PDA

View Full Version : Had my first MMA sparring match

Jinkies
11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I had no idea how unconditioned I was.

Went against a guy I know whose been training mma for 3 years now, I have no fighting backround but due to my strength I could handle my self really well.

I only lasted 5 minutes and I was done, I had no breathing experience and almost passed out from lack of air and tenseness. Im going to start adding some jumprope; im not embaressed though hes trained so its expected. He did alot of blocking while I tired myself out but I was totally dominating the fight till we hit the 3 minute point and I was breathless. He took control there and got one solid hit that leveled my jaw. We went out on a few more trading blows till I called it cause I was too tired. I bloodied his nose really good with a uppercut under his gloves when he was boxing. I had him till we hit a point where his conditioning took over and I was done.

Ricky Bobby
11-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Was he a lot older than you too? How much you weighing in at now? Is this mma something you really want to pursue?

Jinkies
11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Hes about 2 years older then me but smaller.

Im weighing 268 and im in the middle of my cutting phase.

MMA is something im trying to get into but its difficult with powerlifting; im trying to mix them both up so Im not just worthless size outside the weightroom. I'd like to train more in it, i've never been hit so hard in the jaw in my life; right when I got tired my hand dropped and he just swung right at me.

Ricky Bobby
11-15-2006, 08:59 PM
How far are you going to cut down? I think with your strength and some conditioning this could be for you.

Jinkies
11-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Im going to try to get to around 240 if possible, I don't think my strength will drop to much. Powerlifting is all about conditiong the central nervous system to add weight so if I can get to a lean 250 or so Ill be able to make weight for the 242 with dehydration and i'll be alot healthier.

Im gonna get into jujitsu and trying to take advantage of my strength, with 6 months of mma conditioning I could be pretty solid. Im going to keep lifting heavy and on my off days have 1 hour high intensity training sessions. Gonna start off slow and work on breathing with light sparring.

x1986x
11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
A good thing to practice too if you're going to get into MMA is plyometrics.

I'd do MMA if I didn't have to do jiu-jitsu haha... so I just stick to Muay Thai.

Jody Poff
11-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Remember in MMA u use big burst of energy at different times.So build up your legs, because when your legs get tired and go the rest of your body will follow.Do sprints,plyometrics,and alot of legs with muscle cardio.Do not rely on strength, Rely on Quickness and agility.If u try to muscle it will wear u down faster because your to stiff.Just relax and be calm.

Ruffian
11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Do sprints,plyometrics,and alot of legs with muscle cardio.Do not rely on strength, Rely on Quickness and agility.

Umm.... There would be no such thing as muscle cardio.. I think he meant muscular endurance and cardio.... I am not an MMA or anything but from doing track (hurdle sprints) you learn that you need to balance training heavy with training explosive (light weight and tons of power). That should help a bit....

Train your endurance!!!! That sound slike its your biggest issue, yes, sprint training will be good; but swim too (if you cant run long distances) and if you can then do longer distances while running!

Maki Riddington
11-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Long distance running is the last thing he should be doing. Running is not the most effective means to increase his level of conditioning to maintain any kind of meaningful output during a 3-5 minute round

Jody Poff
11-16-2006, 11:42 AM
What i meant by muscle cardio is- work your muscles to the point they cant go anymore,Give them a 30 second rest then go again.Use light weight and go as fast as u can for a set time.As it gets easier increase your time, Set it up like your doing rounds.As a MMA fighter and trainer of professional MMA fighters i have found this in fact does work.In MMA long distant running only helps to lose weight, Sprints and fast paced workouts help in sparring and competition.Also have someone hold mits and do rounds switching every round 1st round hands 2nd round kicks and knees 3rd round ground and pound. if its a 3 round fight you go 6, 1 min. rest you rest 30 sec.

Maki Riddington
11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Jody. It's nice to have you posting on the boards. I'd love to hear more about how you get yourself and others into better condition.

Jody is an experienced fighter and AtLarge's newest sponsered athlete.

Jody Poff
11-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey whats up.its nice to be here,Sure id love to answer any questions u have.any way i can help im all for it,Thanks.

KingJustin
11-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I'm with Jody.

Any kind of high-intensity stuff, especially the kind that focuses on all different body parts is great for MMA. Circuit training, HIIT and complexes have helped me tremendously.

Reala
11-16-2006, 04:57 PM
See... this kinda thing I think

"How much are you really trying"

Because MMA is one of the easiest sports to work yourself at... it's that kinda thing where you have to work or you are going to get hurt. You should really, really, really push yourself. You obviously won't know submissions, but you can wrestle with strength and just work on pinning someone down and using your body weight.

I don't want to sound like a prick, but I am just saying, MMA is the type of sport, where when you are tired you 'should' be able to work twice as hard as you think you can...

Jinkies
11-16-2006, 05:03 PM
See... this kinda thing I think

"How much are you really trying"

Because MMA is one of the easiest sports to work yourself at... it's that kinda thing where you have to work or you are going to get hurt. You should really, really, really push yourself. You obviously won't know submissions, but you can wrestle with strength and just work on pinning someone down and using your body weight.

I don't want to sound like a prick, but I am just saying, MMA is the type of sport, where when you are tired you 'should' be able to work twice as hard as you think you can...

Im not understanding what your saying.

I found out thismorning I have broncitus, might have had something to do with me getting short of breath during the match but not an excuse for the almost knockout I recieved.

Reala
11-16-2006, 05:05 PM
I do Kickboxing, Jujitsu & MMA. My fitness has improved ten fold since I started... All I will say is work as hard as you possibly can, by the end of the lesson you should want to go home and collapse... do one more bag round after that. It's the only way you will build up the correct type of endurence.

I am no expert, but I went from my first week training 1 day a week, and my legs and back hurting too much to train the next session (2 days later), to now training 5 days a week, my recovery time has increased a ton and I rarely feel tired / drained the next day.

I remember my first few lessons there was a timer on and the guy said to do 3 minute rounds. After 2 I was dead and I went to sit down, but for some reason I heard the timer go again and thought, screw it, it will hurt for today, maybe tommorow, but in a week I will forget it. I ended up doing 6 rounds and I use that mentality every time I train now...
"It may hurt today and tommorow... but in 1/2 weeks I would have moved on and got stronger from it"

Jinkies
11-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah your right, when I was tired I should of kept going but it was more of a introductory.

Its hard for me to go balls to the wall because im still powerlifting and lifting heavy almost everyday, its going to be hard to excel at both so sometime in the future im going to have to make a choice. I would of went the extra limit but if I couldnt keep my guard up my face would get hurt, it wasnt just a endurance run. Couldnt risk throwing off a powerlifting meet I got this weekend aswell.

Im gonna start with alot of jumprope and sprinting and doing some polymetrics and all after my weightlifting to fatigue my muscles and push them to a point of developing high muscular endurance. Gonna go around picking fights at parties to develop some experience too.... jk.

Reala
11-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Im not understanding what your saying.

I found out thismorning I have broncitus, might have had something to do with me getting short of breath during the match but not an excuse for the almost knockout I recieved.

Well I read your post and it said you tired yourself out punching, which probably means you felt the burn and weight in your arms... being 250 pounds who can blame you.

But I think you should have thought after you did that something like "I was kicking his ass for most of the first round, if I take this 30 seconds to compose myself and go at him at less of a pace, maybe get a take down... I can maybe take this round".

Always, always go for one more round then you think possible man... last week I was sparring a black belt, I got leveled and I saw stars. But I continued and I did pretty good... I felt a heck of a lot better after continuing and knowing I did well and learnt a lot, then I would have if I had dropped out and had to think about how hurt I was...

Not trying to say you are weak, or I am strong willed... because I am not esspecially. I am just trying to make you understand the kind of mentality that can make you a good fighter, always push yourself further then you think you can...

Reala
11-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Ok... you plan for the next lesson as by Reala...

Do download I mean buy... :rolleyes: some uplifting kinda music... whether you go for Limp Bizkit or DMX, get something that really, really gets you pumped up and ready to give out an ass kicking. I personally like DMX, but I also have some other good stuff. Get in there and let it all fly for the first 30 seconds, you will find an oppertunity to take him down or hit him probably, then go about pacing yourself and taking him down, then at the last 30 seconds throw it all out again.

Lol, yeah I can understand the powerlifting part, I do weights the same morning as I do kickboxing nights sometimes and I feel it. I still try to push past it though... and I think that becomes a big part of your endurence... I'd say 75% is physical 25% is mental... and it takes a heck of a lot less than 25% to win a fight sometimes.

KingJustin
11-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah your right, when I was tired I should of kept going but it was more of a introductory.

Its hard for me to go balls to the wall because im still powerlifting and lifting heavy almost everyday, its going to be hard to excel at both so sometime in the future im going to have to make a choice. I would of went the extra limit but if I couldnt keep my guard up my face would get hurt, it wasnt just a endurance run. Couldnt risk throwing off a powerlifting meet I got this weekend aswell.

Im gonna start with alot of jumprope and sprinting and doing some polymetrics and all after my weightlifting to fatigue my muscles and push them to a point of developing high muscular endurance. Gonna go around picking fights at parties to develop some experience too.... jk.
Aside from the fact that you have a lot more potential across the board, you're in the same boat as me here. I'm trying to do bodybuilding, powerlifting and MMA all together to some extent. My advice is that you wait until you don't have any competitions coming up, and then start training MMA and back off the weights a little for a couple weeks. Then go back to normal and make the MMA secondary. Just learn the techniques and try not to kill yourself in practice (most gyms will still push you, but you can probably sandbag a little). Once you become a powerhouse, you will have your skill built up a considerable amount and then you can start working on really sport-specific stuff.

It's basically long-term Western periodization, but I think it's a good plan. You're going to be a heavyweight, and you might as well get the strength and size gains before you start competing and then go in with that huge edge. Cardio and explosiveness can be built pretty quickly when size and strength are already there.

Jinkies
11-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I figure if I keep hitting the weightroom and adding more plates to the bar I shouldn't lose strength. On my off days ill do some weighted conditioning like today for example.

30 rep squats
135x30
135x30
135x30
155x30

Not enough weight to break my legs down but enough to develop some muscular endurance. Then 3 days later on my leg day im fully rested and ready to pack on heavy weight. I might throw in some more ab work and some punching but mostly im going to be doing some time on the bleachers.

As for arms I need to get me a speed bag, im doing explosive movements like behind the neck pushpress trying to get some full body force. I really don't see a reason why I can't be strong and conditioned; I don't believe they are 2 different things but perhaps can be connected if done right. If i have more musclar endurance I can lift the weight im doing now for more reps thus developing stronger legs. I won't sacrifice anything off my big 3 keeping those low reps but afterwords will be a muscular endurance run. Right now im going for function and looks will follow as a side effect; It should help me burn away the unwanted fat and a little jump rope here and there never hurt anyone. As long as I train right, I should be okay with some sparring here and there. I won't be doing any long distance running but mostly explosive power and getting my heart in better condition.

KingJustin
11-17-2006, 10:56 AM
I would be careful not to do too much running-type stuff by itself. You won't train your energy systems the right way and this can make a huge difference.

Also, I don't think you're going to be overworking your muscles by doing MMA or high rep circuits or anything, but if you're on a split that already has a lot of workouts you might risk overtraining. I don't know how you have it set up right now. If it's just a 4-day-a-week routine then you'll be fine.