PDA

View Full Version : In this sport you want to be as fat as possible :)

russianwol
11-24-2006, 10:12 AM
At the 2007 Arnold Sports Festival, four of the world's best sumo wrestlers will conduct several demonstrations, showing perfect sumo ritual, tradition, and technique, culminating in a series of matches. These large men are not only tremendously strong, but they have remarkable speed, world-renowned balance, and incredible flexibility (as they perform full leg splits). The 2007 line-up includes:

More At:
http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/g_sumo.asp

http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/images/g_sumo_kato_wayne.jpg

Sensei
11-24-2006, 01:15 PM
I love sumo, but I hate "sport sumo"... The padded ring and the whooping and carrying on that the competitors do just take away from it too much IMHO...

KevinStarke
11-24-2006, 07:51 PM
E. Honda > Those four guys..

http://www.poprocksandcoke.com/img/articles/worst5ehonda.jpg

Fuzzy
11-25-2006, 05:27 AM
Ofcourse those guys are strong, look at that Pakistani weight lifter dude... Hes fat, hes insane.

Im sure sumos do alot of lifting work.

Any one know for sure?

1mmort4l
11-25-2006, 05:51 AM
E. Honda > Those four guys..

http://www.poprocksandcoke.com/img/articles/worst5ehonda.jpg

I lol'd :D :D :D

ShockBoxer
11-25-2006, 06:40 AM
I've always wondered what would happen if someone like Wolfie tried sumo. He's big, really big, bigger than most heavyweight sumo, but nowhere near as fat... and pushing 300 pounds around is nothing for him.

I suspect that the champion sumo wrestlers are nowhere near as efficient athletes as they could be. That's just a suspicion, of course, since I have no idea how they train athletically.

CancerVII
11-25-2006, 07:14 AM
I've always wondered what would happen if someone like Wolfie tried sumo. He's big, really big, bigger than most heavyweight sumo, but nowhere near as fat... and pushing 300 pounds around is nothing for him.

I suspect that the champion sumo wrestlers are nowhere near as efficient athletes as they could be. That's just a suspicion, of course, since I have no idea how they train athletically.

Power isn't everything in sumo.

KevinStarke
11-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Sumo relies heavily on balance and technique, strength is key though and being heavy helps since they use their weight to their advantage.

ShockBoxer
11-25-2006, 11:21 AM
No, power definitely isn't everything... but it is a lot and I'm guessing Mike is stronger and just as heavy as any of them. I'm just curious as to how he, or another super heavyweight powerlifter or strongman, would do with some sumo training. A 600 pound raw bench has to have some strength translation into shoving someone... they're both pressing movements.

KevinStarke
11-25-2006, 11:44 AM
They used to do sumo in strongman back in the day (im young, the 80's are back in the day for me)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3zqaxPkBgRg&mode=related&search= - Thats Bill Kaz in a man thong people.

As you can see they dont exactly have technique other than just pushing. Real sumo wrestlers know how to throw their weight and do their job in the ring. Wolfie is a monster and one strong dude but against a seasoned sumo wrestler I dont feel he'd win.

Hazerboy
11-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't know a lot about Sumo, I've wrestled plenty of really, really strong guys with no technique. Its silly. They may push you around for awhile and be really aggressive but they have no mat awareness. They always end up on their back after about a minute or to of jacking around.

I'd suspect a really, really, really strong guy against a seasoned sumo would just get thrown (they throw in sumo, right?). You can push into a seasoned wrestler all you want and he'll either throw you or change his level and take a shot.

stevec087
11-25-2006, 09:37 PM

I wouldnt know from experience BUT common sense tells me that someone with a really strong squat would have the advantage over someone with a really strong bench. In sumo wrestling you won't have a bench to brace your back against, if you push off you'll just go backwards....

Fuzzy
11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
I like that thought ^^^

But still, I guess it would be like rowing, doesnt matter if your the strongest guy in the boat, if you dont have the tech, and the rythm, and you dont fit well with the other rowers then your not a good rower.

SO Wolfey, bless him (big fan of his) while incredibly strong might not know the subtle things about sumo, wich an actual sumo would know.

Tiny differences such as an inch or so in the stance could mean all the difference.

How do you become a better rower? Row.

A better sumo? Sumo.