PDA

View Full Version : PSMF diet thread!

Randy
11-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Hiya again! Sorry for posting so many times today, got an important question though :D I'm on a PSMF diet, and am taking only 6scoops of Dymatize protein per day. I have around 3-4 cups of tea a day too, with a bit of milk in them. Will this affect my diet much due to the carbs in milk? Or is the calorie deficit enough to sustain this?

Also, if there are any successful PSMF'ers out there with a bit of advice for lil old me, i'd be really grateful :)

Thanks guys!
Randy
xoxoxoxox

Unreal
11-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Read the book.

Randy
11-18-2006, 04:52 PM
I have! I've got it now but can't find anything about it

Randy
xoxoxoxox

TheGimp
11-18-2006, 05:54 PM
If you've read the book then why are you just eating protein shakes rather than eating proper meals with fibrous veggies? What about fish oil caps?

Regarding the tea, I'm sure you can get away with it. However my personal preference on such diets is to have everything inch perfect, and I'd recommend you switch to green or white tea for the antioxidant content and lack of milk.

jft9120
11-18-2006, 06:20 PM
is this the diet where u can lose fat really quickly? link for the book if so?

TheGimp
11-18-2006, 06:29 PM
is this the diet where u can lose fat really quickly? link for the book if so?

www.bodyrecomposition.com

jft9120
11-18-2006, 08:14 PM
does it work?

Randy
11-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Thanks TheGimp! I'm going all out on whey powder, i can cope with the hunger pangs and i don't like fibrous veggies :( I want to buy some fish oil capsules and multivitamins but they seem quite expensive and i can't find anywhere that sells them in bulk :(

Thanks!
Randy
xoxoxoxox

Randy
11-19-2006, 05:13 AM
And it's English breakfast tea all the way! Thanks for the info :)

Randy
xoxoxoxo

Davidelmo
11-19-2006, 05:39 AM
You might as well use a protein blend instead of whey-only. It will fill your stomach a bit more and it takes longer to digest.

If I'm 100% honest, it doesn't sound like you've read the book. If you haven't read it, do not attempt this diet. You will be on a fast track to muscle loss and crashing your metabolism.

Randy
11-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I have read it, i saw Organichu's thread and he used only Nitrean. I am doing what Lyle reccomends; I guess im about 22~24%bf, possibly a bit less. I am refeeding for 5hours once every 5 days and having one cheat meal per week, also i am not dieting for any longer than 12 days before i take 2 days off and resume. Is there anything else i should be doing?

Routine = Rippetoes starting strength x2/week, lifting heavy.

Thanks!

Randy
xoxoxox

TheGimp
11-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Get those fish oil caps. They're essential, just like the name says.

I don't think a shake only diet is the best way to go about this, and I certainly don't think a whey shake only diet is acceptable. Whey is rapidly digested and will leave you feeling unsatisfied, especially with the lack of fibrous veggies.

Bikkstah
11-19-2006, 10:55 AM
You definitely need a multivitamin if you're only eating shakes. You should get a trisource blend like Nitrean and also consider solid foods like chicken breasts or tuna.

Randy
11-19-2006, 02:01 PM
i don't mind the feeling unsatisfied part, but aside from that, is there any downside to going 100% whey? I'll buy the fish oil caps/multivitamins tomorrow

Thanks!

Randy
xoxoxoxox

Unreal
11-19-2006, 02:50 PM
If you have the book you know your messing this all up. Read it again.

Randy
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I've read it, three weeks back and just the other day. Can you tell me where i'm going wrong instead of reciting that tedious mantra 'Read the book' over and over again, is 'having read the book' some kind of mystical state that automatically conduces PSMF success?

I spent £30 on ordering it from the USA because it's not available over here, and i *have* read it, twice. Where am i going wrong? I'm not eating fibrous veggies or lean meats, i'm getting the fish oil/multivits tomorrow, but whey powder is fundamentally protein right? If you're gonna post, please be more helpful :/

I hate to sound rude but those unhelpful comments really get my goat.

a rather miffed Randy
xoxoxoxox

Randy
11-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Ookay, notching protein intake up to 200g/day. Also gonna buy some lean chicken breast and munch on some fibrous veggies from time to time if i'm feeling hungry. With 6g of fish oil a day and a multivit, does this look ok now?

I would of thought that there is no difference between fast digested protein and slow digested, so long as it was ingested. Am i wrong?

thanks,
Randy!
xoxoxoxoxox

TheGimp
11-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Where am i going wrong? I'm not eating fibrous veggies or lean meats

Right there :) But it sounds like you are coming round.

I'm pretty sure that flooding your amino acid pool in the fashion that whey protein does will result in more of the protein being used as carbohydrate.

I'm a vegetarian so it's pretty difficult for me to follow the lean meats + veggies approach, but my shakes were slow digesting micellar casein.

Organichu
11-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Why would you use a whey-only variant? I find that Nitrean is far more satisfying.

Unholy
11-20-2006, 12:40 AM
Also, fish oil caps are dirt cheap. You can pick em up at any supermarket or pharmacy same goes with generic multivitamins

Randy
11-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Ahh ok :) I'll mish out today and buy some meat/veggies/fish oil/multivits. If i replace the whey with lean meats and chew on veggies, will i be on the right track?

Thanks!
Randy
xoxoxoxoxox

Randy
11-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far btw, keep em comin! :)

Randy
xoxoxo

jamrock
11-20-2006, 05:46 AM
The PSMF is not really a PSMF, its just based on it. Lyle's is more of a modified PSMF, the difference in him modifying and you doing it is he knows what he is doing (not to mention research).

Do the book as the book says, exactly as the book says if you want to do his diet. If not, look into the Velocity Diet on t-nation. Based on PSMF but liquid, they suggest a bunch of supps but it's doable without.

What category do you fall in?

What are the macros the book tells you to use?

If you are going to replace a meal or two with a shake I'd suggest using Nitrean, it's a blend of proteins that will digest slower and keep your hunger more balanced than just whey or casein, keep some veggies to snack on and fill you up.

The book tells you what you can do, everything you feel you need to ask about in regards to adding or taking away is what you can't do. No milk, there is a food list on page 30sumpthin...

Randy
11-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks matey, i think i'm a category 2 dieter @ about 22-23%bf. I can't afford the shipping costs for nitrean else i'd buy it. The hunger itself is not a psychological issue, this is how i understand the case to be. Does being hungry cause metabolic slow-down or something?

Macros are 6g of fish oil, a multivit, and 200g of protein/day.

Looks like i'm gonna be going for lean chicken breast and lean turkey mince.

He doesn't advise the use of whey protein, but give no nutritional downsides to it. Are there studies to say that easily digested proteins get converted to glucose to a greater degree than slowly digested ones? Let me repeat that i am 100% fine with the psychological problems of dieting. I have this kind of mittle-European outlook to such things :D

Thanks! :)

an increasingly grateful Randy
xoxoxoxox

Vapour Trails
11-20-2006, 09:42 AM
As much as possible try to get your protein from whole foods. Whey only around workouts.

The diet breaks could be longer than 2 days. I went 2 weeks on the diet, 10 days at roughly maintenance, then another 2 weeks on.

Don't worry about a little milk or sugar in tea/coffee, its insignificant. In my case, coffee really helped me stay on the diet, reducing hunger (caffeine) and giving me something to occupy myself.

Randy
11-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Alright, thanks for all your help :) Just went out shopping and stocked up on liver/kidneys, didn't realise such tasty protein was so cheap and low in fat! Not as lean as chicken breat or tuna, but far less costly than chicken breast and far tastier than tuna :D

Randy
xoxoxox

jamrock
11-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I can handle the hunger pains, the EC stack makes work outs bearable. Being at such low calories and dragging ass for the first couple of weeks it just makes work outs more productive and curbs any cravings. It's that, or the weirdest craving for chocolate covered pretzels and redbull before a work out..

That line about whey is Lyle's info for doing his diet in a liquid version. Point is that powder digests way too fast, you will be hungrier faster and more often than when doing it with solids. It's obvious it can be done with liquid, he is just letting you know its a hard road to follow with no benefit other than saving yourself a few minutes of meal prep time. If you do try it by the book but take your protein in shakes make a log, something definite like what you would like to be reading right now before you try it. Makes it easier to inform others.

Let me know if you need anything.

Randy
11-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Will do - thanks a lot for your help ;)

Randy
xoxoxox

TheGimp
11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I can't afford the shipping costs for nitrean else i'd buy it.

You might want to check out Reflex brand Micellar Casein from monstersupplements.com (www.monstersupplements.com).

Randy
11-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Will do :) Thanks mate!

Randy
xoxoxox