PDA

View Full Version : Question For Berardi Nutrition Proponents

KingJustin
11-16-2006, 01:28 PM
I've been reading a few of Berardi's articles on nutrition recently.

AFAIK, he recommends eating a protein/fats up until you workout, along with fruits and vegetables. For 3 hours after you workout, your energy levels are high and so you eat a ton of protein/carbs (not necessarily from just vegetables/fruits at this point) for awhile, and then you go back to what you were doing with high protein/good fats and fruits/vegetables.

This doesn't seem all that big of a jump from what everyone else recommends except for the getting your "morning" carbs strictly from fruits and veggies. Unless I'm mistaken, fruits/veggies tend to have very few complex carbs and are instead mainly sugars and that stuff, which tends to get burnt pretty quick. Thus, you aren't getting a lot of energy for your workout it would seem. Most everyone else recommends eating protein/complex carbs in the morning so that you're getting energy that will be more time-released and you'll be able to use it later.

Why does he recommend this?

Slim Schaedle
11-16-2006, 04:45 PM

AFAIK, he recommends eating a protein/fats up until you workout, along with fruits and vegetables. For 3 hours after you workout, your energy levels are high and so you eat a ton of protein/carbs (not necessarily from just vegetables/fruits at this point) for awhile, and then you go back to what you were doing with high protein/good fats and fruits/vegetables.

This doesn't seem all that big of a jump from what everyone else recommends except for the getting your "morning" carbs strictly from fruits and veggies. Unless I'm mistaken, fruits/veggies tend to have very few complex carbs and are instead mainly sugars and that stuff, which tends to get burnt pretty quick. Thus, you aren't getting a lot of energy for your workout it would seem. Most everyone else recommends eating protein/complex carbs in the morning so that you're getting energy that will be more time-released and you'll be able to use it later.

The whole "sugar burns quickly" thing is such a miscontrued media whatever-you-wanna-call-it.

Although I thought the same until I was better edumacted.

If a cell's "energy charge" (such as the amount glycogen it has stored) is low or inadequate, then carbohydrate, glucose, sugar, whateva, will be converted to glycogen for future use.

This is why it is possible to carb-load on diets such as UD2, or to use high sugar (glucose) shakes after working out.

Of course "sugar" is half fructose so that part is very different. But that is a whole different thread that I already been discussed at length.

Now, if your muscle cells are happily bulging with glycogen and about to burst, then you have a pretty good idea what is going to happen to that extra carbohydrate and/or sugar.

They really need to come out change "sugar is a fast acting energy source" to "sugar is a fast absorbing energy source and could get you in a world of **** if you aren't carefull."

Slim Schaedle
11-16-2006, 04:48 PM

As far as loading up on fruit prior to a workout, I don't know what the exact logic in that is considering the metabolic pathways of fructose.

But, I am not very familiar with Berardi's material so I can't comment on more.

Vapour Trails
11-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Fruits/Veggies don't have serious quantites of carbs so the fact that they contain sugars rather than complex carbs is not such a big deal. Plus, they come with fiber, slowing digestion.

"Unless I'm mistaken, fruits/veggies tend to have very few complex carbs and are instead mainly sugars and that stuff, which tends to get burnt pretty quick. Thus, you aren't getting a lot of energy for your workout it would seem. Most everyone else recommends eating protein/complex carbs in the morning so that you're getting energy that will be more time-released and you'll be able to use it later."

The energy for workouts comes mostly from stored glycogen. If you are topped up, then eating starches before a workout is not going to improve performance. You can consume carbs during a workout to start replenishing immediately though.