PDA

View Full Version : The Vertical Project vs. Air Alert

Bassist-Dude
11-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, its been a LOOONG time since I posted around here, but it's basketball season and you know what that means.... vertical gains are on the mind.

While browsing YouTube, I came across something called The Vertical Project, I checked out the site and it looked pretty sketchy.
(Heres the linkage: )
Still, if I was able to double my vertical I'd be pretty flippin happy.

Sooo, does anyone on here have any experience with this progam or is it total BS? Should I just stick to Air Alert or forget the whole using a program thing?

(Note: I don't want to dunk in a game, that is rediculus, I'd probably get benched for show-boating anyways)

Thanks for reading!

Majestic
11-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Depth Jumps > Strength Shoes

Depth Jumps while wearing Strength Shoes > jumping rope w/ Strength Shoes

That's all I've got to say on the topic. Sorry!

Bassist-Dude
11-19-2006, 12:56 PM
What are these depth jumps? Are they something I can do without a program, just fitting it into my normal work-out?

And what are strenght shoes?
I don't know much about this sort of thing, only how to play the game and play it well.

KingJustin
11-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Air Alert II worked pretty well for me until my knees started really bothering me. It's a good program.

Some other stuff you generally want to try and work in:
Power cleans
Snatch grip deadlifts
Squats / speed squats
Depth jumps, as was said
Step-Ups with weights

fury
11-22-2006, 10:15 PM
buddy...the best solution is get vertical jump bible..TRUST ME:hump:

CosmicForce
11-23-2006, 02:17 AM
What are these depth jumps?
Top left column under plyometrics.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

235orbust
11-23-2006, 08:08 PM
dont even worry about all these gimmick things as soon as you stop using em your vert will be gone. do all your leg workouts for explosion and youll get better results than all these things combined

teenathlete3030
12-01-2006, 05:35 AM
Get the Vertical Jump Development Bible. It is not a gimmick. It teaches you why good training works, and why gimimcks fail.
Unfortunatley to tell you, the best way to increase your vertical for most people is a combination of weight training and plyometrics, more of one than the other depending on your body type. I would think by looking at your profile that you would need a lot of general strength work. They don't recommend doing high intensity plyos like depth jumps (especially with strength shoes) UNTIL YOU CAN SQUAT AND DEADLIFT 1.5X Bodyweight. Don't worry, strength comes fast on this program.

AceDeuce
12-04-2006, 09:01 AM
I'll 2nd the post above me.

Go to www.higher-faster-sports.com and get the "Vertical Jump Developement Bible". It will be the best thing you can possibly do. Kelly Baggett knows his ****.

teenathlete3030
12-05-2006, 06:32 PM
This spring at the end of track I had about a 22 inch vertical, with a 28 inch running vert. I used the program and now have about a 25-26 inch vertical with a running vert of 30-33". This is also with a weight increase of 20 POUNDS! If I had stayed the same weight, I'm sure my vert would have gone up much more, but I needed the extra muscle. My goal is a 40 inch running vert by Senior year, which is defenitely possible if you know how to train and exactly what you need to do to improve.

ARchgr8
12-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Be careful with any program you go on! I have seen people go on these programs and literally destroy their legs mainly knees. The reason is they either tend to skip forward because its to easy at first or they dont do the exercises right. Personnally I would recommend havin someone show you first hand if you have not attempted an exercise before. These are good programs but you can get better results by doing a more rounded work out.
Ex: Sprint, bike, plyo's, different types of cleans and squats, abs, lunges, etc
I put the bike in their because you need to add in a few low impact workouts here in there. Dont over do it thats the most important thing with these plyo prog's

jump manual
10-13-2010, 01:37 AM
I believe jump manual is better than air alert. I have read a lot about the two programs and I can conclude that jump manual is better than air alert as a whole.

pablonba
11-08-2010, 05:05 PM
One question:

Everybody says: "Dont do plyos until you can squat 1.5 times your bodyweight". That means, working (doing sets) with that weight or just that your max must be at least 1.5 times your bodyweight.

Because my max is 1.6 times my bodyweight, but i work with like 1.1 times my bodyweight.

Thanks

BoAnderson71
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
One question:

Everybody says: "Dont do plyos until you can squat 1.5 times your bodyweight". That means, working (doing sets) with that weight or just that your max must be at least 1.5 times your bodyweight.

Because my max is 1.6 times my bodyweight, but i work with like 1.1 times my bodyweight.

Thanks

you can do plyos

pablonba
11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
you can do plyos

But what would be better?

And another one: i jump higher off one foot. Does normal squats and normal plyos still help me? Or would be better Bulgarian splits or so?