PDA

View Full Version : intermediate/advnaced/elite

Roark
11-24-2006, 01:53 PM
i found this chart on exrx

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/PressStandards.html

and i've seen some of you pl guys tossing around the term "elite" in regards to lift/lift totals

is the chart above the accepted standard as far as classifications go?

RedSpikeyThing
11-24-2006, 03:57 PM
According to that chart I am intermediate to advanced. I hope that not too many people base themselves on that....seems kind of low.

Chubrock
11-24-2006, 04:01 PM
It's fairly close for the lower weight lifters, if they're lifting Raw. That isn't the chart used to determine Class I-IV, Master and Elite.

Roark
11-24-2006, 04:04 PM
i dunno

seems spot on to me

i didn't see any advanced caliber lifts in your journal

not a knock though

you're doing good man!

Roark
11-24-2006, 04:05 PM
That isn't the chart used to determine Class I-IV, Master and Elite.

thanks

that's what i was wondering

can you link me that chart?

Chubrock
11-24-2006, 04:08 PM
http://www.worldpowerliftingcongress.com/Qualifying%20Rankings.htm

That's the chart for equipped.

jdeity
11-24-2006, 04:09 PM
that's not accurate. Elite is waaaay lower than what i've seen on charts from other powerlifting places. I was almost 'elite' based on that chart, at a time I was just scratching lower levels of a chart from somewhere else (elitefts maybe? I'll try to find it).

jdeity
11-24-2006, 04:09 PM
thanks chubrock I didn't want to search for that. I think that's the chart I was looking for.

RedSpikeyThing
11-24-2006, 04:38 PM
i dunno

seems spot on to me

i didn't see any advanced caliber lifts in your journal

not a knock though

you're doing good man!

no offense taken. I consider myself a beginner. I bench 170, which is considered intermediate, squat 265, considered intermediate to advanced, and deadlift 300, also considered intermediate to advanced. I just don't think of myslef as an "intermediate to advanced" lifter.

drew
11-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Those numbers aren't even close.

KevinStarke
11-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Nope

Roark
11-24-2006, 05:30 PM
the chart i posted came from exrx

and would seem pretty accurate for raw & natural lifts

right now my goal is to hit the "advanced" level from that chart by my 30th bday in february, which i think would be quite an accomplishment for me, as i am 198 at 6'2

it says at 198 i should be bping 285, squatting 387, & dling 457

i would consider that advanced in comparison to the regular lifting world

not the juiced, shirted world

no offense AT ALL to the "juiced & shirted" world

but their numbers are not relative to mine

jdeity
11-24-2006, 05:41 PM
relative to the average gym going joe schmo, sure. But those aren't elite, even for intermediate drug free lifters. If you mean benching 285 @ 198lbs is elite on that chart, that chart is hurting - I was doing that natural (not bragging, I was powerlifting seriously at the time) when I weighed low 160's

Roark
11-24-2006, 05:51 PM
well

i've been to several gyms off and on over the past 10 years

and have maybe seen only a couple of 160 lb guys benching that much natural w/ no shirt

and those are the 5'2" sparkplug types

but

more power to you

if you were that strong naturally i wonder why you decided to juice

ANYWAY

thanks for the input fellas

i'll keep with my goals and will be happy if i can acheive them

jdeity
11-24-2006, 05:53 PM
I wasn't in shirt, but i am kinda short lol (5'7'').

To be honest, it's not really all about strength. My max was probably under 250, and went up to 285 relatively quickly, while on a powerlifting program (westside). I attribute a very large part of that gain to the way westside trains you (especially dynamic effort), and also a huge part is due to learning 'powerlifting' form versus bodybuilder form. I'd imagine that *many* people could add, i dunno, 20lbs at least to their bench if they were taught real proper form (assuming they were doing the bodybuilding style before). Once you learn and are comfortable with the powerlifting form your numbers go up quickly.

I'm not sure what your specific goals are, but if they are about putting up higher numbers here I'll go ahead and recommend westside, or some kind of modded westside. It was such a great program, I watched my numbers go up on a regular basis which was always a huuuge motivator. God i miss max effort deadlift days....

Roark
11-24-2006, 06:34 PM
thanks for the input man

i always wonder when i see those DE sets in people's journal's

like bench sets of 185 x 3

you just press as fast as you can? that helps you go out of the hole on a regular lift?

as far as pl form, i don't really care for the super-arch on the bench. almost seems like cheating to me. but i am well aware it's a talent within itsself

as far as squatting, i like the narrow oly stance. i'm sure i could squat more if i widened up the legs.

as far as my goals, i want to get as strong as possible with adding as little bodyweight/fat as possible. that's why i've been looking more and more into pl-style programs.

i would like to stay in the <200lb range. i figure if i'm adding strength while not adding bodyweight the aesthetics will fall into place.

would LOVE to compete, but i'd be up against 5'7 guys like you that would destroy me. hahaha

thanks for the input man! you could have easily thought i was being a prick and replied in kind. glad you didn't.

i'll keep an eye on your journal man

KevinStarke
11-24-2006, 07:07 PM
According to your chart I'm already elite in bench and only 10-20 lbs away on both squat and dead from elite... so that charts definitelly not something too good to go by.

http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/pdf/RAWClassificationStandards.pdf <- theres the 100% RAW Federations classification of the levels of strength. Even those standards are kind of low in my opinion. I've got some strength but definitelly dont consider myself "elite" by any means.

Roark
11-24-2006, 07:32 PM
not shirted?

well, you are an impressive lifter and suited for it physically

regardless i think the exrx chart is a good one

amd i'll be happy to hit the advanced levels it puts forth

KevinStarke
11-24-2006, 07:41 PM
I've only benched shirted twice, the stats in my sig are unequipped. Its good to have goals but why apply yourself to a bogus chart and miss out on shooting for a real goal.

Roark
11-24-2006, 07:49 PM
i understand where you're coming from

i think those are good goals for me

i'll never be in the i guess "real" advanced or elite category

i'm tall and skinny w/ orangutan arms

i think something like a 1100 total at <200lbs is a good goal

really i'm just trying to add more weight on the bar each week

just thought the chart was interesting and seemed pretty accurate relative to the gyms i've been in

i'm sure alot different than what you've been exposed to from what i;ve read in your journal

hell, many mornings i'm the strongest guy in the gym if that tells you anything, hahaha

thanks for the input bro

KevinStarke
11-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Im not trying to bring down anyones strength credit just going by my experience and the standards i've been shown. Tall with orangutan arms? Sounds like you'd be a sick deadlifter if you train for it man. Any progress is good progress.

phreak
11-25-2006, 02:51 AM
i found this chart on exrx

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/PressStandards.html

and i've seen some of you pl guys tossing around the term "elite" in regards to lift/lift totals

is the chart above the accepted standard as far as classifications go?
LOL! I would be advanced in the press according to that. I can do an easy 200 @ 285 without even training overhead lifts.

My bench is between advanced and elite, yet I know dozens of people who are both lighter and stronger.

Squat: almost hit advanced after 3 months of squatting, pre-injury.

DL: I suck at this, so intermediate-advanced. But since everyone I know lifts more than that, I can't take that at all seriously.

Clean: I'd barely hit intermediate.

In conclusion: Either I am a lot stronger than I ever imagined -- or the "standards" are referencing a completely different population. My bet is on the latter. Without these numbers I would just classify myself as intermediate.

phreak
11-25-2006, 02:57 AM
http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/pdf/RAWClassificationStandards.pdf <- theres the 100% RAW Federations classification of the levels of strength. Even those standards are kind of low in my opinion. I've got some strength but definitelly dont consider myself "elite" by any means.
I supposedly hit class II there. And that's with a token 300-Lb squat. That's class II? There are 3 gyms in my (small) home town where I would get absolutely creamed with those numbers.

phreak
11-25-2006, 02:59 AM
amd i'll be happy to hit the advanced levels it puts forth
Good goals... provided you don't see them as the end of your journey. Don't set self-limiting goals for yourself. Work to get to elite on that chart -- and then find a more challenging chart.

jdeity
11-25-2006, 03:04 PM
i understand where you're coming from

i think those are good goals for me

i'll never be in the i guess "real" advanced or elite category

i'm tall and skinny w/ orangutan arms

i think something like a 1100 total at <200lbs is a good goal

really i'm just trying to add more weight on the bar each week

just thought the chart was interesting and seemed pretty accurate relative to the gyms i've been in

i'm sure alot different than what you've been exposed to from what i;ve read in your journal

hell, many mornings i'm the strongest guy in the gym if that tells you anything, hahaha

thanks for the input bro
As long as you're doing good for you, that's what matters. Being elite, based on teh real charts, is no small thing... those are so goddamn huuuuuge numbers. I wonder how many people on this board are even elite, especially drug free elite.

Stumprrp
11-25-2006, 07:40 PM
advance and almost elite in all categorys, how about no lol