PDA

View Full Version : Critique my squat

KY23
11-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Guys,

Here is a video of me squatting 155 lbs. I know its not alot of weight but I've only been doing Ripptoe's program for 1 1/2 months now.

Its hard to see my legs because of the rack but I feel like I'm getting low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6fnjKLu4-0

HeavyBomber
11-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Looks damn good to me.

Natetaco
11-22-2006, 07:50 PM
looks good man, below parallel a bit also:ninja:

Detard
11-22-2006, 08:09 PM
looks below parallel to me. good form

Stumprrp
11-22-2006, 10:41 PM
looks like a full squat, not just below parallel, however your knees are going foward a bit it seems to me, try to sit back a little bit more and the form will be perfect

deeder
11-23-2006, 12:33 AM
looks like a full squat, not just below parallel, however your knees are going foward a bit it seems to me, try to sit back a little bit more and the form will be perfect

I was just thinking the exact same thing while I was watching the video :p

Nik00117
11-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Near the end on the front a plate was sliddding away from the 45er, i'd suggest using clamps.

Other then that looks great.

RickTheDestroyer
11-23-2006, 08:03 AM
I agree with the others that your knees may be coming forward a little far, but your bar path is almost perfectly vertical and your form looks very good for the most part. As with everything else, it will improve with practice- just make sure you think about pushing your hips back through the motion.

Due to the angle, I can't whether you're spreading your knees enough or not, but that's always another thing to watch out for. Additionally, you're going to need to keep your body tighter- abs out, chest up, back tight- just like Mark says in the book- stand like a pretty girl is walking by and then think like you're holding a tennis ball under your chin.

MixmasterNash
11-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Stop squatting in running shoes!

Where is the bar? High on your traps or on your rear delts?

Can'tstopnow
11-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Looks good and as the above has said to sit back more. Make the sitting back motion your first movement when decending. :thumbup:

Bohizzle
11-24-2006, 10:31 PM
ur knees may be coming in a bit, make sure u concentrate on keeping them out. and it looks like ur pushing from the balls of ur feet... concentrate on pushing from ur heels. this will come easier if u sit back a little bit more, trying hips out first will help.

Andrew

peacefrog
11-25-2006, 04:31 AM
Stop squatting in running shoes!

Where is the bar? High on your traps or on your rear delts?
What's wrong with squatting in running shoes?

Fuzzy
11-25-2006, 05:34 AM
ALways wondered about the shoe thing.

ALot of guys prefer flat shoes for lifting.

As someone who weres orthodics for flat feet, I dont think it would be a good idea for me. I want to build muscle with my foot placed in a good arch, not flat.

KY23
11-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try to sit back alittle more and keep those knees out.

I'm going to go look for a pair of chucks this week.

standAPART
11-27-2006, 08:28 AM
I agree with alot that has been said.

You need to "sit back" more and get the glutes more involved in the movement. The bar's path is shifting anteriorly and forcing you to shift your center of gravity forward (note: the heels coming off the floor).
This is not entirely a bad thing, however, it will put the "builk of the weight" on the quads and less on teh hips/hams, which will not help increasing the loads over time. What I mean is, you will be stuck in the 155-205 weight range and you will start complainig of knee pain (quad tendon).
-Put a bench behind you to guide the hips.
-Strengthen the hams, glutes, and overall core.

And yes, ditch the running shoes...squat preferrably in Nike Frees 5.0 (or above) or some flat soled shoes (Addidas Samba) or barefoot.

KY23
11-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Ok guys...I pushed from the heels and started the up movement with my hips. I'll video tape again on my Wednesday workout but this one felt much better. I went up to 160 lbs but it really felt much heavier and it was a much harder workout. I really feel it in the glutes but I also feel alittle more in the knee area.

Going to get a pair of chucks tomorrow.