PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat % Scales

ianewilson
11-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Not sure if this thread goes here or not, but it directly links to Diet and Nutrition.

Does anyone have one of these scales that tell you your bf%? If so, are they accurate? How much do they cost? And are some better than others?

It is about $40 for a body composition test at my gym so I thought I might check out one of these scales so that I can keep track every week. Your help with this would be great.

RedSpikeyThing
11-22-2006, 09:57 AM
No they aren't accurate. Drink a few glasses of water and watch your bf mysteriously change. Also, do a search.

Mik
11-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Forget the scales. Waste of money. Get some cheap calipers.

ArchAngel777
11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
No they aren't accurate. Drink a few glasses of water and watch your bf mysteriously change. Also, do a search.

It should change when you drink a glass of water. If it isn't fat, what is it? LBM. That is a sign that the scale works.

For accuracy the scales are not great, but for consistancy, they are fine. They are a means to track your progress and they do it quite well, actually.

NewTriathlete
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
No, its not a sign its working. When you drink water, you change how the electricity is conducted through your body, so you'll get wildly different numbers based upon how hydrated you are.

Also, my understanding is that with the scale BF% tests, the current goes through you legs, so it is also inaccurate based upon where you carry your weight.

Mik
11-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I've heard your numbers will be thrown out of whack if the soles of your feet are wet. Dunno if it's true.

ArchAngel777
11-22-2006, 06:37 PM
No, its not a sign its working. When you drink water, you change how the electricity is conducted through your body, so you'll get wildly different numbers based upon how hydrated you are.

Also, my understanding is that with the scale BF% tests, the current goes through you legs, so it is also inaccurate based upon where you carry your weight.

Wildly different readings?... Yet the second paragraph shows signs that you have never used one. Have you used one personally? What were these "wild" readings you speak of?

ArchAngel777
11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I've heard your numbers will be thrown out of whack if the soles of your feet are wet. Dunno if it's true.

Yes, feet need to be dry.

NewTriathlete
11-22-2006, 10:19 PM
yes, I've used one for wrestling certification before, and it was a terrible experience. I was supposed to wrestle 189, but for some reason I had registered at 9% bf when I was NO where near 9% (more like 18%), and I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get another attempt at being certified. This was 5 years ago, but I doubt that the technology has changed much since then.

ArchAngel777
11-23-2006, 09:14 PM
yes, I've used one for wrestling certification before, and it was a terrible experience. I was supposed to wrestle 189, but for some reason I had registered at 9% bf when I was NO where near 9% (more like 18%), and I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get another attempt at being certified. This was 5 years ago, but I doubt that the technology has changed much since then.

When it comes to electronics, 5 years is a lifetime.