PDA

View Full Version : Dave's training journal

Dave_TV
11-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I've been getting back into workout shape for the last few weeks. Focussing on the big 5 (my idea of the big 5 exercises anyway!) exercises (squat, DL, Bench, Military and Latpulls) and some supporting exercises 3 times a week. Just making sure i've got my form together and getting my body accustomed to the movements again.

Starting this past Monday I've moved into my 3 day split that I will be sticking with for the next few months. Weights are relatively low and quite a bit off of what I am capable of. I figure with the long hiatus and being in my 30's now I need to continue to get into this slowly for a couple more weeks, getting myself up to the full amount of reps and the heavier weights that I will be using on a goforward basis.

All that was said to lead into this disclaimer: So if you see the gains and think something is funny, realize I am not at 100% effort yet and won't be, according to my plan for another couple of weeks. Plan is to being going heavy by the second week of December. This also gives me the time I need to get my diet in order. I have never succeeded at altering my diet over night, so I'll be cleaning it up over the next couple of weeks.

So, that being said. next post will be my workout routine, then I will follow up with my workout from monday and my workout today, Wednesday. Then continue posting from there.

Thanks any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Dave_TV
11-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Weight training routine:

Monday - Chest and Bi's
Flat Bench Press 3x8
Incline Dumbell Press 2x8
DB Curls 2x8
Preacher Curls 2x8

Wednesday Legs and shoulders
Squats 1x20
SLDL 2x8
Milititary press 3x8
DB Shoulder Press 2x8
DB Shrugs 3x8

Friday - Back and Triceps
DeadLifts 3x8
Latpulls 3x8
DB Rows 3x8
Close Grip BenchPress 3x8
Skull Crushers 2x8

Dave_TV
11-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Workout from Monday 11/20/2006:

Monday - Chest and Bi's
Flat Bench Press
- 3 sets / 8 reps / 115lbs
Incline Dumbell Press
- 2 sets / 8 reps / 30lbs db's
DB Curls
- 2 sets / 8 reps each arm / 30 lbs db's
Preacher Curls
- 2 sets / 8 reps / 40 lbs

Notes from work out:
plenty of energy. good form and range of motion. All lifts will increase in weight next week

Dave_TV
11-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Today's workout:

Wednesday Legs and shoulders
Squats
- 1 set / 20 reps / 75b lbs - few inches below parallel
SLDL
- 2 sets / 8 reps / 125 lbs
Milititary press
- 3 sets / 8 reps / 75 lbs
DB Shoulder Press
- 2 sets / 8 reps / 30 lbs each hand
DB Shrugs
- 3 sets / 8 reps / 45 lbs each hand

Good workout and good form. all weights will increase next week

Dave_TV
11-22-2006, 01:20 PM
workouts so far have been at about 50% of my max, except two exercises
1. squats, because I am doing 20 rep sets of those. its about 30%, 75 lbs for 20 reps vs 225 max
2. Bench, guess my ego wont let me bench only 90 lbs :-) my max right now is about 180. about 65 less than what it was last time I was working out

So far this week, it looks like I am on track to lift 75% of my max for reps next, then lifting heavy ie 85 to 90% of my max the following week. Following that, I should be on track to start making some good strength and size gains

Dave_TV
11-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Back and triceps Saturday,

Excellent workout today. Felt great. of course most of my workouts do after starting off with deadlifts. Squats just don't have the same psychological effect on me for some reason. I guess it has something to do with overcoming my fear of wrecking my back and the intense state of mind it puts me in. Maybe if I hurt myself doing squats oneday like I did with deads I could muster up the same level of intensitity... hmmm.... not worth it :-)

Dead lifts 180X8, 180X7, 180X8
Lat Pulls 90X8, 110X8, 110X5
DB Rows 30X8, 40X6 - left rotatar felt a little weird... skipped third set and stretched out a bit
Close Grip Bench Press 95x8, 105x8, 105X6
Skull crushers 25X8, 30X8 - I should get a little rest after the CGBP next week and go heavier on these.

Dave_TV
11-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Chest and Bi's

Had a good workout today. I think I'm about ready to increase the sets on bench press to 4. This day is much less intense than the others.

My lifts are still way off from what they were 4 years ago. that is kind of a bummer. I guess I'll remember the results of atrophy next time I decide to quit working out, huh? It'll take me atleast 5 or 6 months to get back close to where I was. Felt a little weak today. I don't think I ate enough Pre w/o. Well here is how I did. Made some progress, and that's all I'm looking for right now.

Flat Bench Press
95X10 125X6 125X5
Next week, adding in the 4th set... and get 8 reps each set. If I hit that, then I'll raise the weight up again.

Incline DB Press
30X10, 40X4
I'm hoping to get the 40's up for full sets next week, we'll see... IF I do, then I'll add in another set here

Hammer curls
30X8 30X8
good form here, no cheating :-)

Dave_TV
11-27-2006, 03:44 PM
overall, I'm pretty happy with the progress. Hard to stay motivated if I think too much about how the weights I am lifting now are so much less that what i was doing not so long ago. But I am enjoying myself and I am excited about getting back in shape.

I am moving along as I expected and when I get up to 4 sets for the major compound movements, I'll probably go to a 5X4-6 routine. I like going heavy and having more sets of less reps.

I started at 226 and I'm currently at 232 with about 3 weeks into this. So, I would like to see 250 by the end of February and then cut my way back down to 215 or so. Hopefully by then my lifts will be back in line with my size.

wish me luck and feel free add any comments or give advice.

thanks!

KevinStarke
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Workouts are lookin great man. Dont even think about the weight your moving just get int here and do what you'ev gotta do.