. i can't believe i was suckered into all these supplements:bash:

Slim Schaedle
11-15-2006, 08:54 PM
p.s. i can't believe i was suckered into all these supplements:bash:
We've all been there

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Creatine makes you retain water, in your muscles, right? So, taking creatine would increase lean body mass, right? Scarz, i don't get your objection, am i mixing something up here?:scratch:

Calories = muscles.

Creatine itself will not add lean body mass. It may help increase muscular growth for the increase in short bursts of energy...more fiber tearing (etc.)...and given your diet is sufficient in enough calories, then yes...it will add LBM. Creatine by itself will not add LBM without the proper diet.

Slim Schaedle
11-15-2006, 09:03 PM
:scratch:

Calories = muscles.

Creatine itself will not add lean body mass. It may help increase muscular growth for the increase in short bursts of energy...more fiber tearing (etc.)...and given your diet is sufficient in enough calories, then yes...it will add LBM. Creatine by itself will not add LBM without the proper diet.
I think he is basing it on the fact that technically, water has mass.

Cells draw water in when creatine is used.

This means more mass/weight.

However, the water is taken from extracelluar sources, and to make up for this, the individual supplementing must respond by drinking more water.

So, technically, even though creatine use results in added water weight which increases body mass that is not adipose tissue, it is still dependant on the person actually drinking the water.

So, the person drinking is really increasing their own mass.

(Don't take that as a lecture, Scarz, ... just speaking to everyone :) )