PDA

View Full Version : Sugar on a Refeed day?

ADT
11-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Here are the stats:

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 191
BF%: No clue. (Starting to see my abs...)
Current cycle: Cutting

Calories per day: 1700 - 2100 (Currently averaging around 1850)
Fat per day: 90g - 110g
Protein per day: 190g - 210g
Carbs per day: 35g - 100g (Currently averaging 86 - I eat "clean")
Sugar per day: Under 25g

1) I have done low carb weeks with a refeed on one of the seven days. I have done refeeds with lots of oatmeal, Fiber One, bagels, tons of vegetables, etc.

2) I have done other refeeds where I have eaten Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, organic sugary treats such as organic pop tarts, organic cookies, organic snack bars, etc.

My question is, Do I need the sugar to kick start my metabloism every week? I am really not sure at this point. During both types of refeeds, my results have not been completely clear. I have done searches and read other articles on refeeds and I cannot come to the conclusion of whether or not sugar is needed for a "proper" refeed. The reason I ask specifically about sugar is because my daily intake of carb grams and sugar grams are amazingly low.

Anyone care to comment or have suggestions?

Best,
Andrew

Unreal
11-16-2006, 10:08 AM
You don't need sugar. Eating clean carbs such as oats, sweet potatoes, etc will stimulate leptin levels and all the stuff you want on a refeed. Now refeed is something that is misunderstood. I don't think you need a refeed unless 2200-2500 is far under your maintence. Refeeds are for diets such as UD2.0, PSMF, and extreme diets. If you are just running a slight caloric deficit a weekly refeed is probably just hindering your results.

TheGimp
11-16-2006, 12:24 PM
If you are just running a slight caloric deficit a weekly refeed is probably just hindering your results.

Depends on the size of the deficit and the size of the refeed.

Unreal
11-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Like I said, if it is a slight deficit. If your only 300-400 below maintence then going 1500+ over on a "refeed" day then your going to be cutting painfully slow. Refeeds are part of a structured extreme low cal diet. "Refeeds" on a more normal cutting diet are called cheats. Unless your running 1000+ cal a day deficit I don't seem them as needed weekly.

TheGimp
11-16-2006, 12:41 PM
If it's a slight deficit he can have a small refeed, perhaps a single cheat meal. There's a definite correlation between size of deficit and how long and how much to refeed.

EDIT: Just wanted to add bodyfat % is another important factor in the need to refeed.

ddegroff
11-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Cheat meals are different than refeeds.

Try and limit your carb sources to complex carbs, but sugar wont hurt you.

D Breyer
11-16-2006, 04:32 PM
If I remember correctly, according to Lyle, much better results are acheived by keeping sucrose levels to a minimum.

TheGimp
11-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Cheat meals are different than refeeds.

How so?

ADT
11-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I am in a significant caloric deficit. (Sorry, I thought that was obvious from the statistics mentioned in the origninal post.)

I guess I was under the impression that during any low carb and (relatively) low calorie diet or cut that you needed a refeed. Maybe I am reading too much on other internet sites...:confused:

Best,
Andrew