PDA

View Full Version : Protein: Cuts of Meat

jamrock
11-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Hey all, i'm well aware of what I should and shouldn't eat. What I am not sure of is the cuts of red meat I could eat. I really enjoy read meat, as I do chicken and turkey (some fish)...but red meat is probably not soo good for my heart.

What are the cuts I'm looking for when selecting lean red meats? What are some of the fattier ones so that I can be sparse with them?

What about cold cuts, I would think Roast Beef from Boars Head is probably not that bad for a wrap or sandwich daily?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

RedSpikeyThing
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Do you have an existing heart/cholesterol condition?

Eye of round is pretty lean. I'd ask Risk10k. He knows a lot about meat.

jamrock
11-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Do you have an existing heart/cholesterol condition?

Eye of round is pretty lean. I'd ask Risk10k. He knows a lot about meat.

No, but my father does. My mom also has high blood pressure. I don't know how much relates to what but I'd like to not eat too much of the bad stuff...I sort of enjoy fatty meat.

RedSpikeyThing
11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
It is my understanding that, unless you have a pre-existing condition, eating high cholesterol does not produce problems.

Clifford Gillmore
11-22-2006, 05:00 AM
Eye of round is pretty lean.

Piece of round doesn't have an eye, its 3 seperate pieces that have a thick sinew between the C and AB muscles and thin line of sinew between the A and B muscles. Yum.

While red meat does contain LDL (in short, nasty), but avoiding all meat that contains LDL does not mean the human body will make not LDL all on its own. So if you a genetic disposition to have high cholesterol its something you will need to monitor, I'm not sure how often - have a chat to a GP and see what they reccomend.

So, onto the yummy yummy meat.

Steaks;

Nice;
A sirloin/porterhouse or rump steak with the fat trimmed to within 2-3mm is great. Look for pieces of meat that have nice bright bloom, bordering on a bright red - with little to no marbeling (looks like small little lines, verticle to the covering/top fat).

Lean, average

Round, gerello/girello, silverside, topside.

Nice, but fatty

Scotch/Rib-eye, yum for a treat - can have huge runs of fat, look for the leanest you can. T-bones

Crap

Oyster blade, anything marinated, low grade versions of more premium cuts - they tend to fattier and have a 'kidney' taste.

Best

Eye-/Fillet. Get a butcher to cut you enough for one serve, be prepared to pay more than you ever have before for a piece of food. Its not too flavoursome, but it will be lean and almost guranteed tender.

Cold cuts

I don't like them, small good companies have the chance to pump the meat with any number of fluids, marinateds, preservatives, 621, etc. If you must, check the ingredients before purchasing and look for anything over 90-95% meat product. Stick with beef, turkey and real chicken - reconstitution of meat products is another issue completely, I'll talk about how it works if anyone is really interested.

Hope that answers a few questions! :)

IZich
11-22-2006, 04:55 PM
it answered a lot of mine. Thanks for sharing your knowledge :thumbup:

Piece of round doesn't have an eye, its 3 seperate pieces that have a thick sinew between the C and AB muscles and thin line of sinew between the A and B muscles. Yum.

While red meat does contain LDL (in short, nasty), but avoiding all meat that contains LDL does not mean the human body will make not LDL all on its own. So if you a genetic disposition to have high cholesterol its something you will need to monitor, I'm not sure how often - have a chat to a GP and see what they reccomend.

Steaks;

Nice;
A sirloin/porterhouse or rump steak with the fat trimmed to within 2-3mm is great. Look for pieces of meat that have nice bright bloom, bordering on a bright red - with little to no marbeling (looks like small little lines, verticle to the covering/top fat).

Lean, average

Nice, but fatty

Scotch/Rib-eye, yum for a treat - can have huge runs of fat, look for the leanest you can. T-bones

Crap

Oyster blade, anything marinated, low grade versions of more premium cuts - they tend to fattier and have a 'kidney' taste.

Best

Eye-/Fillet. Get a butcher to cut you enough for one serve, be prepared to pay more than you ever have before for a piece of food. Its not too flavoursome, but it will be lean and almost guranteed tender.

Cold cuts

I don't like them, small good companies have the chance to pump the meat with any number of fluids, marinateds, preservatives, 621, etc. If you must, check the ingredients before purchasing and look for anything over 90-95% meat product. Stick with beef, turkey and real chicken - reconstitution of meat products is another issue completely, I'll talk about how it works if anyone is really interested.

jamrock
11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Risk10k: thanks, it's clear enough for me to figure out the rest of what i'm looking for...

now I need to learn what it is supposed to look like so I can pick the best they have at costco/bj's/samsclub.. thanks again

crazedwombat
11-29-2006, 07:24 AM
where does ny york strips fit in your best, nice, crap categories?

ancom41
11-29-2006, 01:01 PM
I can see someone went to steak school :D

Kana
11-29-2006, 01:10 PM

Steaks;

Nice;

Lean, average

Nice, but fatty

Crap

Best

Cold cuts

MY HERO!!!! :)

arnoldsclone
11-29-2006, 01:15 PM
holy crap i'm drooling at work right now! i am cooking a fat steak when i get home goddamnit!:omg: