PDA

View Full Version : Protein shake suitable for meal replacement?

pete223
11-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Is a protein shake (with around 900 calories and 50g protien) a suitable replacement for (extra) meals (I still eat lunch and dinner)? I usually have one in the morning, and one between lunch and dinner, then one after my workout at night. I can always force one down but I can't seem to take in as many calories in regular food, but i'm not sure if I really am losing out by not eating more meals during the day. (i'm trying to put on a lot of mass)

AzBboy
11-16-2006, 09:22 PM
I been bulking off a high shake diet too, and haven't had anything negative. I'm already up 11lbs and only been bulking 6 weeks. I'm with you, eating 6 huge meals a day not only leads me to HATING food, but I cant sit there and eat every 3 hours. Make sure your still getting your vitamins tho, take a multi, and use lots of wholesome foods to make up your shakes like natty, oats, flaxseed, nuts, and fruits, that way your still getting the goodness of a real-food diet.

Holto
11-16-2006, 09:39 PM
I think as a general rule you want some fiber in the morning.

If you want to drink your breakfast then grind some oatmeal.

pete223
11-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Glad to hear it's working for you AzB; i'd love to put on 11 pounds in 6 weeks! I'm at college and really busy with schoolwork all the time so it's tough to get enough fruits and veggies always, but I can probably stock up on oatmeal and nonperishables like that.

RedSpikeyThing
11-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Glad to hear it's working for you AzB; i'd love to put on 11 pounds in 6 weeks! I'm at college and really busy with schoolwork all the time so it's tough to get enough fruits and veggies always, but I can probably stock up on oatmeal and nonperishables like that.

As I say to everyone, NUTS AND SEEDS. They are crazy calorie dense, cheap and nonperishable. I'm in college and eat 1 cup or so of nuts and seeds a day. It's like 800 cals right there.