PDA

View Full Version : Tuna sandwiches?

IHaveToCrushYou
11-15-2006, 01:28 AM
Ive just started eating tuna and Im wondering how u guys eat ur tuna? Im not a big fan of eating it right out of the can but I would like to make some protein-filled sandwiches, which minimal fat/carbs. What kind of mayo do u guys use and how much?

taco
11-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Are you on a cut? I wouldn't use mayo at all.

I use wholegrain bread, lettuce, shredded carrots, low fat cheese and I use flavoured tuna. Lemon and cracked pepper is nice and so is Tomato and Basil.

IHaveToCrushYou
11-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Thanks taco, I'll give that flavoured tuna a shot and yeah Im on cut.

FREAKZILLA
11-15-2006, 08:57 AM
I throw a can of tuna on some whole wheat bread with spinach, and balsamic vinager. Another variation I use is: mix it with some chilled brown rice, lemon, dill, and some mrs dash lemon pepper, wow! just wow!

John04Civic
11-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I just man up and eat it out of the can.. Sometimes with crackers.

I should try the bread thing though!

FREAKZILLA
11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
I just man up and eat it out of the can.. Sometimes with crackers.

I should try the bread thing though!

Out of the can is good, but it get's very repetitive. If I eat out of the can I make sure to bring some Mrs Dash with me; give it a little more flavor.

IHaveToCrushYou
11-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I dont mind eating out of the can but its sorting through all the bones that gets me

piff
11-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Sorting through the bones? What kind of tuna are you eating?:confused:

IHaveToCrushYou
11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
its pretty nasty, theres little vertebrae-looking bones. I get this stuff from costco, cant remember what its called though. Im thinkin of switching brands. Got any suggestions?

FREAKZILLA
11-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Yeah man,

Your tuna having bones seems a little more than annoying. Have you ever choked or been poked with the bones?

My choice is chicken of the sea. It's cheap and delicious.

DCF
11-16-2006, 10:48 AM
White bread, mix tuna with mayo, salt and pepper, and butter. Toast it and make a tuna melt by adding cheese.

method115
11-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Mix tuna with mayo and just eat is what I do when I'm lazy.

Tuna mixed in mayo, with wheat bread a piece of lettuce and two slices of tomatoes is what I do when I want it to taste good.

piff
11-17-2006, 10:28 PM
My favorite tuna is 'Bumble Bee Solid White Prime Fillet Albacore' in water. It's a little more expensive so I don't buy it all the time but it's got huge chunks of tuna and tastes awesome.

But because I've been trying to save a little money, I've been buying the regular Bumble Bee Albacore in water. I just mix it with light mayo, salt, and pepper. Put it on some whole wheat toast (with tomatos or spinach if I've got it handy) and eat it with a hand full of almonds. It's an awesome meal

Sexybeast777
11-18-2006, 04:38 AM
I hate albacore tuna

EvanH
11-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Squeeze a lemon on it. It's how I eat mine mmm mmm mmmmmm

irish_dec
01-05-2007, 11:11 AM
when i have it with mayo, red onion and some pepper, quality in a sarnie

MrWebb78
01-05-2007, 09:30 PM
try mixing it with a spicy mustard instead of mayo. tastes good and no fat.

RedSpikeyThing
01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
I mix it with mayo, hot mustard, orgeano and a bit of lemon juice to take the edge off.

Lean-N-Mean
01-06-2007, 02:43 AM
My favorite tuna is 'Bumble Bee Solid White Prime Fillet Albacore' in water. It's a little more expensive so I don't buy it all the time but it's got huge chunks of tuna and tastes awesome.
l

This stuff is great , just ate a couple of cans the last couple of days. Mix it with fat free mayo , I can't really taste a difference.

* Also the starkist pouches that are already seasoned are pretty good( stay away from lemon pepper though).

Yeti Sandwich
01-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Chopped celery and onion
Garlic salt, salt, pepper, curry powder
Lemon juice, mustard, hot sauce

Mix 'n eat.

WBBIRL
01-06-2007, 05:12 PM
If its in vegtable oil I'd sooner eat it out of the can then mix it with anything. In water I could eat it out of the can, but would prefer to mix in like 1 tablespoon of light mayo and eat it with crackers or something.

I like to take tuna and add it to soup, like oddles of noodles or something. Best thing I've ever done with tuna is take it plus a package of oriental flavored ramen noodles and an egg and cook it all together.. UMMM

Ti1301
01-18-2007, 11:36 PM
for me, miracle whip, some mustard and if I have it on hand onions

jurzysfinest
01-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I put it on whole wheat bread, but isnt there like high mercury in tuna or something?

VikingWarlord
01-21-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't eat it in sandwiches, but I like to mix 2 cans with either some sugar-free sweet relish (0 calories) or some Frank's Red Hot and black pepper, sometimes also with chopped onion or sliced green onions.

teaturtle
01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
i've tried the mayo,mustard,relish thing except added chopped up dill pickles and it tasted awsome...so just for a better tuna salad use pickles lol. makes the texture better too..

The Great
01-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I just made tried the tuna miked with spicy mustard and it was awesome. I put it on whole wheat bread with low fat cheese and avocado.

Three
01-24-2007, 03:44 PM
The best tuna salad I've made so far has been with chow-chow (it's a southern thing) or jalapeños. No fancy recipes. I just add half a teaspoon of mayo and about 5 or 6 jalapeño slices or a teaspoon of chow-chow. Works for me.

Mad Martigan
01-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Does anyone use chicken instead of tuna? I think it tastes better, but it has 1g less protein per serving.

esailor
01-26-2007, 10:07 PM
I really like the starkist foil packets I get the 3.5 oz packs. I mix in 1.5 to 2 tables spoons of low fat Italian dressing a little salt and eat it out of the pack. They are great at work as they require no refidgeration. Celery and onion would be nice to change the texture.

Pete

isosceles
01-29-2007, 01:58 AM
hey man be careful not to eat too much... when i was bulking i was having 2-3 cans a day, in the form of tuna+pb on whole wheat. that was until i found out, eating excessive amounts of tuna and fish high up on the food chain can be bad for you. 2-3 cans a week is a healthy amount, and i never have more than 1 per day now.

but back to the question - in my opinion, tuna + peanut butter + pickle slices on whole wheat bread is AMAZING.

Carter
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
I made this last night and posted it in my journal but I figured I might as well give it some exposure since I liked it. :)

Made a really nice Tuna Pasta dish today:
Trader Joe's organic Sprouted Wheat Pappardelle Pasta(Anything that is a larger chunkier pasta would work best I think this is about 3/4 inch wide and 8 inches long)
(2 bags Net Wt 16 oz total, 8 per bag)
Aunt Penny's Can o' White Sauce (Not the healthiest might wanna look for a healthier one)
5 cans o' tuna
6 table spoons of ramano or parmasean cheese
Tabasco!

Nutrition facts:
2835 343.5 259.5 37.25
Cals Carbs Prot Fat

And it is definitely more than 1 meal.

Boil pasta by directions.

Place pasta back in pot boiled in and turn to low/medium-low.
Add White Sauce and stir into pasta.
Add Tuna and stir in.
Add parmesean and stir in.
Let it all warm up a bit.
Then add salt,pepper and tobasco to taste.
Prolly 2 tbspoons of tobasco for me.

In regards to mercury in tuna, I agree to an extent. I think a better option (but possibly more expensive option) is Salmon cans instead of tuna cans here. Salmon spend less time in the ocean and don't get as old as tuna. Mercury levels in fish rise the longer they live so choose a fish that doesn't have a long life span if you want to eat fish. (I read this in a few articles, could all be ******** but makes sense to me.)

zen
02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know if there are any brands of Tuna that are lower in mercury?

If you are going to eat tuna a lot, mercury becomes an issue because it builds up in your system and is not readily removed

NordicNacho
02-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know if there are any brands of Tuna that are lower in mercury?

If you are going to eat tuna a lot, mercury becomes an issue because it builds up in your system and is not readily removed

Stay away from albacore that’s has the most. I've researched in on the net and the information I found is that if you’re over 200 pounds you can have 5 cans a week and still be ok.

Mad Martigan
02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Use chicken instead.

DHSBigD03
02-01-2007, 09:32 PM
i had the same kind of probelm figuring out what to put in tuna. best advice i can give is to look through your fridge/pantry and find any type of vegetables/seasonings that you like and throw them in. find what you think is best.

Mad Martigan
02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm using the Mrs. Dash tomato-basil seasoning right now. It's been pretty good so far.

mickyjune26
02-02-2007, 09:28 AM
these all are some good suggestions! thanks everyone!

teaturtle
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
the pasta suggestion sounds yummy....

GEOFF361
02-03-2007, 12:21 PM
i usually eat tuna on a wheat wrap with lettuce and tomato. if you wanna mix it up, try heating your tuna and putting salsa on it, its actually pretty good, especially if your sick of the taste of tuna.

SW
02-03-2007, 01:51 PM
I only eat this rarely since i'm cutting right now, but we take a couple cans of tuna, mix in some mayo, put it on rye and use a george foreman. with cheese of course. has some fattening **** but the tuna sure tastes good after george foreman is done with it!

Mad Martigan
02-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I use Miracle Whip light and it has less than 2 grams of fat.

KingWilder
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
miracle whip, tuna, celery or cucumber (optional)

mix

put it between 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, throw on a slice of cheese, and then put it on a george foreman if you have one and close the lid (it'll toast and press the sandwhich similar to a panini)....soooooo damn good

otherwise just put it in the oven til the cheese melts

Mad Martigan
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Do you think I could toast the bread and then microwave it?

KingWilder
03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
probably, might be a little soggy though

theJamAbides
03-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I dont mind eating out of the can but its sorting through all the bones that gets me

I could be totally wrong, but I've had bones in my tuna before. It's more common in salmon (and you really should take as much out of the salmon as possible). But I believe they pressure cook the tuna and you can just eat the bones, they'll crunch a bit but there isn't much taste.

However, I RARELY ever have more than a single missed vertebrae in every 10 cans or so.

PettyFerrari
03-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Try mixing a can of tuna with some hummus, it's damn good. You can use it as a dip for some whole wheat pita bread too.

kmrobins
03-15-2007, 03:36 AM
My favorite tuna is 'Bumble Bee Solid White Prime Fillet Albacore' in water.

Bumble Bee Tuna! *spit*

Anyone guess what movie this quote is off?

IHaveToCrushYou
03-18-2007, 12:40 PM
haha I think it's somethin with Jim Carrey in it, Ace Ventura?

Blanche_Soprano
03-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I like mixing my tuna with a bit of salad dressing. My favorite is Spectrum Organic Pomegranate Chipotle. I throw it on a slice of whole wheat toast with some avocado. yum.

I also mix it with Miracle Whip Light and some cut up celery and pickle. I also put that on a slice of whole wheat toast with some baby spinach leaves.

I use StarKist, Bumblebee, and Chicken of the Sea, Bumblebee is probably my favorite though. Not only do they taste great, but they are the most safe name brands when it comes to dolphins (yeah, this is where my hippie side shines through). The rest of the name brands out there do not always have the best techniques for catching tuna and harm many other sea creatures, not just dolphins, when getting their fish. Sorry for the enviromentalist rant here.

North
03-24-2007, 07:17 PM
put some hot sauce in there, its good.

Smooth23
03-25-2007, 05:00 AM
I add just a thumnail sized dab of mayo, chopped onion, a little relish and mustard(spicy if I got it). Yum. Or just eat those little packets straight out of the packet for a snack at work.

jtrink
03-25-2007, 11:50 AM
i live on tuna sandwhiches, go down so smooth with miracle whip and a pickle. High in protein, and goooooood.:strong:

Kyolked
04-04-2007, 02:12 AM
its pretty nasty, theres little vertebrae-looking bones. I get this stuff from costco, cant remember what its called though. Im thinkin of switching brands. Got any suggestions?

Lol, this sounds like some shady tuna!! Just curious, and if you are strapped for cash its probally not a good idea, but at costco/sams club they have thin sandwhich cut salmon, and its GREAT!

ProLogic
04-04-2007, 05:17 PM
This might be a Mexican recipe for preparing tuna or I'm not sure how you guys do it.

Ingredients:

- 2 Cans of tuna
- Celery
- Tomatoes
- Onions
- Hot sauce (dont have to use this)
- Mayo

1. Put all those ingredients in a bowl
2. Mix all those things together (make sure you put enough mayo to cover everything)
3. Put it in a whole wheat sandwhich or make it as a dip to go with crackers.

04-04-2007, 05:50 PM
im huge fan of grilled tuna and cheese samdwiches mmmmmmm mmmmm goood!!!!!!!!!!!

stepto180
04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
im huge fan of grilled tuna and cheese samdwiches mmmmmmm mmmmm goood!!!!!!!!!!!

mmm tuna and cheese I would love one of those right now

04-04-2007, 10:27 PM
mmm tuna and cheese I would love one of those right now

as would i sissy as would I

Hyperion
04-07-2007, 03:12 AM
:hide:

Dman
04-09-2007, 11:23 PM
has anyone tried the tuna salad sandwhich at Panera Bread.... its amazing

Dman
04-09-2007, 11:23 PM
it might have too much mayo in it however

Gibbe84
04-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Parsley, lemon, lettuce, onion and tomato

JPW
04-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Tuna + mayo + a little onion + diced hard boiled eggs and some salt and pepper and stirr it all together = Amazing , just eat it or throw it on some bread crackers whatever you like

North
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
^^ good idea