PDA

View Full Version : Cutting fat (new guy question)

SEALBound
11-26-2006, 03:55 PM
I've been working out for quite a few months now, I've taken advantage of most of the info on this site including the WBB #2 routine. I've made some gains, particularly in strenth which really, is all i'm interested in.

I do, however, have this layer of body that I can not get rid of. I've decided that I'd really like to have a small BF% and look cut with nicely toned muscles. Its not that much fat, but still enough to keep you from seeing a six pack.

I work out MWF (WBB #2), TR are cardio days (typically exercise bikes). 1-2 a week I play in hockey games. I drink a lot of protein and try to keep unhealthy foods to a minimum (kinda tough when you're in college).

I think I'd like to try Thermocin from AtLarge and the Protein as well. I'd also like to get some cutting gel, looking at the gel from Nutrasport. Something that will get rid of this freaking layer of body fat thats covering me.

If I did take the Thermocin and the cutting gel and it started to burn the fat, would I lose that much in mass? If I did loose a little, I wouldn't mind that much as looking cut and chistled is what I'm really interested in right now.

Anyway, if you guys could give me a little advice on what to do, I'd appreciate it.

Built
11-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Please describe your diet.

Total calories, grams of protein, carb and fat. We'll start there.

SEALBound
11-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Morning:
Protein shake, 2 scoops: 46g Protein, 3g Fat, 4g Carbs: 220 Cals
Muscle Gainer skake: 23g Protein, 3g Fat, 52g Carbs: 320 Cals

Mid Day: Boost Suppliment drink: 15g Protein, 6g Fat, 33g Carbs: 240 Cals
Then something else, maybe like Pop Tarts or some Chex Mix. Sometimes I bring some protein powder and have a shake. Protein, Fat, Carbs, Cals...?

Then I work out: 2 Creatine pills

Post work out: Protein Shake: 46g Protein, 3g Fat, 4g Carbs: 220 Cals

Dinner:
Its either Chicken breasts, chicken strips, Banquet Meal (Spagetti, Fetticini Alfrado) Turkey Sandwiches.

Chicken breasts: 46g Protein, 5g fat, 0 carbs, 220 cals.
Chicken Strips: 37.5g Protein, 28g fat, 30g Carbs, 600 cals
TV Dinners: 15g Protein, 15g fat, 44g Carbs, 370 cals
Turkey Sandwich: 8g Protein, 3.5g fat, 4g carbs, 150 cals

Then at some point during the night I'll have a snack. Sometimes Peanut butter (crunchy), or some corn chips (scoops). I try to get the junk food at a minimum. I also eat popsicles...

Before bed: Protein shake: 46g Protein, 3g Fat, 4g Carbs: 220 Cals

Typical day: 220g +- protein, 60 +- g Fat, 133g +- Carbs, 2200 +- Cals.

Sometimes there is some junk food in there but I try to keep it at a minimum.

SEALBound
11-26-2006, 05:26 PM
If I knew an exact diet to follow...I'd do it. I'd structure my day around it. I hate cottage cheese and tuna. The only real vegetable I like is corn. But to rid myself of my layer of fat I'd eat anything, except cc and tuna. I don't mind not having variety. If there was a set diet...I'd do it.

DarrenEff
11-26-2006, 06:05 PM
You're going to have to post your weight too.

SEALBound
11-26-2006, 06:26 PM
5'10" 163lbs. Body fat ?

Built
11-27-2006, 01:14 AM
"Typical day: 220g +- protein, 60 +- g Fat, 133g +- Carbs, 2200 +- Cals."

Okay, at 163 lbs, if you're at 20% bodyfat (I somehow doubt it's this high, but just to get a "worst-case" scenario), you have at least 130 lbs LBM on you. You might want to increase your fat just a smidge, but overally, this isn't bad, except the calories look a little low.

I'm not sure how long you've kept your cals low like this, but you might want to take a bit of a diet break and go to maintenance mode for a bit, gradually increasing your calories while keeping your weight relatively stable.

You'll probably find you'll harden up a bit doing this, and it'll put you in a better position to resume your cut when you're ready in a month or two.

Either that, or it's time to start weighing your food and tracking on fitday for a bit - you may be eating more calories than you THINK you are.

SEALBound
11-27-2006, 04:17 AM
What about the cutting gel to help mobalize the small layer of body fat on me?

WildJames
11-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Isn't it better to get most of your protein from real foods as opposed to mostly shakes as you are? Isn't that why they're called a supplement?

Built
11-29-2006, 04:14 PM
SEAL - they don't work

Wild - doesn't matter.