PDA

View Full Version : this sounds outrageous, lots lots of protein

jj4465
11-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I just recently met one of my long time friends and he said he had started lifting about 5-6 months ago. As we talked I could see he had definately gotten bigger. He had definately bigger muscles than before. We were talking about how we worked out and our diets. He said he tries to eat around 600 grams of protein a day?!?! I thought this was way too much considering he probably weights 190-210lbs. I was always told 1-1.5 grams times your body weight. I also heard its not good to each lots and lots of protein at one time because your body cant digest all the protein at once, thats why its good to eat lots of meals during the day. I try to eat 30-50 grams of protein in every meal, but i only weight around 170. Is what hes doing a good way to gain adequate muscle or is he over doing it? Also, am i right about how protein is digested? Thanks guys

RedSpikeyThing
11-18-2006, 04:53 PM
There is no such thing as too much protein. Keep in mind that 600 g of protein = ~2400 calories, which would help anybody gain weight.

And no, there is no maximum amount of protein the body can digest in one sitting. Hell, your body doesn't even know what a "sitting" is.
Many small meals is mostly a comfort thing - bulking on three meals would suck bad and cutting with three meals woule make you hungry between meals.

Jinkies
11-18-2006, 05:25 PM
There is no such thing as too much protein. Keep in mind that 600 g of protein = ~2400 calories, which would help anybody gain weight.

And no, there is no maximum amount of protein the body can digest in one sitting. Hell, your body doesn't even know what a "sitting" is.
Many small meals is mostly a comfort thing - bulking on three meals would suck bad and cutting with three meals woule make you hungry between meals.

There actually is a maxmium ammount, from what ive heard it ranges between 40-65 grams. Your body cannot process more then a given ammount ( determined by many factors im sure) and the rest just passes through.

600 grams of protein is excessive depending on how his diet is spread out.

Davidelmo
11-18-2006, 05:35 PM
It depends what you mean by "process."

You'll never get 100% of the protein you eat to go to your muscles, but as for digestion, your body WILL digest everything you eat even if you eat 200g of protein in one sitting. Unless there's something wrong with your digestive system it won't pass out whole and undigested.

Warrior10
11-18-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm not even gonna try to explain anything. That's a hell of a lot of protein. He must have a pretty deep outhouse.

AzBboy
11-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Alot of people swear that the 1-1.5 gram per pound of bodyweight rule is the bare MINIMUM you should be taking in. I know loads of heads that exceed that rule by a ton and have the guns to show for it. If he's gotten noticably bigger, he's obviously found something that works for him, so tweaking his diet at this point would be kinda pointless when its already proven effective.

Songsangnim
11-19-2006, 12:09 AM
(1) There is no such thing as too much protein. Keep in mind that 600 g of protein = ~2400 calories, which would help anybody gain weight.

(2) And no, there is no maximum amount of protein the body can digest in one sitting. Hell, your body doesn't even know what a "sitting" is.

1. Too much of anything is bad for you. 600 grams of protein is not necessary, however it is not bad unless with that amount he is not able to take in other nutrients like healthy fat. Also it depends on his protein sources. If he is eating high fat sources like steak that could present a health problem.

2. Depends on what you mean by "digest". Your body will digest all the food it eats. If you eat too much the excess will be stored as fat.

Songsangnim
11-19-2006, 12:22 AM
http://milk.elehost.com/html/why_does_calcuim_leave_the_bon.html

With 600 grams he might have a problem, according to several scientific studies and journals.

RedSpikeyThing
11-19-2006, 08:44 AM
1. Too much of anything is bad for you. 600 grams of protein is not necessary, however it is not bad unless with that amount he is not able to take in other nutrients like healthy fat. Also it depends on his protein sources. If he is eating high fat sources like steak that could present a health problem.

2. Depends on what you mean by "digest". Your body will digest all the food it eats. If you eat too much the excess will be stored as fat.

1. I agree. He asked about the protein, not his diet overall.

2. Agreed. It doesn't pass straight through you like previous posters were saying.

EDIT: I knew I had seen this as a myth before. http://www.bodybuilding.net/nutrition-forum/thirty-grams-of-protein-myth-3241.html Also, search....this has been talked about lots.