PDA

View Full Version : Protien Powder in Milk

Stumprrp
11-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey guys i was browsing the bodybuilding.com forums which blow bigtime but i seen a few people agreeing on that powder in milk is bad and that like the carbs in the milk disolve the protien and all of this crap, this sounds like complete BS to me! i always use milk, and i really dont want to stop?

ideas?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Use milk...perhaps fat free milk (absorption). Why are you browsing their site? Whenever people read crap over there, they come here to confirm if it's stupid or not.

Bohizzle
11-21-2006, 03:03 PM
sounds like bull**** to me

Stumprrp
11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Use milk...perhaps fat free milk (absorption). Why are you browsing their site? Whenever people read crap over there, they come here to confirm if it's stupid or not.

i go to the powerlifting section and i checked out the nutrition section for the heck of it.

i use 1% at home but without powder i drink whole if i can get it.

t3h fat powerbuilder strongman needs cals!! :D

Holto
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey guys i was browsing the bodybuilding.com forums which blow bigtime but i seen a few people agreeing on that powder in milk is bad and that like the carbs in the milk disolve the protien and all of this crap, this sounds like complete BS to me! i always use milk, and i really dont want to stop?

ideas?

Well at least bb.com is good for a laugh. This is the most utterly ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Nosaj
11-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Carbs eat teh proteenz... Oh noes!!1!`

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-21-2006, 03:35 PM
This is the most utterly ridiculous thing I have ever read.:withstupi

superjew18
11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
did anyone else picture a bunch of carbs running around looking like pacman and eating all of the little ghost proteins? maybe it was just me......

Stumprrp
11-21-2006, 03:54 PM
holto i thought the same thing, i was like, what the hell? let me find the thread for you guys
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=610105

some of the arguments are in there..

milk is THE BEST for weight lifting, iono why some people disagree, even when i went to a nutritionist when i was fat she told me drink at least 2-3 cups a day

superjew18
11-21-2006, 03:57 PM
well yeah...milk still contains some of the hormones used to help babies grow. actually, dermatologists are starting to think milk to some degree or another causes acne because of that kind of stuff.

Ruffian
11-21-2006, 04:46 PM
I agree... that is a load of bullcrap if i ever heard it... the only thing I could think of that will reduce the efficacy of protein powder is cooking it....

Man, whoever said that must have been on something pretty dang funky!

Holto
11-21-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree... that is a load of bullcrap if i ever heard it... the only thing I could think of that will reduce the efficacy of protein powder is cooking it....

Man, whoever said that must have been on something pretty dang funky!

Apparently that is a myth also.

jdeity
11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Well at least bb.com is good for a laugh. This is the most utterly ridiculous thing I have ever read.
:zipit:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Apparently that is a myth also.High heat doesn't denature proteins? Do you have a link? That's a good thing to know.

jdeity
11-21-2006, 05:29 PM
well yeah...milk still contains some of the hormones used to help babies grow. actually, dermatologists are starting to think milk to some degree or another causes acne because of that kind of stuff.
can you provide more info on those statements?

jdeity
11-21-2006, 05:31 PM
as far as denaturing, can't that be a positive? I thought you were supposed to cook eggs to denature the protein to get more out of them - raw eggs < cooked eggs.

Holto
11-21-2006, 05:41 PM
High heat doesn't denature proteins? Do you have a link? That's a good thing to know.

No but I can drop a name.....................Built.

Holto
11-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Going to bb.com is like stepping into an alternate universe.

"If it takes longer to digest then your losing out, the protein that you actually absorb and utilize will decrease the longer it takes to digest, this is not the same with casein as casein naturally takes longer to digest but it should still not be mixed with milk because that would cause it to take EVEN longer!!"

Heaven forbid we would slow the arrival of amino acids to provide a steady supply of building materials to our jobsite.

"Protein absorbtion is the most important thing involved in the intake of protein, you can take in 5g of protein per lb of lbm but if you only absorb 1g of those 5grams then 4g are going to waste. So in the same respect, by taking the protein with the milk your reducing the ammount of protein your actually going to absorb and utilize, so the 'extra' protein from the milk counts for nothing. As you will probably end up absorbing even less protein than you would if it was taken with water."

...and remember guys, protein is not milk soluble.

reloaded
11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
BB.com forum is only for laughs as far as I'm concerned. So much misinformation.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-21-2006, 05:49 PM
No but I can drop a name.....................Built.Maybe she can give me a source (and she always has sources :p).

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2006, 05:55 PM
High heat doesn't denature proteins? Do you have a link? That's a good thing to know.
It does not denature the primary structure, which is the sequence of amino acids.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Ok, thanks Slim. :thumbup:

Stumprrp
11-21-2006, 06:35 PM
well i guess this is settled, shouldnt of started a thread, mod close?

superjew18
11-21-2006, 06:38 PM
jdeity....im busy right now but yes ill give some more info..if the thread is closed the ill pm.

Holto
11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
I beleive the fear of hormones in milk is the hormones that are injected into the cattle.

R-BGH = Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone

Though many members here don't feel it's a concern. I allways try to side with nature.

KingWilder
11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
please somebody post in that thread and call them all morons...it's making me angry just reading all that BS

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2006, 07:39 PM
please somebody post in that thread and call them all morons...it's making me angry just reading all that BS
Most of that is from 2005 and early 2006.

I seriously wanted to join just to say something until I noticed that.

superjew18
11-21-2006, 08:01 PM
here's a website with infromation about the milkhormones
http://www.dairymax.com/rBGH.htm
a search on google pulls up all kinds of stuff too.

Stumprrp
11-21-2006, 08:46 PM
anyone hear of RAW milk? the cats from marunde's forum drink it, some say its good some say its bad, 6% milkfat :D

Bohizzle
11-21-2006, 08:58 PM
I was under the impression that one of the major hormones (not sure if it's that one or not), is banned to be used in canada on cows that are used as a source for milk? not sure though.

Andrew

superjew18
11-21-2006, 10:30 PM
i think the hormone they are refferring to is naturally occuring...like HGH.

Levantar
11-21-2006, 11:23 PM
anyone hear of RAW milk? the cats from marunde's forum drink it, some say its good some say its bad, 6% milkfat :D
I work with a guy who's family owns a farm. He drinks "raw" milk all the time. By "raw" they mean it has been through a filter only. Not pasteurized. I thought it would be gross but he brought some in and it tasted like whole milk. I'll ask him what he thinks the fat % is. Actually hold on I'll ask him now.......ok I'm back. He said that their farm feeds for higher protein and fat content and that it averages just over 4% fat. However he said raw milk in general will usually be between 3%-5% fat.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-22-2006, 01:05 AM
I was under the impression that one of the major hormones (not sure if it's that one or not), is banned to be used in canada on cows that are used as a source for milk? not sure though.

AndrewThat would be correct. I wish I lived in Canada for this reason.

Levantar
11-22-2006, 01:59 AM
holto i thought the same thing, i was like, what the hell? let me find the thread for you guys
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=610105

some of the arguments are in there..

milk is THE BEST for weight lifting, iono why some people disagree, even when i went to a nutritionist when i was fat she told me drink at least 2-3 cups a day
This thread is from the "Teen BB section". Are the people spewing all that crap all that well informed?

jdeity
11-22-2006, 09:15 AM

here's a website with infromation about the milkhormones
http://www.dairymax.com/rBGH.htm
a search on google pulls up all kinds of stuff too.

That link makes it seem that, even in cows treated, they still fell within normal biological ranges. So, what's the problem?

"Any minor differences in milk composition reported between BST-supplemented and BST-unsupplemented cows are within the normal biological ranges 10, 11."

And where's teh link from dermatologists?

T.N.T
11-27-2006, 02:06 PM
I have a question about mixing Whey powder and Milk. I find that it disolves better in the milk if I let it sit for a while after I mix it. If I mix it before I go to bed and then drink it when I wake up, will I get the same affect as if I drink it right after I mixed it?

Alex.V
11-27-2006, 02:39 PM
There is no problem. ****ing growth hormones are species specific, so I could drink a gallon of pure rBGH and get nothing but indigestion.

Milk does not cause acne, milk does not cause water retention, milk does not eat carbs. When somebody postulates something completely and utterly stupid, the burden of proof is on them to provide proof.

I hate stupid people. Yes, I know this thread was from almost a week ago, but I'm reading it at work and it pisses me off.

TNT- yes. It's still the exact same. Just stir it again and make sure you put in in the fridge. ;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2006, 02:53 PM
You seem angry, yet very informative lately, Belial. LOL. :)

Holto
11-27-2006, 02:57 PM
There is no problem. ****ing growth hormones are species specific, so I could drink a gallon of pure rBGH and get nothing but indigestion.

Just so I get this in my head 100%. Are you saying it would simply pass through the digestive tract?

Alex.V
11-27-2006, 03:33 PM
You seem angry, yet very informative lately, Belial. LOL. :)

Just started a 9-5 job, so I blame boredom and irritation. :)

Holto- Yep. It's a peptide hormone, so it's broken down into amino acids and absorbed into the bloodstream piece by piece.

Alex.V
11-27-2006, 03:34 PM
(but even were I to inject it, it wouldn't bind to any receptor on any cell in the HUMAN body)

Stumprrp
11-27-2006, 03:34 PM
hey belial i was just curious dude it sounded like crap to me, and it is.

Holto
11-27-2006, 04:03 PM
(but even were I to inject it, it wouldn't bind to any receptor on any cell in the HUMAN body)

So it enters the blood, but can't bind to any human receptor.

What becomes of it?

Does the liver have to work to get rid of it?

Alex.V
11-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Liver, kidneys... some excreted, some partially broken down I'd imagine. I'm actually not totally sure as to the fate of large amounts of non-endogenous long-chain polypeptides in the bloodstream.

Anyone else? ectx? doc? Anybody got any info beyond a pubmed link?

jdeity
11-27-2006, 07:27 PM
TNT- yes. It's still the exact same. Just stir it again and make sure you put in in the fridge. ;)

so mixed powder can go all night (~8hrs)? At what point does it begin to degrade? I was always under the impression it went bad quickly upon being mixed..

Alex.V
11-27-2006, 09:56 PM
If whey or casein degraded in milk, (or water for that matter,) all mammalian life would be pretty well screwed.

Think about it.

Holto
11-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Belial needs to post more often.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2006, 09:59 PM
^^

Indeed. He's on an angry informative brigade lately.

1mmort4l
11-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Belial needs to post more often.

+2 :strong:

Travisimo
11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I've thought about mixing a gallon of milk with Nitrean for when I'm lazy. I'm pretty sure proteins derived from milk will do all right in it.

jdeity
11-30-2006, 09:07 AM
If whey or casein degraded in milk, (or water for that matter,) all mammalian life would be pretty well screwed.

Think about it.

SWEET! While we're on it, how long would you be comfortable leaving the mixed protein? Milk does last, but it doesn't last long...

ddegroff
11-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Had mine mixed (whey/milk) in the fridge for 24hrs. Drank it this am, most of the taste was gone, but I'm sure it's fine.

Thats about as long as I would leave it, but thats me.