PDA

View Full Version : Why Natural Peanut Butter?

pepsihatman
11-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Why do people recommend eating natural peanutbutter over the standard stuff?

Natural peanut butter is rather expensive and I'd like to avoid having to spend the extra $2 on every jar (I eat a lot of peanut butter. so it would add up quickly). I do not have access to any bulk supply stores currently, but when I go home for thanksgiving, I am planning on checking out Sam's club and BJ's Warehouse to see if they have bulk packages of natural peanut butter.

getfit
11-17-2006, 10:52 AM
i rather not have the trans fats.

Unreal
11-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Costco and sams have always had natty cheap. I don't know where your going, but at Alberstons, Smiths, and any local grocery store, there is little to no difference in natty PB prices. As for why, it taste better, and doesn't have transfat.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-17-2006, 11:52 AM
No trans fats...or hydrogenated crap. And it's healthier. Go with natural PB. I also personally think it tastes a LOT better.

pepsihatman
11-17-2006, 01:52 PM
I do enjoy the taste of natural peanut butter. The stuff I buy is Harris Teeter brand and it doesn't have any trans fats in it. It's not natural, but no trans fats. If that's the main reason, then I'd rather stick to the cheaper stuff until I can get to a bulk grocery place like costco (I believe it's the same type of store that Sam's club is here in NC). Money is tight and little things like a few dollars off the grocery bill help out. I'll keep an eye out for natural at a good price though. Thanks people.

Holto
11-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Basically nothing that is added to regular peanut butter is good for us.

piff
11-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Essensia's natural peanut butter is not much more expensive than 'regular' peanut butter ($2.79 for a 16oz jar) and it tastes great

betastas
11-17-2006, 10:46 PM
If it doesn't have trans fats added, it's probably natural.
The ingredients should look like this: Peanuts (maybe salt).

That's natural.

Altephor
11-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Well it'll have oil too.

What's the concensus on SKippy natural peanut butter. Says you don't have to stir it (even though sometimes you do a little), but I was wondering why? The ingredients seem to check out alright.

hacksaw jim
11-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Give natural peanut butter a try for 5 jars. Then try to go back to peter pan or whatever you were eating before. My guess, it won't happen, you'll have to stick with natural b/c it taste so much better. I ran out the other day and took a tablespoon of my son's Peter Pan and almost spit it out!!!!

Better for you and nice on the taste buds...

zen
11-19-2006, 06:17 AM
wow, I never even thought about natural peanut butter before seeing this thread, but I do remember looking at the side of a peanut butter jar and wondering why the hell they gotta put all that crap in there when it's really just needs to be creamed peanuts and maybe an emulsifier.

-Maverick-
11-19-2006, 08:43 PM
How much peanut butter do you guys take? I'm kind of concerned in the amount of fat it has. On the nutritional table on the back, 1 tbs has 12% of the daily recommended amount. I know you guys eat alot of it, but isn't it somewhat unhealthy to have 10+ tbs of the stuff a day?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-19-2006, 09:14 PM
How much peanut butter do you guys take? I'm kind of concerned in the amount of fat it hasIt's a healthy fat source. And dietary fat is good for you and should not be avoided.

11-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I do enjoy the taste of natural peanut butter. The stuff I buy is Harris Teeter brand and it doesn't have any trans fats in it. It's not natural, but no trans fats. If that's the main reason, then I'd rather stick to the cheaper stuff until I can get to a bulk grocery place like costco (I believe it's the same type of store that Sam's club is here in NC). Money is tight and little things like a few dollars off the grocery bill help out. I'll keep an eye out for natural at a good price though. Thanks people.

but does it have hydrogenated oils or sugar? those are other things u dont want in ur pb

BakedWafer
11-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Well it'll have oil too.

What's the concensus on SKippy natural peanut butter. Says you don't have to stir it (even though sometimes you do a little), but I was wondering why? The ingredients seem to check out alright.

Science my friend, science.

BFGUITAR
11-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I saw this thread and it reminded me of the peanut butter my mom gave me as a little kid.
I just bought a jar recently :D

Its actually made by Kraft. All natural, so it says.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-20-2006, 01:00 PM
but does it have hydrogenated oils or sugar? those are other things u dont want in ur pbUm...no. There are no hydrogenated oils in natural peanut butter. And there's like 6g of carbs in the natural peanut butter I use.

Altephor
11-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Science my friend, science.

Science? That doesn't answer my question at all.

It has no hydrogenated oils, which keep normal PB together, so why don't you have to stir the skippy natural PB?

11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Um...no. There are no hydrogenated oils in natural peanut butter. And there's like 6g of carbs in the natural peanut butter I use.

sorry i guess i wasnt clear I was asking pepsi if there was hydrogenated oils or sugar in the harris teeter brand pb they buy- two othe things they would not want in their pb other then the trans fats

i ONLY eat natty pb- love it

pepsihatman
11-20-2006, 07:03 PM
sorry i guess i wasnt clear I was asking pepsi if there was hydrogenated oils or sugar in the harris teeter brand pb they buy- two othe things they would not want in their pb other then the trans fats

i ONLY eat natty pb- love it

The Harris Teeter peanut butter has "Peanuts, sugar, fully hydrogenated vegetable oil (rapeseed, cottonseed and soybean), molasses, salt."

2 tbsp = 200 calories, 16 grams fat (3 saturated, 0 trans), 140mg sodium, 6g carbs (2 fiber, 3 sugar), 7g protein.

So not exactly ideal. I will research the natural peanut butter option. (aka. go find cheap souces of it)

piff
11-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Science? That doesn't answer my question at all.

It has no hydrogenated oils, which keep normal PB together, so why don't you have to stir the skippy natural PB?

It has palm oil which is what keeps it from seperating. They also add sugar.

If stirring the peanut butter is a problem, just throw it in the refrigerator after the initial stir - it won't seperate again

Howard 9
11-24-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't know, but my PB i am using right now is JIF, defintely now natural PB i am guessing and it says it has 0g trans fat.

piff
11-24-2006, 08:52 PM
JIF is not natural peanut butter

Howard 9
11-25-2006, 12:16 AM
JIF is not natural peanut butter
I kno, I am just saying it has 0g trans fat.

I meant to say 'not' not 'now'.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-25-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't think peanut butter has trans fat. It's the hydrogenated crap that you need to worry about in regular peanut butter.

RichMcGuire
11-25-2006, 01:14 PM
What brands are natural peanut butter? I was eating Jiff and that has 0g trans fats..is that natural? The only thing my grandma was worried about was cholesterol. I noticed that my brand of creamy jiff has 3g of saturated fats. Isnt that the bad fat they have to label? and, will this give someone high blood pressure or cholesterol? I primised my grandma id ask since shes worried :P but id hate to give up this PB...it has an extra 190 calories that i throw onto my meals when im already full. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-25-2006, 01:28 PM
What brands are natural peanut butter?It will say "natural peanut butter" on it. Smucker's makes regular AND natural peanut butter, for instance. It's not necessarily the brand. Just look for "natural peanut butter" on the label.

pepsihatman
11-26-2006, 10:23 AM
What brands are natural peanut butter? I was eating Jiff and that has 0g trans fats..is that natural? The only thing my grandma was worried about was cholesterol. I noticed that my brand of creamy jiff has 3g of saturated fats. Isnt that the bad fat they have to label? and, will this give someone high blood pressure or cholesterol? I primised my grandma id ask since shes worried :P but id hate to give up this PB...it has an extra 190 calories that i throw onto my meals when im already full. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Saturated fats will tell your body to produce cholesterol. The recommended amount per day is around 20g or less. The less, the better.

piff
11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
It will say "natural peanut butter" on it. Smucker's makes regular AND natural peanut butter, for instance. It's not necessarily the brand. Just look for "natural peanut butter" on the label.

But becareful because some brands claim to be 'natural' but actually add crap to prevent the peanut oil from seperating. Natural peanut butter is going to have two ingrediants: peanuts and salt. That's it. So your best bet is to just check the ingrediants.

I go with Essensia natural peanut butter cause it's only $2.79 which is right on par with 'regular' peanut butter