PDA

View Full Version : Need some critique on my fiance's diet/nutrition (fitday + pics incl.)

jdeity
11-20-2006, 10:54 AM
My fiance was 125lbs, and cut down to 114-117. She made this cut about a year ago (pretty slow under my direction), and has just maintained it since then.

She has three things I am speculating could be related to her diet.

First, she gets MASSIVE headaches, headaches that can make her close to vomiting. She's always got these, so I'm not sure they are related.

Secondly, her nails have bumps/dips that run horizontal across the nail. I'm *sure* I've heard of this as a symptom of a certain deficiency, but can't remember what this indicates.

Last, in the past 4/5 days, she has been getting light spotting, nothing like a period, but very small amounts. The color has been darkening over the past few days. She is on same birth control as the past four years, is not pregnant (confirmed with test), and her last period was finished over a week ago.

For supplements, she takes:
full spectrum, timed release multivitamin / mineral
msm/glucosamine
fish oil (2 pills/day)
cranberry extract
xenadrine nrg (timed release diet pill)
feverfew (herb for helping with headaches, seemed to make progress but then stopped working, so she's off now)
vitamin C
calcium (small dose)

Her fitday averages are:
~1200 calories
43g protein
220g carb
22g fat

the pics attached were maybe two months ago, when she was 114, since then she's up 3lbs.

Anthony
11-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Protein is low.

Fat is low.

Carbs are high.

Overall calories are low.

Check her fitday averages for vitamins/minerals, more than likely you'll find some problems. My guess would be iron and magnesium.

jdeity
11-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Protein is low.

Fat is low.

Carbs are high.

Overall calories are low.

Check her fitday averages for vitamins/minerals, more than likely you'll find some problems. My guess would be iron and magnesium.
If she eats more, she'd gain weight, so essentially you mean she's too skinny then?

We don't enter any micros into fitday, but her vitamins do have 100% iron and 63% magnesium (they're timed release too, so she should be getting a lot from them). Should she supplement those even further? Also, which of the symptoms made you think she was low on those? (EDIT: She only takes a half serving of these 2 pills/day vitamins, so she's only getting 50% iron and 31.5%magnesium. So... start taking both pills daily?)

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Anthony
11-20-2006, 11:48 AM
She's not too skinny, but based on her weight, I think her cals are too low. If she's actually maintaining on that amount, her metabolism could be suppressed (for whatever reason, maybe she dropped cals too fast, maybe she has a thyroid problem, maybe she doesn't exercise enough, etc).

As for the fat and protein, I'd prefer to see her getting 50-60 grams of fat per day and 110-120 grams of protein per day.

I mentioned iron and magnesium because a lot of women are deficient in these.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't say what's causing the headaches or the spotting. Maybe her body fat is low enough to affect her period, maybe her dietary fat is too low and is causing an imbalance with her hormone production, or maybe it's something completely unrelated to diet and training.

I'd start with correcting her diet and then go from there.

Built
11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Anthony nailed it all. Protein and fat are far too low, cals are too low. A young woman at her weight ... I'd be more comfortable seeing maintenance cals in the 1800 a day range.

Fix up her diet first, using Anthony's recommendations. And get her to an endo for thyroid testing.

11-20-2006, 03:38 PM
im with both of them on this one cals, fat and protien are to low carbs to high- if she increaces her calories and lowers her carbs she should not gain weight and if she does it will be muscle not fat.

as far as her period it could be because she is not getting enough fat or because her body fat is so low- when I cut for my show my period stoped completely and about 3-4 weeks after my show when my body fat when back up and fat intake increased they came right back, thats a very common in women body builders when they get so lean

Altephor
11-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Nail textures: Vertical ridges that appear on the nail can indicate disorders as simple as iron deficiency, poor absorption of vitamins and nutrients, overall poor health or they could indicate something as serious as kidney trouble. (So, you see why consulting your physician is so important.) These vertical ridges, as well as bumpy nails, can also suggest that one is prone to developing arthritis. Ridges running horizontally across the nail can indicate physical or mental stress.

Nutrition plays an extremely important role in every function of our bodies, right down to the tips of our fingers and toes, literally. As well as signs of other possible disorders, nails can let us know how we add up when it comes to getting all of our required nutrients.

Since nails are mainly made up of protein, they can immediately alert us to a lack of it in our diet. White lined bands across the nail beds can signal a protein dificiency. You can get protein from beans, oats, seeds, nuts, eggs and lean meats.

From http://wi.essortment.com/fingernailsnutr_rjbo.htm

Buzzsaw
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
xenadrine nrg (timed release diet pill)

Might want to have here ditch this pill for a week or so and see if that solves the problem.

jdeity
11-20-2006, 09:04 PM
im with both of them on this one cals, fat and protien are to low carbs to high- if she increaces her calories and lowers her carbs she should not gain weight and if she does it will be muscle not fat.

:scratch:

I'm confused, if she's eating the same calories every day and maintaining her weight, isn't that the definition of maintenance calories? Wouldn't adding calories automatically add weight?

Our plan of action, right off the bat anyways (don't want to just add 50% more calories right off the bat) is going to be upping the multivitamin intake, and consuming a daily shake (soy protein + flax), which will boost the protein/fat/calorie numbers, and go from there.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-20-2006, 10:23 PM
She's under the magical guise that eliminating carbs will prevent fat gain even with increased calories, which is incorrect.

Lower the carbs and increase the fat and protein if you want her to stay at maintenance.

Built
11-20-2006, 11:14 PM
:withstupi

Although lowering carbs makes it possible to increase protein and fat and not increase the calories. More satisfying, too.

Anthony
11-21-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm confused, if she's eating the same calories every day and maintaining her weight, isn't that the definition of maintenance calories?
If her metabolism is suppressed then you don't have a very accurate view of the situation. Sure, she might be maintaining weight on 1200 calories, but only because her body is in "starvation" mode and its doing everything possible to protect itself.

Wouldn't adding calories automatically add weight?
Not necessarily. If her metabolism is suppressed due to lowering her calories too fast and/or too low, then slowly increasing her calories could help jump start her metabolism again.