PDA

View Full Version : Whey isolate or casein protein before bed?

krboyd7
11-22-2006, 03:30 AM
I know there are various reasons supporting both, regarding the slow release of casein and the high biological value of whey protein.But what is truly the best to take before bed?And why?
Also should you have any carbs before bed?in the form of a shake or food?

What do all you guys think?

teaturtle
11-22-2006, 03:36 AM
all i know is that you should have fatty foods (like cottage cheese, milk, etc) before bed cause of the slow digestion. so i guess casein would be better or maybe a mix of the two? im not 100% sure, i dunno if its THAT important though. just as long as you get some food in you lol.

krboyd7
11-22-2006, 03:40 AM
all i know is that you should have fatty foods (like cottage cheese, milk, etc) before bed cause of the slow digestion. so i guess casein would be better or maybe a mix of the two? im not 100% sure, i dunno if its THAT important though. just as long as you get some food in you lol.

I know fat is digested slowly but why would you eat FAT right before bed.What benefit would it give me?
Cheers.

teaturtle
11-22-2006, 04:58 AM
well you wuoldnt burn as many cals w/ a slower digestion

Vapour Trails
11-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Casein

TheGimp
11-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Casein will form a clot in the stomach, digesting over a period of around 7 hours. I'm not sure why you are bringing BV into the equation because its protein quality is easily comparable with whey.

Whey will digest in a fraction of the time, although it will depend on several factors such as what you consume at the same time (e.g. mixing the whey with milk will slow the digestion due to the casein and fat content) or what else you have eaten beforehand.

Holto
11-23-2006, 04:16 PM
I know fat is digested slowly but why would you eat FAT right before bed.What benefit would it give me?
Cheers.

Anytime you eat fat with something that digests quickly it will slow it down. It does this by delaying gastric emptying.

Take for example a handfull of peanuts and a whey shake. The peanuts will delay the emptying of the stomach and thus extend the release of amino's into the blood.

Fat before bed will give you sustained energy for things like building muscle.

well you wuoldnt burn as many cals w/ a slower digestion

This is false.

Stumprrp
11-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Whole fat cottege cheese before bed! perfect! if your really looking to add great mass id have a big ol glass of whole milk and like 1 cup of cottege cheese

krboyd7
11-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Casein will form a clot in the stomach, digesting over a period of around 7 hours. I'm not sure why you are bringing BV into the equation because its protein quality is easily comparable with whey.

Whey will digest in a fraction of the time, although it will depend on several factors such as what you consume at the same time (e.g. mixing the whey with milk will slow the digestion due to the casein and fat content) or what else you have eaten beforehand.

The true bv of caesin is only 77! Whey isolate is 159.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2006, 12:32 PM
well you wuoldnt burn as many cals w/ a slower digestionI think you're thinking of metabolism.

Holto
11-24-2006, 02:05 PM
The true bv of caesin is only 77! Whey isolate is 159.

The max score for BV is 100.

ie: 100%

BV is a measure of nitrogen retention VS excretion. You can't retain more than 100% of the nitrogen in a protein source.

If you consume 10 grams of nitrogen and retain 10 grams of nitrogen then the BV is 100.

RedSpikeyThing
11-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Many people don't express it as a percent, therefore it can go above 100. An egg is considered to have a BV of 100 and everything else is relative to that.

Egg protein scored the highest number of 100 to serve as a measuring stick, though by some sources, it is scored as 93.7.[8] This is because whey protein has subsequently been found to have the highest known biological value of any protein in humans.[9] As a result whey protein proponents have dropped the percentage sign on BV and extended the scale beyond 100. This is why some sources list whey as having a BV 104, even though as noted above, it is physically impossible.

Holto
11-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Many people don't express it as a percent, therefore it can go above 100. An egg is considered to have a BV of 100 and everything else is relative to that.

Using the example of 10 grams of nitrogen how much am I retaining if the BV is 159?

The only people I see expressing it as anything other than a percentage are marketers. I've yet to see a scientist do it.