PDA

View Full Version : Dietetics/Nutrition

Y0yo
11-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Does anyone have any recommended reading on this topic as far as books go. While I'm not in any position to take classes at the moment, I would like to eventually get into the field of Dietetics/Nutrition.

Pup
11-26-2006, 09:19 AM
To be honest, the "required reading" for dietetics isn't what you'd expect it to be. I have not yet met a registered dietician (with the exception of Chuck Rudolph) who had a clue...case in point, one RD frequently tells me that my protein consumption will result in acute kidney failure (anyone who understands protein synthesis and protein metabolism knows this is utter nonsense in healthy individuals), another case in point is most RDs associate low carb diets/ketosis with the diabetic condition of ketoacidosis (read up on this one, how they draw a comparison b/w the two will amuse you). If you want to go into the field, i suggest learning about cellular biology and nutritional biochemistry. Start by picking certain topics (like insulin resistance) and doing Pubmed searches, read the research that is out there and learn to understand how macronutrients (in different ratios and administration protocols) actually affect you at the cellular level. Be open to new ideas, above all else a dietician is a scientist whose lab is the human body, that's a very big responsibility.

Slim Schaedle
11-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Does anyone have any recommended reading on this topic as far as books go. While I'm not in any position to take classes at the moment, I would like to eventually get into the field of Dietetics/Nutrition.
I just realized I have an ancient PM from you about this that I never responded to...and for that, I suck.

Pup is dead on.

Your best reading material is going to be a biochemistry book, or something more advanced and force yourself to learn the terminology.

The book Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism is the literally one of the best thing I have ever spent money on. It was for a nutrition class, althought we are only tested on about an 8th of it.

If you are looking to go into the field of Nut/Dietetics, you really have to prepare yourself to be able to hold your thoughts back b/c almost nothing you learn in class or are taught to promote, follows our logic and practices here.

In a class I am taking right now (Medical Nutrition Therapy) I have to hold myself back from asking challenging questions and just go with the flow.

I am due to graduate this spring in Dietetics and then enter into an internship in able to become registered, but I think I have faced the fact that I have no desire to do that anymore, so I might as well keep going to school for the rest of my young adult life in order to do something in nutrition that really interests me.

(not to mention my younger brother by 2 years is a PT making 6 figures and that really pisses me off...and I can't compete with that by being an RD:) )

On the other hand, if you feel you would be content managing food service in a hospital, working with patients in hospitals, or working in the community in schools and such, then press on.

Pup
11-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Not to thread-jack, but any chance of a brief synopsis on the Nutrition and Metabolism book...i need something new to read.

One other thing Slim...since you are one of the most intelligent people i've seen on this board for nutritional science, do yourself a favor, go into a grad program where you can study real people with cutting edge science, Layne Norton (most people know him as Str8flexed) is doing that at Univ. of Illinois and his work on protein synthesis/metabolism is quite impressive...you have that same kind of talent.

Slim Schaedle
11-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Not to thread-jack, but any chance of a brief synopsis on the Nutrition and Metabolism book...i need something new to read.

One other thing Slim...since you are one of the most intelligent people i've seen on this board for nutritional science, do yourself a favor, go into a grad program where you can study real people with cutting edge science, Layne Norton (most people know him as Str8flexed) is doing that at Univ. of Illinois and his work on protein synthesis/metabolism is quite impressive...you have that same kind of talent.
Right now I am loosley planning on that.

There are some chem, biology, and physics courses that dietetics did not require me to take...so I thinking of taking all next year to knock those out and apply for grad school next year. I haven't done anything as far as GRE, or even taking practice tests.

The main decision is where to go, but I will look into to what you mentioned.

Research is really sparking my interest right now

Y0yo
11-26-2006, 09:29 PM
No worries Slim...I just figured you were busy.

I knew that there would be times when what I've learned to be true here would be the opposite of what they might teach at school. I was hoping to be able to graduate and then apply more of what I've learned here, and through studies to help people with obesity. In the time I do study, I hope that other opportunities present themselves so that I don't have to go into a food services job. This is just a starting point.

I will check out the books you recommended, and I'll check pubmed. I'm just looking for a stepping stone I suppose.