PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Weight Certification

Hazerboy
11-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Just wondering if they're doing this in any other states besides missouri...

Every wrestler, Varsity and Junior Varsity, has to get certified for whatever weight they want to wrestle. What happens is a trainer from another school comes to give your team a series of tests. First you're given a hydration test, you pee into a cub and they use a refractometer to see if you're hydrated. If you're not you must come back and test another day. Surprisingly half our team didn't pass this test and they weren't even cutting weight.

After the first test you're weighed in. From here they use Lange calipers to check your body fat in three different places, three times each. I'm assuming they average these scores.

Finally they plug all this into a computer to see how much weight you can loose. Males aren't allowed below 7 percent bodyfat and females aren't allowed below 12. If you're at the minimum body fat percentage you must be within .9 of a lb of the weight class you want to wrestle. (For instance if you want to wrestle 103 and you have 7% bodyfat you must weigh 103.9). There are also some rules regarding how quickly you can loose bodyfat between weigh ins.

This means they aren't allowing you to cut ANY water weight; for instance if you weigh 174 and you want to wrestle 171 but you have 7% bodyfat, must wrestle at 189, even though its incredibly easy to loose 3 lbs of water weight. You can, however, challange the system and get retested by a different trainer, and somehow I think you can wrestle at a lower weightclass if you have a doctor's note or something. I'm not really sure how that all works but its pretty tight in terms of rulings.

Personally I'm all for the new rulings. I weighed in at 169 with around 7-8% bodyfat and I'm sure they won't let me drop to 160, even though I probably could. Last year I dropped from 168 at the beginning of the season to 154 and I honestly didn't wrestle any better. My teammates, however, are all pretty pissed about they new system; they don't seem to understand that they will all be wrestling about the same people, just at a higher weight class.

Here is the website with the official rules: http://www.mshsaa.org/News/index.asp?ID=1097

I'm sure there will be some ways to get around the ruling for the more competitive teams (Oak Park high school, for instance, who is IN MY CONFERENCE, is ranked in the top five high school teams in the nation. I bet they'll find some way to get around it). If it were up to me, they'd just add 2 lbs to every weight class and put the scale at the edge of the mat. You'd weigh in with all your gear on, shake hands and wrestle. No one wants to wrestle dehydrated or hungry, and even a weigh in 2 hours before your match gives you some time to get there. There wouldn't be any way to cheat this method and you'd know they guy you're wrestling actually weighs at whatever weight class you're in.

Anthony
11-18-2006, 01:41 PM
It seems like a complicated way of stopping kids from cutting weight.

I would love to see everyone (kids and pros) forced to weigh-in directly before the fight. It would definitely discourage any last minute cutting/dehydration.

NewTriathlete
11-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I agree, these are very good changes. They went into place in college after 1995 when 3 wrestlers died trying to make weight all within a week of each other. I've seen more wrestlers hurt trying to cut weight and gassing than I've seen drop a lot a weight and have a power advantage, and you are able to wrestle much better if you are hydrated and eat. I've actually been in favor of mat side weight ins for a while too, but it isn't like you can really absorb a lot of nutrients in an hour, so the current system is pretty similiar.

That said, there are ways to manipulate the system. In the example of the person weighing 174 wanting to wrestle 171, they would probably have to cut to 169 that day and suck down 1.5 liters of nothing but cold water (if I remember correctly cold water will pass through your system quicker and less will be bed) and consume NO salt whatsoever. Passing hydration is a bitch, I was a heavyweight bulking hardcore and it took me 3 tries (multi-vits will screw up the results, stop taking them for a while before you are tested).

Just know this though, even though your teammates will bitch, they are really just trying to be tough. No one really likes sucking weight.

Hazerboy
11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Thats the thing though - He'll either cut to 169 and have too low of bodyfat, or he'll cut water weight to 169 and be dehydrated. Either way he woulnd't pass the test. If he cuts water weight before the hydration test, then drinks lots of cold water to pass he'll just weigh more and they won't let him wrestle 171 anyways.

They only way to really dupe the system is to either use someone elses urine or starve yourself the day off, so you won't have any food weight in you. They can't tell if you're hungry or not.

NewTriathlete
11-18-2006, 05:36 PM
if he weights in at 171 and is hydrated, he will pass. Like you said, if your BF is at or below 7% and you are hydrated and you make weight, they'll certify you.

The other thing is that if he doesn't eat for a day, he'll lose weight without loosing fat b/c he'll just lose the weight of the food in his stomach/system.

Bamm
11-19-2006, 11:15 AM
They did this in Iowa to. I weighed in at 190 at the weight in and i had just ate a huge breakfast pancakes eggs bacon everything and the next day i weighed at like 186. I wrestle 171 so i have to miss 4 meets before i can drop down to 171 im at like 178 right now and i still have 5 weeks to do it.

Anyway with the hydration test if you were dehydrated you just passed your cup onto another person :)

Hazerboy
11-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Bamm what was your bodyfat?

ArchAngel777
11-21-2006, 07:19 AM
It seems like a complicated way of stopping kids from cutting weight.

I would love to see everyone (kids and pros) forced to weigh-in directly before the fight. It would definitely discourage any last minute cutting/dehydration.

Totally agree... I was going to post on this a few months ago. I think weigh-ins for any sport should be done right before the performance. It is total BS to weigh in several hours before the actual game/match/lift, etc...

leafy2
11-26-2006, 11:29 PM
ya i had to take that test last wednesday (day b4 thanksgiving), im out in LA county California, but i only had to take the hydration test

jdeity
11-28-2006, 09:06 AM
in MA we had early season weigh ins that we couldn't sway too far from, can't remember the numbers, but they were there, you couldn't just drop 6 classes if you wanted to.

Bamm
11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
I dont know what my body fat was they never gave it to us they just told us how many pounds we could lose a week and ive got 3 pounds im down to 175 i would imangine my bf was very high due to i have no abs at all.

russianwol
11-29-2006, 02:08 PM
I wonder if you are at like 5% bodyfat - lean machine! Are they gonna tell you "You'r too lean man... gotta get fat!" :-D

D Bay
11-30-2006, 06:35 PM
We have it in Ohio, too, and I think most other states where wrestling is big. I certified aat 6% bf, but I'm only 93 lbs (wrestling varsity, so im 10 lbs under) so it doesn't really matter. The hydration thing is tough, though, i rarely drink as much water as you need to.

emceepal
11-30-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm in Ohio too, they said I had 36%BF, damn, I didn't think it would be that much. :(

cpc5304
12-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Go to www.ohiowrestlingsite.com, they have an article on how to beat the hydration test.