PDA

View Full Version : I think I hurt myself on the smith machine

piff
11-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I was doing calf raises this morning (after I had already done squats and lunges) and may have used too much weight. I felt like I was going to puke after two sets but I usually get that when I work out real hard so nothing new there.

The problem is that after I was leaving, I noticed a bad pain in my neck. The muscle on the back left side (maybe my sternocleidomastoid muscle) hurts like hell when I try to touch my left ear to my shoulder. In fact, I can't even begin to tilt my head towards my left shoulder. I guess I just 'pulled' something but my question is if there is anything I can do to releave the pain and make sure I don't injure it anymore. I don't want this to get in the way of my lifting. Tomorrow is my bis and tris day and then Friday I'm working shoulders (with Saturday + Sunday off). Thanks for any advice

Ruffian
11-22-2006, 01:07 PM
RICE, although, the compression probably wouldnt work, and the elevation is a natural occurance lol.

Honestly though, dont use hte smith machine; not saying it caused this but it definately isnt doing you any favours. If the pain doesnt subside in a couple days go see a doc, but he'll probably just say you shoudl take ibuprofin and ice it till the pain goes away.

Just dont work out until the pain is gone, you definately will do yourself more harm then good!

piff
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Just dont work out until the pain is gone, you definately will do yourself more harm then good!

That's not what I wanted to hear... would doing my bicep/tricep work out be a really bad idea? I had a crappy week in the gym last week and wanted to make up for it with a beastly workout this week but then I go and hurt myself on the smith machine:swear:

Sensei
11-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Don't use the Smith machine anymore.

HeavyBomber
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Don't use the Smith machine anymore.

This should be the answer to all smith machine related questions. lol