PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit ?

markdk86
11-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Ok. What would be the difference between this and say Bill Starrs 5x5 (ran it once already)?

It seems Crossfit is based much more on endurance while working at cardiovascular, gymnastic, and weight workouts. It has me highly intrigued considering I really don't want to become muscle bound. If I ever start MMA like I want to I could slim down even further with Crossfit and I have faith it would still keep me strong.

Also, what could I do since I don't have access to kettleballs or items required for some of the workouts because I have plain gyms in the area and at my college?

Basically I'm looking for Anthony, the Crossfit master :)

ericg
11-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Dont worry about not having KBs, the CF program is highly adaptable and flexible.

It mainly incorporates weight training focusing on PL/OL movements, HIIT, and steady state cardio.

I know one thing that Anthony will say is to alter the program to focus on your weakness; if you have a 2000 total in the big 3 but cannot get off of the couch to take a **** w/out getting winded then you should focus on hiit/endurance.

Anthony
11-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Well, the difference between Bill Starr's 5x5 and Crossfit is that 5x5 is a specific workout program while Crossfit is a set of principles. I know that's difficult for some people to grasp, but the workout they post on the front page is an EXAMPLE of how to implement the principles. If you check the affiliate websites, you'll notice almost all of them implement a different workout. Why? Different strengths, different weaknesses, different goals.

So like Eric said, learn the Crossfit principles and apply them based on your weaknesses. Here's a good place to start:

Constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity.

Constantly varied = rarely repeat the exact same workout. Vary the volume, intensity, order, time, exercise variation, etc. Think periodization.

Functional movements = use movements that have a DIRECT impact on performance in sport and life. Squat, deadlift, lunge, etc.

High intensity = do most of your work above 90% of your 1RM and/or above 90% of your MHR.

If you follow those three principles, you can use any method you want and call it Crossfit and no one will know the difference.

We currently train in a plain-jane gym and don't have access to the best equipment, but we learn to improvise. A kettlebell is just a fancy dumbbell. Or vice versa. Don't have a rope to climb? Hang a towel over the chinup bar. Etc, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Hope this helps!

markdk86
11-27-2006, 12:49 PM
It really did. Thanks Anthony. For someone who follows Crossfit closely and has a good diet what kind of results could be expected as compared to a proper diet with 5x5 ?

Anthony
11-27-2006, 01:15 PM
More well rounded athletic performance. :D

markdk86
11-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Gracias Anthony. Once I can get signed up with a MMA school I'll also begin Crossfit. I want to do both in unison.

markdk86
11-27-2006, 09:46 PM
I checked out the rings the one member of crossfit makes. That certainly can make this much more possible to do. I'm getting more interested^^

Anthony
11-28-2006, 05:23 AM
I've only had rings for a few months ... you don't NEED them, although they certainly are fun. Stop making excuses and just get it done. ;)

markdk86
11-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Lol I know Anthony geeze :P. So should I start with the WOD or is there somewhere else to tune the program ?

Anthony
11-28-2006, 08:00 AM
It will probably be easiest to start with the WOD so you get a feel for things (frequency, volume, movements, etc). Then adjust as your weaknesses are exposed.

And don't be afraid to scale the workouts to something you can handle. My suggestion is to check the comments to get an idea of the average time/score and adjust the workout so that your time/score falls within that average.

markdk86
11-28-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm just concerned about my physique as compared to 5x5. I'm giving it a shot though.

Anthony
11-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't understand what you mean by "concerned about my physique." You're concerned that you'll lose size/muscle and/or gain fat?

markdk86
11-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Loose strength. I don't have much fat left to loose. I don't want to be big honestly, partly the reason I wanted to do this in conjunction with MMA so if I'm smaller I'd feel I can handle myself better than now. But crossfit uses some crazy things, and I've always enjoyed the "WTF" looks :).

ddegroff
11-28-2006, 01:57 PM
All of those things your concerned with, has more to do with diet than the workout.

CF is a lot of fun. The WOD is the best place to start.

Anthony
11-29-2006, 05:50 AM
Loose strength. I don't have much fat left to loose. I don't want to be big honestly, partly the reason I wanted to do this in conjunction with MMA so if I'm smaller I'd feel I can handle myself better than now. But crossfit uses some crazy things, and I've always enjoyed the "WTF" looks :).

I've been using CF for over a year and I recently set PRs on every major lift I've ever performed. So has my girlfriend.

I wouldn't be concerned about losing strength. ;)

markdk86
11-29-2006, 06:38 AM
I've been using CF for over a year and I recently set PRs on every major lift I've ever performed. So has my girlfriend.

I wouldn't be concerned about losing strength. ;)

Do you use the WOD or modified ? You look damn good Anthony.

Anthony
11-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Do you use the WOD or modified ? You look damn good Anthony.

We use a slightly modified routine (right now is heavily modified for me because I'm rehabing an injury from competition).

D1: strength (2 heavy compound lifts, 2 plyos (optional), wave the volume each week)
D2: metcon (use the WOD if it's metcon, otherwise sub something else)
D3: metcon (use the WOD if it's metcon, otherwise sub something else)
D4: rest
Repeat

A lot of people use something similar. They either add a strength day on the first day or the middle day. Some use Dan John's OLAD, some use ME Black Box, some use 5x5, etc.

But also keep in mind that the WOD is evolving to include more strength days as well. In fact, if you compare strength days in the WOD with ME days in Westside's conjugated method, they are VERY similar.

markdk86
11-29-2006, 07:18 AM
I will start with the WOD's than. Then I may move on to include one day with more strength work if needed. I ma be starting a full time job soon while going to college full time too so the shortened WOD compared to Bill Starr 5x5 will be nice. I appreciate all your help.

markdk86
11-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Going back to the school gym to workout now. I forgot about the CF Warmup to. Makes me feel better about the low volume of CF.

Edit. Doing it tomorrow. Damn gym was way to crowded. Dip station used, pullups used, powerrack used..... stupid free college gym but wait! you need a quarter to use your locker !

I miss the YMCA :(

RedSpikeyThing
11-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Do you think combining crossfit with Westside would be an interesting idea? Use the workout of the day for DE days and do Westside MEs? Or would this just end up with lots of overtraining?

clawhammer_33
11-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Do you think combining crossfit with Westside would be an interesting idea? Use the workout of the day for DE days and do Westside MEs? Or would this just end up with lots of overtraining?

Thats similar to what I have been doing for about 12 weeks now. 1 weight/2 crossfit metcon/ 1 off, took several weeks to work up to it. So far has been working well, as far as strength and conditioning gains.

Anthony
11-30-2006, 05:37 AM

Yeah, that's pretty similar to what we do, but we probably use less volume on the ME day. For example, we currently use:

ME/CF/CF/OFF

You suggest

ME/CF/OFF/ME/CF/OFF/OFF

?

I think that would go over well.

markdk86
11-30-2006, 05:39 AM
I think it would really depend of the volume of the ME day.

ericg
11-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Yeah, that's pretty similar to what we do, but we probably use less volume on the ME day. For example, we currently use:

ME/CF/CF/OFF

You suggest

ME/CF/OFF/ME/CF/OFF/OFF

?

This is kinda what I am doing now. Prob not a ME day but more of a "weights" day. Eventually it will be a ME day once I get rolling again.

RedSpikeyThing
11-30-2006, 07:28 AM
ME/CF/OFF/ME/CF/OFF/OFF

?

I'm not sure of what I was suggesting lol The full Westside routine kills me as is, so maybe alternate ME and CS for a total of 3 workouts per week.

Week 1: ME Off CS Off ME off off
Week 2: CS off ME off CS off off
Week 3: repeat

markdk86
11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Ok I did Barbara today after the Cf warmup. I thought I was fit.... I'm not. I can't do more then 5 pullups, need to learn how to do the kipping pullups. The rest I was fine with but god damn after the 1st set my numbers went down in half except for air squats.

I don't think I ate enough carbs before going. I ate and started a hour later and intensity like this for me compared to 5x5 made me feel exausted and my mental status started to feel like I was going hypoglycemic, and I almost met Pukey the Clown. Next time I'm eatting more than an apple and some Cot. Cheese before going, and waiting longer so its in my system better....

But damn one I adjust to Cf it's going to be fun. To think I was worried lol.

Anthony
11-30-2006, 07:41 AM
red: that would work too!!

mark: barbara is a tough one. What were your times?

markdk86
11-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I didn't even time it. Total... it took about 15-28 minutes but I couldn't complete all the pullups and pushups after the 1st set. I feel bad. Can bench over 200, squat over 300, and dead 400, and this kicked my ass.... I love it.

ericg
11-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Wait till you try Fran. My first time took me 25 min or so and then I see people doing it in fewer than 4. Humbling.

ddegroff
11-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Mark I had the same experience.

I don't think CF ever get's easier, just your time gets shorter.

markdk86
11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
If it wasn't a free school gym I WOULD work till I puke. Oh well.

I just realized Barbara was 5 rounds, I tried 3. Oh well. I like a challenge.

Anthony
11-30-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't think CF ever get's easier, just your time gets shorter.

Amen to that. One of the aspects I really like about CF is the mental toughness it builds. There's nothing like going to the gym knowing that no matter how strong you are, how fast you are, or how much stamina you have ... you're still going to lose and more than likely it will be a major ass whooping.

markdk86
11-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Tomorrow is a 6 mile run after the Cf Warmup. I usually run 4 so it will be nice to push myself :)

Anthony
12-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Yeah, haha, as if I'm going to waste a workout on that!!! I just ran 5km recently, it was boring as hell!!!!!

markdk86
12-01-2006, 05:44 AM
I enjoy running but I usually do it outside, I'm going to see if I can find the track that is supposidly in the school gym. Otherwise I need to improvise on the Cf warmup. I just woke up, I'm sore. Today will be interesting :-/.

markdk86
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Ok, the 10k run sucked. Breaks down to 6.2 miles, I got 4 miles down. Then the last 2 were hell. I need new running shoes. Got blisters :(

manowar669
12-01-2006, 11:43 AM
I've been CFing for 7 weeks or so now. I hate running! My fiance is Cfing with me now, so that's cool. She likes running, so I guess I'm running damnit. Rain and 50mph wind gusts too, should be fun.
Yeah, I thought I was in shape, but Crossfit will change your mind about that! My first Fran was 8 minutes, but I was sucking wind for about 10min after that.

markdk86
12-02-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm lucky, if I go to my school gym I have a 1/12th track to run on.

manowar669
12-02-2006, 05:39 AM
Running laps on a track bores the hell out of me. I like to run outside, in the woods if possible.

markdk86
12-02-2006, 07:09 AM
I never run inside too, I get bored easily but I'm in the Northeast so the weather stunk yesterday.

manowar669
12-02-2006, 10:03 AM
We had the high winds, rain and thunderstorms too, but I still ran......
you
V
V
http://www.kitten-pictures.com/images/Kitten-Pictures-82.jpg

Just kidding, it really did suck though.

Bohizzle
12-02-2006, 09:13 PM
lol that pussy looks like gizmo from Gremlins! haha

Andrew