PDA

View Full Version : Cutting attempt, What do you think?

TopQuark1028
11-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey everyone, I just got back into going to the gym about 2 months ago and I really wanna slim down because I know i have some muscle under all my fun flab haha.

A little background:

I use to be huge into the gym but I took about 7 months off (girlfriends will do this to you if you're not careful haha) and Now I've been back hitting the place pretty hard. I'm 5'7" 185lbs

I currently do 6 days a week of 30 minute HIIT and I life 4 of these 6 days. My gym is limited and I have a quasi mild knee energy so I don't do legs very much.

Lifting:
for bench I'm at about a 210 max and do a 4 set routine of 10,8,6,4 reps increasing weight obviously as I go up.
deadlift I'm at ~275 and do 3 sets because after those 3 I can't even think about more
Squats I'm at a really laughable 225 and barely doing that much.

Supplements:
I take a multivitamin, xenadrine EFX twice a day (morning and like 5ish), Green tea extract (about 300mg), and I have 4 amino fuel pills with each meal (5g protein will all the major amino acids in it).

Diet:
I have a 200 calorie breakfast every day at 9:30 of which is ~15g protein and the rest carbs

Lunch:
at about noon I eat lunch and usually have a spinach salad, 3 hard boiled eggs, and some sort of lunch special they have (chicken breast w/ pasta, gyro, fish, it varies) but all in all i'd say it was ~650 calories (I don't eat to big of a portion if it's a fattier thing)

3pm
At this time I usually have a protein shake that has about 25g of protein and I think it's 210 calories or something.

Dinner (8pm ish):
For dinner I usually have a lean cuisine meal which totals about 300-350 calories.

(I goto the gym at about 6pm)

So this sounds all good so far but here comes the bad part: I'm a mild alcoholic and end up going out about 5 nights a week and having about 5-10 low carb or light beers/shots a night. (5ish on weekdays and 10ish on weekends)

so with that included I consume on average about 1800-2000 calories a day. And on top of this I'm also a smoker :(

There it is tear me apart guys haha.

markdk86
11-15-2006, 06:55 PM
You keep drinking like that, you will get no where. I also think with a level of activity like that, you probably aren't eatting enough and calories may be too low, test it and see. Also, approximating calories won't cut it ;).

You need more protein, and also need to find how many grams of protein, fats, and carbohydrates and the sources for all of these.

Unreal
11-15-2006, 07:10 PM
First, post your macros. Second, there is no way your doing 30 minutes of HIIT 6 times a week. Even Anthony would have trouble with that if it is true HIIT. Third, sounds like you have alot of work to do.

markdk86
11-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Also, quit smoking. It's gonna hold you back sooner or later.

Cirino83
11-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Bicardi and diet coke (with a lime) and little to no beer if you must drink so much. :alcoholic

TopQuark1028
11-16-2006, 05:00 PM
haha thanks for the response guys. I'm gonna work on calculating my macros and In the meantime work big time on increasing my protein intake.

My understanding of HIIT is ~30-60 second sprints with ~1 min break in between them so this is what I have been doing on an elliptical machine (the band Unearthed really makes this not to bad haha)

As far as smoking: ya I'm down to maybe like 2 cigs a day so I'm getting a little better in that area, definitely working on quiting.

As for the bacardi and diet coke: eww I hate bacardi but I found this V8 splash juice that has 10 calories per serving that mixes really well with Malibu coconut and tastes amazing so I'm gonna move more towards this.

As far as drinking in general: I'm working on cutting down a little but I don't think I can totally quit hah.
Do you honestly think I won't be able to lose weight (fat) even though I'm only consuming an average of 1800-2000 calories a day and my Basal + lifestyle + activities totals on average 3500 (fitday)?

I've been on this plan of mine for about 3 weeks and feel like (perhaps incorrectly,I really need to buy a scale) that I've been losing a little.

Anyway, any input is very much appreciated.

BakedWafer
11-21-2006, 01:24 PM
You may want to address your alcoholism before you worry about the gym.

TopQuark1028
11-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Well I'm working on my alcoholism I've managed to limit my use to the weekends recently which I've bene happy about heh