PDA

View Full Version : Bulking or cutting???

ajl91
11-25-2006, 09:03 AM
hey all this is my first post ive found some pretty good help on this ste

i am 15 yrs old, 172lbs, 5'10" tall, 14%-15%bf (not sure which). I've been lifting for size for about 2 months and i've gotten pretty good results. I only want to get a little bit bigger and then stay at that size. I was thinking that i should bulk to where i want to be and then cut because the more muscle you have, the easier it is to cut, because muscle burns fat. And some people say that if i cut first will lose muscle and then just get more fat when i try to gain it back again. Which comes first??

Also, as far as diet goes, i know that i have to have a deficit of calories to cut and a surplus to bulk. What about carbs? should i go high on bulk and low on cut?

Last thing, I read that i can cut for a week and use a caloric deficit, then bulk for a week and use a caloric surplus, and continue this cycle to burn fat then bulk up and so on. Is that True??

Thanks

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I've been lifting for size for about 2 months and i've gotten pretty good results. I only want to get a little bit bigger and then stay at that size. I was thinking that i should bulk to where i want to be and then cut because the more muscle you have, the easier it is to cut, because muscle burns fat.How long have you been lifting all together? If you've only been training for size for 2 months, I'd highly recommend you hit the weights for at least 6 months. 2 months is not a physiologically significant time frame and your cut won't be as satisfying had you done it with more LBM.

And some people say that if i cut first will lose muscle and then just get more fat when i try to gain it back again. Which comes first??The point is, you want to gain a decent amount of LBM so you will have something to show for when you go on a cut. If you have no muscle to begin with and you go on a cut, you're end result won't be nearly as impressive.

Also, as far as diet goes, i know that i have to have a deficit of calories to cut and a surplus to bulk. What about carbs? should i go high on bulk and low on cut?You might want to lower your carbs a bit on a cut and raise your protein and fat intake for satiety's sake.

Last thing, I read that i can cut for a week and use a caloric deficit, then bulk for a week and use a caloric surplus, and continue this cycle to burn fat then bulk up and so on. Is that True??No. Your body needs longer than a week to adjust to varied caloric intakes. Also, bulking and cutting on and off each week would do absolutely nothing. You need to give your body more time to adjust.

ajl91
11-25-2006, 09:35 PM
i've been lifting about 6-7 months. So if you go look at my profile pic, thats me, so should i bulk a little more and then cut ?
keep in mind i have no plans to be a body builder i just want to be muscular and ripped

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-25-2006, 11:29 PM
keep in mind i have no plans to be a body builder i just want to be muscular and rippedUm...a bodybuilder does not have to compete. A bodybuilder is one who um...wants to build their body.

i've been lifting about 6-7 months. So if you go look at my profile pic, thats me, so should i bulk a little more and then cut ?If you're happy with your gains, then go ahead and cut. If you think you can add some good mass, then keep going. I think you should keep bulking.

ajl91
11-27-2006, 06:57 PM
ok so any tips on foods and such for bulking?

also, is my bf% going to get higher when i bulk even if i eat really clean and do plenty of cardio?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2006, 08:45 PM
You can get morbidly obese eating "clean". You should do a slow bulk trying to gain about 4 pounds or so a month by slowly upping your calories (do you know the method by which to do this?)... You should read the diet stickies.

And by "plenty of cardio", what do you mean?

ajl91
11-28-2006, 02:58 PM
And by "plenty of cardio", what do you mean?

i mean if i lift 4 days a week i do cardio the other 3 days of the week

where do i find out how to slowly up calories?

Holto
11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
i mean if i lift 4 days a week i do cardio the other 3 days of the week

where do i find out how to slowly up calories?

The first step is knowing what you are taking in.

Sign up at www.fitday.com and track your foods. Only then will you have control over your body.

shootermcgavin7
11-28-2006, 06:33 PM
I pissed away a good 18 months when I first started lifting bulking and cutting in the same 15 lb range (yes, this was before I found this site).

Then I decided to bulk 40 lbs then cut down to a level I was happy with and made fantastic strength and lbm gains.

Cutting is a lot easier (and worth doing at all) if you have a solid base of muscle to cut from.

ajl91
11-30-2006, 04:18 PM
so shooter how long did it take you to get 40 lbs and what was your lifting/cardio routine like?

Altephor
11-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Since when does muscle burn fat? News to me.

shootermcgavin7
11-30-2006, 09:16 PM
so shooter how long did it take you to get 40 lbs and what was your lifting/cardio routine like?

I'm very, very bad about keeping a lifting journal on WBB, but I believe it was about 6 months. I did gain some fat, normally I am good with a 32" waist and I was probably closer to 35" by the end.

But I made enormous progress on my lifts, and kept my lifts at that level throughout the subsequent cut.

Some people, for obviously reasons, may prefer to keep body comp changes at a micro level....but for myself, who had struggled as a self-proclaimed "hard gainer" for a long time, a big, big bulk (followed by a slow cut) worked out very well.