PDA

View Full Version : New years resolution: Gain 20 pounds

illusion87
11-25-2006, 01:57 AM
I'm fairly new at body building and I need some serious help. I want to gain a good 20 pounds of muscle this year but its hard for me to gain weight. I'm in college right now, Im about 5 10 and I weigh about 130-135 (I know im skinny). It seems its impossible for me to gain weight because of my fast metabolism.

My plan is to hit the gym 3 times a week for 1 to 2 hours workouts. Its hard for me to find time to work out now and eat regular meals because Im either in class or at work.

Does anyone think its possible for me to gain this amount of muscle in the time of about 4 or 5 months? Also, does anyone have any tips or simple on the go recipes thats loaded with calories.

Davidelmo
11-25-2006, 03:55 AM
I'll try to make this really easy for you:

Here is your new routine:
http://www.wannabebig.com/printarticle.php?articleid=25

Look up any exercises you dont understand here:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Track your diet on:
http://www.fitday.com

Aim to eat enough calories that you gain weight. Aim to get 150g protein a day.

As for food on the go, try this:
700ml milk, 4tbsp peanut butter, a few scoops whey, 100g of oats.
That has over 1000 calories.

You can also snack on almonds, peanuts etc. Drink milk all the time.

illusion87
11-25-2006, 09:37 AM
thanks for the post.

How many calories should I consume a day? Right now I dont even think im hitting 2000 calories.

Davidelmo
11-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Try 3000 for a week. See if you gain weight. Unfortunately there's no magic value that works for everyone. The only way is to try and see. If you dont gain on 3000, try 3500. Rinse and repeat.

Using fitday was the single best thing I ever did for gaining weight.

ShockBoxer
11-25-2006, 11:27 AM
What David said only I'd try 3000 for two weeks. I can put on 4-6 pounds in a week of misleading water weight at the start of a bulk. In fact, it's one of the ways I can tell I'm actually eating over maintenance.

illusion87
11-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Aim to eat enough calories that you gain weight. Aim to get 150g protein a day.

isnt 150g a lot? I checked my RDA and it says 58 g

Also, what are some supplements I should take with my work out.

So far I have Whey Protein, Fish Oil, Multivitamin

WBBIRL
11-26-2006, 02:33 AM
150 isnt alot at all, myself and others on this board have eaten well over 200g per day.

Davidelmo
11-26-2006, 06:05 AM
isnt 150g a lot? I checked my RDA and it says 58 g

Also, what are some supplements I should take with my work out.

So far I have Whey Protein, Fish Oil, Multivitamin

The RDA is meant for an average person leading an ordinary lifestyle.

If you are lifting weights and trying to gain weight you are not an average person and definately need to increase your intake. Most people suggest 1g protein for every 1lb bodyweight. I suggested 150g for you because it was a nice round number. I weigh around 180 but eat 200-250g a day. Some people eat over 400g a day. So long as you're not below 1g/lb you'll be fine.

Your supp list sounds good, I dont think you need anything else. Possibly creatine, but you will be fine without it.

Before a workout, it varies what works for some people and not for others. Personally I like some complex carbs about 1hr before my workout. Others might have a shake with glucose/dextrose.

I would do this:
Pre-workout - complex carbs about 1hr before, plus around 20g protein
During workout - simple carbs plus protein
Post workout - simple carbs plus a lot of protein, say ~40g

Like I said, it varies person to person but that combo works well for me.